Worse GM Holmgren or Amaro

Mario99

I say both because both committed large $$$$ to guys who are not worth it, but Amaro took over a WS winner and lost every year than year before and Homer had a NHL finals team that imploded since

They are both lousy

• Like 1

I say both because both committed large $$$$ to guys who are not worth it, but Amaro took over a WS winner and lost every year than year before and Homer had a NHL finals team that imploded since

They are both lousy

me too they are both the same because they dont address the major needs the wins championships, pitching for the phillies and defense for the flyers.

Rubin Amoron is in a separate building all by himself. IMHO no one can come close to this guy when it comes to dumb trades. After seeing Bobrovsky win Vezina, I am surprised why Homer, and some of those morons working for him, still have a job.

This is a very hard question if one wants to actually ponder it, but it is also a question that amounts to "which smells worse: pig slime or chicken dung?"

Ultimately, though, who cares? They both stink like hell and should be discarded.

• Like 1

<br />me too they are both the same because they dont address the major needs the wins championships, pitching for the phillies and defense for the flyers.<br />

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16-Dec-06 Alexei Zhitnik New York Islanders Freddy Meyer & 2007 Conditional 3rd Rounder (Mark Katic)

15-Feb-07 Ryan Parent,Scottie Upshall,2007 1st Rounder (transferred back to Nashville - Jonathon Blum) & 2007 3rd Rounder (transferred to WASH - Phil Desimone) Nashville Predators Peter Forsberg

24-Feb-07 Braydon Coburn Atlanta Thrashers Alexei Zhitnik

26-Feb-06 Lasse Kukkonen & 2007 3rd Rounder (Garrett Klotz) Chicago Blackhawks Kyle Calder

18-Jun-07 Kimmo Timonen & Scott Hartnell Nashville Predators Nashville's 2007 1st Rounder (previously obtained - Jonathon Blum)

1-Jul-07 Jason Smith & Joffrey Lupul Edmonton Oilers Joni Pitkanen , Geoff Sanderson & 2009 3rd rounder (transferred to Calgary - Ryan Howse)

19-Dec-07 Jim Vandermeer Chicago Blackhawks Ben Eager

6-Jun-08 Danny Syvret Edmonton Oilers Ryan Potulny

20-Jun-08 Steve Eminger & 2008 3rd Rounder (Jacob Deserres) Washington Capitals 2008 1st Rounder(John Carlson)

13-Oct-08 Andrew Alberts Boston Bruins Ned Lukacevic + conditional 2009 fourth-round pick (Lane MacDermid)

7-Nov-08 Matt Carle & San Jose Sharks’ 2009 3rd rounder (Simon Bertilsson) Tampa Bay Lightning Steve Eminger, Steve Downie and Tampa Bay’s 2009 4th rounder (previously acquired)

26-Jun-09 Chris Pronger & Ryan Dingle Anaheim Mighty Ducks Joffrey Lupul. Lucas Sbias, 2009 1st rounder (John Moore) , 2010 1st rounder and 2010 or 2011 conditional 3rd rounder

19-Jun-10 Dan Hamhuis + 2011 conditional draft pick Nashville Predators Ryan Parent

1-Jul-10 Andrej Meszaros Tampa Bay Lightning 2011 2nd Rounder (Lucas Lessio)

19-Jul-10 Matt Walker + 2011 4th Rounder (Marcel Noebels) Tampa Bay Lightning Simon Gagne

21-Nov-10 Danny Syvret and Rob Bordson Anaheim Mighty Ducks Pat Maroon and David Laliberte

16-Feb-12 Nicklas Grossman Dallas Stars LA's 2012 2nd Rounder (Devin Shore), Minnesota's 2013 3rd Rounder

18-Feb-12 Pavel Kubina Tampa Bay Lightning Jon Kalinski, Fla's 2012 2nd Rounder (Brian Hart), 2013 4th Rounder

23-Jun-12 Luke Schenn Toronto Maple Leafs James van Riemsdyk

2007 Entry 41 2 Kevin Marshall D Lewiston MAINEiacs [QMJHL]

2008 Entry 67 3 Marc-Andre Bourdon D Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL]

2008 Entry 19 1 Luca Sbisa D Lethbridge Hurricanes [WHL]

2009 Entry 196 7 Oliver Lauridsen D St. Cloud State [WCHA]

2009 Entry 87 3 Simon Bertilsson D Brynas IF Gavle [sEL]

2010 Entry 179 6 Nick Luukko D The Gunnery School [Conn.]

2010 Entry 206 7 Ricard Blidstrand D AIK Jr. (Sweden)

2011 Entry 116 4 Colin Suellentrop D Oshawa Generals [OHL]

2012 Entry 141 5 Reece Willcox D Merritt Centennials [bCHL]

2012 Entry 201 7 Valeri Vasiliev D Spartak Jrs. [Russia]

2012 Entry 78 3 Shayne Gostisbehere D Union College [ECAC]

2012 Entry 111 4 Fredric Larsson D Brynas Jrs. [sweden]

Shea Weber July 18, 2012[23] 14 years, $110 million Nashville Predators Philadelphia Flyers Matched[24]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

addressed defense well is a question, but really really tough to say he doesn't address it at all.

