Mason over Bryz? REALLY?

Guest caluso

Thank you Paul Holmgren, resident comedian - the jokes keep coming.

Are we to believe that the Flyers are going to amnesty Bryz's contract for Mason. Really???????? For all of Bryz's warts, he has been one of the few bright spots; and, I daresay, if he wasn't forced to play EVERY game, his stats and play would have been even better (but, when the resident comedian doesnt have a legitimate backup on the team...)

Has anyone in the Flyers personnel department (and I use that term loosely) seen how badly Mason has played the last 4 years? Since his roookie season, his save percentage of .899 ranks 39 out of 39 for goalies who have played at least 100 games. Terrible! And, this is the guy that Reese "believes in" and this is the guy who is going to replace Bryz. Hysterical. Then again, why was I dumb enough to think that our resident comedian could judge goaltending talent: he traded Bob and cut Ericksson,

Seriously, the laughs keep coming. As long as this idiot is making personnel decisions, we will be without the Cup.

FIRE HOLMGREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by caluso

agreed, not to menion getting someone from a bad columbus team with no playoff experience and backing up bob is not very promising, he could another leighton for all we know, i would rather get a backup that has playoff experience and from a successful team and has good numbers. not a retread player of course.

Edited by toughfighter83

Thank you Paul Holmgren, resident comedian - the jokes keep coming.

Has anybody other than me seen how bad Mason has played the last 4 years. Since his roookie season, his save percentage of .899 ranks 39 out of 39 for goalies who have played at least 100 games. Terrible!

But, why was I dumb enough to think that our resident comedian could judge goaltending talent: he traded Bob and cut Ericksson,

Seriously, the laughs keep coming. As long as this idiot is making personnel decisions, we will be without the Cup.

FIRE HOLMGREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And sadly, the guy who's been paid a fortune to play goals' save percentage sits at ...wait for it......899. And you're complaining about Mason, who doesn't make anywhere near the money and who's contract is expiring? You can't make this stuff up.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

.899 beats out .824 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Bryzturtlov is not and probably never will be confused with the "answer". Is Mason the answer? I would call him an upgrade over both Leighton and Boosh...and I like Boosh....

.899 beats out .824 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Bryzturtlov is not and probably never will be confused with the "answer". Is Mason the answer? I would call him an upgrade over both Leighton and Boosh...and I like Boosh....

-

Mason can't tie Bryz's jock (for the record, Bryz's save percentage as a flyer is .907). Why did we give up a third rounder for this guy? Seriously, Holmgren acquired a 2 for Bob - who had unlimited potential and a great work ethic (and i said so at the time on the Flyers forum), yet he gave up a 3 for Mason who might be the worst goalie in the league. There's something wrong with that math!

As Flyercanuck said, you can't make this stuff up.

Edited by caluso
  • Like 1

I hope Mason is not the answer (even in the short term) but I'll take Mason at a lower cap hit than Bryz. There's more value (if you can call it that) in Mason than there is in Bryz at this point.

-

Mason can't tie Bryz's jock. Why did we give up a third rounder for this guy? Seriously, Holmgren acquired a 2 for Bob - who had unlimited potential and a great work ethic (and i said so at the time on the Flyers forum), yet he gave up a 3 for Mason who might be the worst goalie in the league. There's something wrong with that math!

Is this Bryz? Shouldn't you be getting ready for the game tonight. I wasn't in favor of the trade but Mason has a huge upside. I don't think the Flyers are done adding goaltenders. The summer should be interesting. I really think Bryz's act has worn thin with the Flyers and has become kind of embarrassing. I will be disappointed if he is not gone this summer.

Mason just needs to keep his head up and in the game.

It's not "Mason is better than Bryz" at this point, it's "Mason is better than Leighton" - which I don't think anyone can possibly argue.

do you think he was worth trading a 3rd rounder for?

I hope Mason is not the answer (even in the short term) but I'll take Mason at a lower cap hit than Bryz. There's more value (if you can call it that) in Mason than there is in Bryz at this point.

what are you talking about? you "hope that Mason is not the answer but there's more value in Mason"???????

what does that even mean?

the bottom line is: who gives us the best chance to succeed and win a Cup. Mason is Terrible, he might be the worst goalie in the league. Bryz is not perfect but he is is much better than Mason and if he actually was able to take a game or two off, his stats and play would be much better. I don't care who you are, you can't be expected to play EVERY game and not get worn down.

what are you talking about? you "hope that Mason is not the answer but there's more value in Mason"???????

what does that even mean?

the bottom line is: who gives us the best chance to succeed and win a Cup. Mason is Terrible, he might be the worst goalie in the league. Bryz is not perfect but he is is much better than Mason and if he actually was able to take a game or two off, his stats and play would be much better. I don't care who you are, you can't be expected to play EVERY game and not get worn down.

