YOU are GM...

Guest ZeZel25

You're named GM, Now you have to make these key decisions, who ya got or what do you do...

1) Who do you buyout, if anyone?

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it?

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ?

4) Who are you going to cut?

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who?

6) Any coaching changes?

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up?

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick?

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep?

10) Your starters on the ice for the opening whistle next year are?

Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick?

Risto or Pulock.

Would love a shot at Jones but the NHL didn't rig that just to trade the pick....DRAMA!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

You're named GM, Now you have to make these key decisions, who ya got or what do you do...

1) Who do you buyout, if anyone? - briere and bryzgalov

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it? - streit

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? - bernier

4) Who are you going to cut? - cut? can't cut. gervais is in the minors, though, if I can't move him.

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? - really depends on who is actually out there and what their negotiations look like. shattenkirk, maybe, I guess.

6) Any coaching changes? - no. laviolette would get a good talking to, though. the roster is not at a point where go-go-go offense can be the primary marching orders. offensive focus, ok, but it can't be as exclusive as laviolette wants it to be, yet. two or three years, yes, go-go-go, but right now, he has to pay attention to the other side of the puck.

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? - there would be spots for them to win in camp. no gifts, but if they made it hard to send them down, then absolutely.

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? - also hard to say without knowing what the exact situation is. who is left? keep the pick, but take the highest ranked guy left.

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? - gagne, fedotenko (though apparently he wants out), hall.

10) Your starters on the ice for the opening whistle next year are? - schenn-giroux-voracek / streit-schenn / mason

• Like 1

With 50% of this forum not exactly on the Holmgren bandwagon, his leash should be pretty tight...

Buy out Bryz. Not so much for his play but that damn contract

Streit/filipula

Trade briere and our first to buffalo for their first. This frees up cap space and saves a buyout for hartnell,again damn contract

No cuts

Depends on who's out there at what price but I'm looking for someone to play with giroux

Maybe a bench coach change but there is a short leash on lavy

Ollie and Gus get fair shot at making team

Best available but that depends on my progress on the fa/buyout/ offer sheet and trade plan

Gags for the right price

Undecided until end of camp

1) Who do you buyout, if anyone? - Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere. Too much money for too little production to justify keeping either, and I don't see either accepting a trade (unless they were willing to accept a trade to a team that would then buy them out, but that seems unlikely as well.)

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it? - I can't field a team by signing just one guy, honestly. I'd rather spread the money around to two or three players. If I absolutely had to concentrate the cash, it'd probably be Mark Streit, but if I could get Brad Boyes, Joe Corvo, and Nikolai Khabibulin (for example) for the same cost as Streit, plugging several holes while conserving money for the Giroux/Schenn/Read/Couturier/Meszaros extension offseason, I'd have to consider that.

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? - Given the amount of cash we're going to be plunking out next offseason, I'm probably going to have to consider trading Read for someone who is productive and more cost-controlled, unless he accepts an offer to be underpaid for the next couple years. Much as I don't like losing him, my first thought is to see if Phoenix, which has cap space, had a terrible offensive season, and has a solid NHL-level defensive corps, would be interested in a deal for Read, with a target being David Rundblad (Yandle, if I'm really, really lucky.) My other plan would be to trade Read, who's going to want more than $2.5M, I'm sure, to Calgary (who rumor has it is hot under the collar for him) for Curtis Glencross, who produces well and is locked in for two seasons after this one. Bits and pieces could go either way with this deal, but there's something to be had there.

Then again, Feaster's in Calgary, so maybe I should hold out for Sven Baertschi.

4) Who are you going to cut? - Rusty, Shelley, Knuble, Walker, Foster, and Huskins get wished the best of luck. I'll replace them with Phantoms or minimum-salary vets if at all possible.

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? - No, unless we've spoken with the team and player beforehand and everyone's agreed, so there's no hard feelings. If so, it'd be someone from the Pietrangelo/Bogosian/Rundblad/Shattenkirk group (since the only Capital less likely to move than Alzner is Ovechkin), and it would cost us a pretty penny, both in cash and in the assets we trade away.

6) Any coaching changes? - Not before the season starts.

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? - Gus makes the Flyers roster this year unless I move Read for a top D. Lauridsen's a Phantom.

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? - Depends on who's there, honestly. My reasonable draft board likely goes Ristolainen/Pulock/Nichushkin, but obviously if one of Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon, or Nurse were to fall to 6 or so through some bizarre set of circumstances, I start checking the cupboard for assets to move up.

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? - Gagne, Gustafsson, Lauridsen, and Manning stay with the club, the latter two in the minors. Hall will stay if he signs for the same as this year, otherwise add him to the list in question 4.

