Fleury unfolds again under playoff pressure

Guest hf101

What is it with Fleury and playoff pressure?

Amazing. Complete loss of confidence again.

There has to be some stats available as to how similar last years Flyers playoff are to this years Penguins - Islanders matchup.

Vokoun has to start game 5.

• Like 1

you should see the Pens message boards...they are lighting up like a christmas tree calling for Vokoun to start.

Ok @Polaris922, if Blysma does start Vokoun and the Pens lose the game and then go on to lose the series....is Blysma fired? Serious question here.....does he stay or does he go?

Bylsma should be fired if they don't win the Cup. For as talented as this team is, they shouldn't be worrying about first round exits every year. Its not like they have a major injury holding them back, and that's still not an excuse. The Pens should not be 1-2 in playoff games with Crosby this year.

I can't blame Bylsma really... But something has to give. Malkin didn't help tonight with his stupid penalties... But if Vokoun goes in and they still lose I guess it'll depend on what the problem is. Our defense is playing well enough to win... Fleury is not.

I'd expect to see Vokoun starting next game. And I still think the Pens take the series, but there are some serious questions regarding goal tending going forward from here. MAF has been melting down in recent years and that I would not put on the coach. Polaris is right, Malkin being a complete f-head does not help the situation either. No to derail the subject, but I can see Malkin getting moved in the off season to the Flyers for Ilya Bryzgalov. Goal tending problem solved :ph34r: :blink: .

Other wise, this has been an unexpectedly awesome series to watch.

@Polaris922 Looking at last years series with the Flyers and then this years with the Islanders, the amount of goals being scored by both sides is just amazing. I would think it comes down to Bylsma's system, no?

Nope... I don't. I think it comes down to Fleury putting no less than two into his own net every game this series except game 1. He's been horrible and between last year and this year, I've lost confidence in him as a playoff performer.

• Like 1

Especially if DB goes with Vokoun and they lose, I don't know how you put this on the coach.

If they are otherwise playing well enough to win but the goalie craps the bed I can't justifiably blame the coach. If the coach then does the only option he has available to him (i.e., play the backup they got for this very reason) and lose I still can't blame the coach even if the immediate reason in that loss is the defense or sudden lack of scoring. At that point, I just think circumstances turned against the guy (DB).

Unlike Philly, one place you certainly can't point the finger is at the the GM.

I understand looking at the coach, but ultimately I don't know what he's supposed to do if his $5M goalie suddenly plays like our $6M guy.

Nope... I don't. I think it comes down to Fleury putting no less than two into his own net every game this series except game 1. He's been horrible and between last year and this year, I've lost confidence in him as a playoff performer.

The problem is if Fleury has no confidence how does his teammates have confidence in him to stop the puck, the way it's going the Pens will have to score 7 goals just to have a chance to win the game. I think you'll see Vokoun in the nets in game 5.

• Like 1

Historically, Fleury's had one "great" run in the playoffs and several mediocre seasons.

2006–07 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 5 1 4 — — 287 18 0 3.76 0.880

2007–08 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 20 14 6 — — 1251 41 3 1.97 0.933

2008–09 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 24 16 8 — — 1447 63 0 2.61 0.908

2009–10 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 13 7 6 — — 798 37 1 2.78 0.891

2010–11 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 7 3 4 — — 405 17 1 2.52 0.899

2011–12 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 6 2 4 — — 337 26 0 4.63 0.834

His career playoff numbers are 2.68/.904 - but take out the 1.97/.933 in 07-08 (when he swept the Cup winner into his own goal, btw) and those numbers certainly go up.

He's basically had two good runs, and the second one was four seasons ago.

Since then, he's lost in the second round to an eight seed (MON); lost the next year in a series the Pens were up 3-1 (TBL); had his meltdown against the Flyers and now is struggling against the Isles.