Edited by aziz
  • Like 3

@aziz

Agreed. For the record, I know this isn't a baseball board but it isn't as if Amaro hasn't made valiant efforts to address pitching. It's his failure to do much of anything good with the lineup that is Amaro's issue.

• Like 1

@aziz

Agreed. For the record, I know this isn't a baseball board but it isn't as if Amaro hasn't made valiant efforts to address pitching. It's his failure to do much of anything good with the lineup that is Amaro's issue.

The hidden side effect of building from one position out? And hockey is way more of a team sport.

I'd rather a GM build a team collectively, not focusing on one area at once. Homer tries this I think, but with injuries and regular probability of prospects panning/flaming out, he doesn't get sweeping success. What if Boosh was healthy against Chicago? What if Pronger wasn't finished by fluke? What if anyone was healthy this past season? What if Richards had better shoulders and medical advice? What if Carter drank milk? The list is kind of ridiculous over the last few seasons.

<br />For the record, I know this isn't a baseball board but it isn't as if Amaro hasn't made valiant efforts to address pitching. It's his failure to do much of anything good with the lineup that is Amaro's issue.<br />

I had no idea who he even was. had to wiki him. really not a baseball person.

I had no idea who he even was. had to wiki him. really not a baseball person.

Yeah, and that's cool. The post "to you" was actually more addressing yet another instance of disturbingly aggressive alternate reality, if you get my meaning.

@aziz

You can't be that bad at getting good middle relief and hitting. Howard's contract alone is bad. There is just nothing to do about it. I don't know if its really all Amaro's fault though. The Phillies still operate on a budget and manage to keep Hamels.

Amaro by a mile - its not even close. Dude has straight up failed at his job and the team has gotten progressively worse each season since he took over to the point they are now a losing franchise.

Defending Homer: Look......Bryz was overpaid and it was Snider who pressured the move, so I don't exactly fault Homer for this one.

Second, I don't fault him for Bob either. Bob never showed more than average ability with this team, they had Bryz, and it was a pressure cooker here that they never thought Bob could handle. The minute the kid was traded to a team with NO PRESSURE to win or really do anything he started playing well. I guarantee Bob steps back to a quite normal year in 2014 now that he's gotten the attention of the league.

Third - Homer did EVERYTHING possible to get Weber(i.e. replace Pronger), you can't fault him that Nashville mortgaged their entire future as an organization to keep him.

Fourth - Homer had to get rid of Carter and Richards, they were complete malcontents prior to their respective trades. A case could have been made for keeping Richards, but Carter had to go.

Lastly, I am not a Homer "lover" or whatever term you guys want to throw around. I think he is better at judging talent and I trust the guy.

I have no trust in Amaro. None. He needs to be fired at the end of the season or I'm not stepping foot back down there. I really don't even trust him as we head towards the trade deadline either.......I could see him doing even more damage. He flat out sucks.

• Like 3

me too they are both the same because they dont address the major needs the wins championships, pitching for the phillies and defense for the flyers.

Jeebus, just about all Amaro DID was address pitching.

His team gets swept out of the playoffs two years in a row because they can't hit, and he makes major pitching moves (Hallady, Lee).

The handling of the bullpen hasn't been anything notable to write home about, but you really, really can't say Amaro "didn't address" pitching.

• Like 2

Just to degenerate further into a baseball thread, even the bullpen I have to give Amaro a pass on.

I mean, Papelbon was a good signing; it's just too bad the team doesn't have a lead all that often. And Adams was a good pickup that hasn't done as well as should have been predicted--but he hasn't been horrible.

Stutes, Bastardo, and Durbin have pretty much blown up but have been decent in the past. Like Rad said, maybe not "notable" but clearly attention was paid even to the bullpen. It just hasn't worked out.

To say Amaro's problem is pitching and to not mention the offense is to display as much knowledge about baseball as one has about hockey.

All that said, it's very hard to argue with @green_man 's post.

@Green Man

I disagree about Bob. I argued Bob showed quicker reflexes, a better glove, better rebound control, better puckhandling and a better attitude than Bryz right off the bat. Bobs reflexes are as quick as anyone in the leagues. Throw in the fact he was learning a new language and a slightly different game than he was used to, along with a way tougher schedule, and a blind man could see he just needed some time to adapt.

Now if Snider told him to get rid of him to take the pressure off Bryz that's another story. It's also another reason why they never should have signed Bryzgalov. You can throw trading Richards and Carter on there too. If you're going with a youth movement, you don't bring in Bryz. Those moves were counterproductive to each other.

I also didn't agree with the Briere signing, the Pronger trade, his waste of 1st and 2nd round picks (Versteeg, Kubina, Carcillo, the Gauthier deal, Eminger, Prospal) when he's one of the better judges of young talent IMO, He likely could have done better drafting with those choices.

I have no idea who Amaro is. I take it he's the Phillies gm but have no opinion of him.

TF83..do you really research topics before post some type of gibberish? @aziz just nailed your hide to the wall. Now you can argue that some of Homer's defensive choices might not have panned out, but to flat out say he does not address the defense is simply false.

@aziz just nailed your hide to the wall.

this reminds me of the scene from the first Red Dawn when the captured Russian soldier says "l'll show you how a Soviet dies" and C Thomas Howell says "we've seen it before pal"... if i had a nickel for everytime aziz has nailed someone's hide to the wall...

• Like 1