10) Your starters on the ice for the opening whistle next year are? Giroux centering Hartnell and Voracek, Timonen and Schenn, in front of Mason. (if I sign Mark Streit, it's probably Timonen and Streit, instead.)

Edited by dilbert719

@peter puck

Interesting, trying to trade Danny Breire to save the buyout for Hartnell's sure to be boat anchor contract. It's a great idea , I wonder if he'd waive his nmc?

@dilbert719

There are a lot of good ideas in your post also, I know Rundblad is a popular under the radar guy and Read for him seems mutually beneficial .

I liked what Hall brought to the table in his brief time with us, I am on the fence about him, if the price is right I'd keep him around, pretty good veteran presence , plays an all situation game, I don't think keeping him will harm the development of some of the younger guys, his role is set, the young guys can continue to get top line minutes in the A so their games can grow rather than, 8-10 a night with 4-5 of that being on the PK .

This is a fun thread @.

I'll have to get un lazy and come up with some thoughts on this but it is an interesting exercise.

1) Who do you buyout, if anyone? Bryz and Briere

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it? Matt Cooke - and watch him take out Pens for a change. But seriously see what Horton wants....then...

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? Hartnell and our 2nd to the Oilers for their 1st. He's a western boy and the Oil could use his grit and experience.

4) Who are you going to cut? Cut?

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? Stop the madness!

6) Any coaching changes? See ya Lavy, I bring in Dallas Eikins or see if I can get Tippett and Sean Burke away from Phoenix

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? Gus stays. If you can move Meszaros so does Lauridson.

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? Depends on who gets picked ahead of us. I can see Nichushkin dropping...how far we'll have to wait and see. If he's there I take him. Pulock or Ristolainen are more realistic.

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? Gus and Lauridson I guess

10) Your starters on the ice for the opening whistle next year are? Schenn - Giroux - Voracek - Schenn - Timonen- Mason

Great discussion thread @!

Let me throw in my 2 cents.

Bryz (as stated before me, not so much his play, which is borderline average, but because of his stupid contract)

Briere. Thanks for the memories, but your production during the regular season has been decreasing. Granted you elavate your game coe playoff time, but you have become a luxury the Flyers can no longer afford.

Ray Emory. You need a solid back-up. He has proven his worth in Chi-town. His cap hit is not to bad at 1.15 million. Unless you try to trade for Bernier, you need to replace Bryz. With only 1 move being allowed in this thread, it must be for a proven back-up netminder. The million dollar question is, does Emery want to come back to Flyerland and be a potential back-up again? If you do land Bernier then go after Mark Streit, though his cap hit is high at 4.1 million and he is 35.

See above. Try to go after Bernier. If not, see what you can get for Mez.

Easy one here. Shelley / Walker / Gervais / the Blushin Russian (Fedetenko) / Foster / Knuble

No

6) Any coaching changes?

No, have to give Lavy one more chance, however if they start out slow again...look for him to get the axe.

I keep both. Gus a must. Lauridsen depends if we can move Mezzarros or not.

Agree with most. Depends on who is available.

Hall / Gangne / Huskins (as a 7th) depending on what happens with Mez. .

Giroux / Vorachek / B. Schenn

L. Schenn / Kimmo

Mason

=======================================================================================================================

Just for fun:

B. Schenn / Giroux / Voracek

Hartnell / Couturier / Simmonds

Gagne / Laughton (Talbot) / Read

McGinn / Zac / Hall

L. Schenn / Kimmo

Grossman / Coburn

Guss / Streit (Lauridson)

extra: Huskins / Rosehill

Mason / Emory (Bernier)

1) Who do you buyout, if anyone? Briere

2) You get to sign 1 free agent, who is it? Mark Streit

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? Couturier (and maybe Meszaros if it will help) to Anaheim for Sbisa and John Gibson

4) Who are you going to cut? ?

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? If I was Homer it would probably be Pietrangelo. But since I'm sane, nobody.

6) Any coaching changes? No, but Lavi is on a short leash.

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? They both get a shot at TC obviously. I would hope both would stick, Gus being more likely.

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? If Nurse is available I take him. If he's not, probably Ristoleinen > Hagg > Pulock, in that order of preference.

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? Gags, Gus, Lauridsen, Hall

10) Your starters on the ice for the opening whistle next year are? I'll leave that to the coach :ph34r:

Edited by JackStraw

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it? Matt Cooke - and watch him take out Pens for a change. But seriously see what Horton wants....then...

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? Hartnell and our 2nd to the Oilers for their 1st. He's a western boy and the Oil could use his grit and experience.

4) Who are you going to cut? Cut?

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? Stop the madness!

6) Any coaching changes? See ya Lavy, I bring in Dallas Eikins or see if I can get Tippett and Sean Burke away from Phoenix

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? Gus stays. If you can move Meszaros so does Lauridson.