Last night's game was a perfect microcosm of Bryz's problems. He can't stop a one on one shot about 80 % of the time and loses focus during the game at the worst possible moments. .824 save percentage coming off of 2 days of rest...and only faced what, 18 shots? I wouldn't mind being worn down like that at work.......

Something happened to Bryz on the plane from Phoenix to Philly. He became very slow and really small in the net. I guess when you have that much money in your pockets it's harder to move fast. And you become scared of the puck. First and third goals last night were something.

Homer takes shots at players that are undervalued, 'in a rut' or coming back from injury. So far he has had pretty good return on his investment. (Zherdev, Jagr, Emery....)

He knew what we had in Leighton and Boosh. They were stop gaps at best. Mason has more potential in one hand than Leighton has in his whole body.

Talent Analysis

Mason is a big goalie who plays sound positionally. He is a mature, confident and extremely poised goaltender, capable of making big saves at the key times in games. Mason has a strong work ethic, and thinks the game well. He's got good lateral mobility, and plays the puck extremely well.

Poise, thinks the game well and Plays the puck well - all things Bryz sorely lacks at this point in his career.

Just having a goalie that can play the puck decently will assist the defecemen a lot.

• Like 1

@caluso

Bryz' save percentage he brought from Phoenix does the Flyers what good exactly? His save percentage this year, which he's being paid TWICE as much as Mason, is the same save percentage (.899) that you're complaining about.

If we're going to have mediocre goaltending, we may as not overpay for it.

• Like 2

Last night's game was a perfect microcosm of Bryz's problems. He can't stop a one on one shot about 80 % of the time and loses focus during the game at the worst possible moments. .824 save percentage coming off of 2 days of rest...and only faced what, 18 shots? I wouldn't mind being worn down like that at work.......

i am not arguing that Bryz wasn't terrible last night. he was. i am talking about the big picture. Mason has been TERRIBLE for 4 years and by contrast, Bryz has been good. Certainly, this year, Bryz has been very good. i think we can all agree that the team defense in front of him has been horrible.

all i am saying is that giving up a third rounder for Mason was a mistake. additionally, if the flyers brass thinks that Mason is our "answer," then we are in big, big trouble.

this present regime has no idea how to judge - and more importantly - develop goalies. case in point, BOB! he was clearly athletic, talented and commited but Gomer and Lavy jerked him around and ultimately traded him.

Posted · Hidden by Digityman, April 4, 2013 - duplicate (hit unhide by accident)
Hidden by Digityman, April 4, 2013 - duplicate (hit unhide by accident)

i am not arguing that Bryz wasn't terrible last night. he was. i am talking about the big picture. Mason has been TERRIBLE for 4 years and by contrast, Bryz has been good. Certainly, this year, Bryz has been very good. i think we can all agree that the team defense in front of him has been horrible.

all i am saying is that giving up a third rounder for Mason was a mistake. additionally, if the flyers brass thinks that Mason is our "answer," then we are in big, big trouble.

this present regime has no idea how to judge - and more importantly - develop goalies. case in point, BOB! he was clearly athletic, talented and commited but Gomer and Lavy jerked him around and ultimately traded him.

the bottom line is: who gives us the best chance to succeed and win a Cup.

--- You think this Team has a chance to win the Cup w/ Bryz? Really? Why not look for a goalie that has less of a cap hit that already provides mediocre goaltending like Bryz? Take that cash and build a nice defense around him...

--- You think this Team has a chance to win the Cup w/ Bryz? Really? Why not look for a goalie that has less of a cap hit that already provides mediocre goaltending like Bryz? Take that cash and build a nice defense around him...

according to your logic, it is ok to accept mediocre goaltending at a cheap price. why should we accept "mediocre goaltending" from ANYONE???????????????

and while Bryz is overpaid, he hasn't been mediocre - the team in front of him has.

-

Mason can't tie Bryz's jock (for the record, Bryz's save percentage as a flyer is .907). Why did we give up a third rounder for this guy? Seriously, Holmgren acquired a 2 for Bob - who had unlimited potential and a great work ethic (and i said so at the time on the Flyers forum), yet he gave up a 3 for Mason who might be the worst goalie in the league. There's something wrong with that math!

He *might* have given up the three so they'd take Leighton and gotten Mason for free. Both sound about fair.

do you think he was worth trading a 3rd rounder for?

Seriously, just getting rid of Leighton was worth the 3rd rounder. Getting a backup goalie was bonus.

But if they're entertaining the idea of Mason being our starter, they should all be drug screened.

according to your logic, it is ok to accept mediocre goaltending at a cheap price. why should we accept "mediocre goaltending" from ANYONE???????????????

and while Bryz is overpaid, he hasn't been mediocre - the team in front of him has.

--- Understand the logic here... why would you OVERPAY for mediocrity!?! And where did I say we should except medocre play? You rather pay a middle of the road Goalie like he is a top 5 in the league? Glad you are not running the team...

Edited by murraycraven