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? Depends on who gets picked ahead of us. I can see Nichushkin dropping...how far we'll have to wait and see. If he's there I take him. Pulock or Ristolainen are more realistic.

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? Gus and Lauridson I guess

10) Your starters on the ice for the opening whistle next year are? Schenn - Giroux - Voracek - Schenn - Timonen- Mason

By cut, I meant , who's not wanted back

6) Any coaching changes?

1 Daniel Briere, i like ya Danny thanks but the math doesn't add up. Ilya Bryzgalov, again not the worst guy but the contract isn't equal to the performance.

2 Rob Scuderi if the lengnth can be kept reasonable see if he'll take 3.75-4

3 I would see who Matt Read could bring back I like the thought for him for Rundblad , I also see if anyone is interested in a power forward with great teeth , provided he'll waive his nmc.

4 Shelley , Fedotenko , Foster, Knuble, Huskins,

5. I talk with Hextall and Lombardi and see if they are adamant about signing Bernier and then depending on the answer I offer Bernier a contract.

6. Short leash for Laviolette and see if Larry Robinson can be lured away from NJ to work with the young defense and if the boys are tuning Pete out it's an easy promotion.

7. I let those guys compete for a spot, I lean towards Gus on the big team and letting The Great Dane get top pair duty and power play time in the A...

8. Nishukin if he's there, Pullock, Ristolienen, Haag in that order.

9.simon Gagne for 2 x 3 Hall for a slight raise.

10. Giroux centering Voracek and Gagne Scuderi and L Schenn, Mason's job to lose.

Edited by mojo1917

1 Daniel Briere, i like ya Danny thanks but the math doesn't add up. Ilya Bryzgalov, again not the worst guy but the contract isn't equal to the performance.

2 Rob Scuderi if the lengnth can be kept reasonable see if he'll take 3.75-4

3 I would see who Matt Read could bring back I like the thought for him for Rundblad , I also see if anyone is interested in a power forward with great teeth , provided he'll waive his nmc.

4 Shelley , Fedotenko , Foster, Knuble, Huskins,

5. I talk with Hextall and Lombardi and see if they are adamant about signing Bernier and then depending on the answer I offer Bernier a contract.

6. Short leash for Laviolette and see if Larry Robinson can be lured away from NJ to work with the young defense and if the boys are tuning Pete out it's an easy promotion.

7. I let those guys compete for a spot, I lean towards Gus on the big team and letting The Great Dane get top pair duty and power play time in the A...

8. Nishukin if he's there, Pullock, Ristolienen, Haag in that order.

9.simon Gagne for 2 x 3 Hall for a slight raise.

10. Giroux centering Voracek and Gagne Scuderi and L Schenn, Mason's job to lose.

Like Robinson as coach...

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it? Horton from the Bruins. Big, young and can get 20 - 25 goals plus add playoff experience

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? I would trade Coburn for ANYTHING of value provided Mez and Grossmann are 100% healthy

4) Who are you going to cut? Not cut but I would let Fedo, Shelley, Knuble, and Hall walk. I also let Huskins, Walker and Foster walk (all UFA's)

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? NO although I might try to work out a sign and trade with the Kings for Bernier

6) Any coaching changes? Not initially

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? I definitely retain Gus's and the Big O's rights (both RFA) but send Oliver to the A

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? I draft the best defenseman on the board and hope its Risto or Nikita

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? Gags is the only one I consider provided his salary demands are realistic

Giroux centering Horton and Jake

Kimo and Schenn

1) Who do you buyout, if anyone? I would only buy Bryz out this year and keep Breier (if he cant be traded this offseason). Next season I look to see if I can move Briere allowing us to have the 2nd buyout for next summer. Somone, if Danny is healthy, will trade for him come deadline... it is a gamble but I am willing to take it. If all is successful and Hartnell's play is not up to par I then look to buy him out.

2) You get too sign 1 free agent, who is it? Streit if the money is not crazy... also needs to be a short contract. If not I look to add size up front with Clarkson but would refuse a bidding war for him

3) You get 1 trade, who is in it ? I do not trade for Yandle b/c you will have to overpay for something that is nothing more than another Matt Carle turnover machine. I contact the Blues and discuss a trade w. one of their defenseman. Additionally, I call the Yotes (dreaming here) and offer Read, Laughton and a 1st for OEL. Substitute Cooter for Read/Laughton if it would get the deal done...

4) Who are you going to cut? Foster, Gervais

5) Do you offer sheet someone, and who? No

6) Any coaching changes? No

7) Do you keep Lauridsen and Gus up? I would keep Gus with the big club but will evaluate during camp

8) Who do you draft in round 1, or do you trade the pick? if available Nurse or Risto

9) Which, if any, of your own F.A. do you keep? Bye bye

Hart, G, Jake

Kimm, Schenn