Streit agrees to $21M / 4 year deal

Guest brelic

It's not yet a signed contract because they have to clear cap space first, i.e. they need to buy out a bad contract first before taking on a new one.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425717

The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms on a four-year, $21 million deal with impending unrestricted free-agent defenceman Mark Streit.

The deal includes a limited no-trade clause and is not expected to be signed until the team has enough cap space.

The Flyers acquired the rights to Streit from the New York Islanders last Wednesday for minor-league forward Shane Harper and a fourth-round pick in 2014.

Last season for the Islanders, Streit had six goals and 21 assists in 48 games.

The 35-year-old blueliner was originally drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the ninth-round of the 2004 NHL entry draft.

He played the first three seasons of his career in Montreal, before signing with the Islanders as a free-agent in 2008.

Streit was named captain of the Islanders prior to the 2011-12 season.

The Bern, Switzerland native has 65 career goals and 288 points in his seven seasons in the NHL.

It's not yet a signed contract because they have to clear cap space first, i.e. they need to buy out a bad contract first before taking on a new one.

The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms on a four-year, $21 million deal with impending unrestricted free-agent defenceman Mark Streit.

The deal includes a limited no-trade clause and is not expected to be signed until the team has enough cap space.

The Flyers acquired the rights to Streit from the New York Islanders last Wednesday for minor-league forward Shane Harper and a fourth-round pick in 2014.

The 35-year-old blueliner was originally drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the ninth-round of the 2004 NHL entry draft.

He played the first three seasons of his career in Montreal, before signing with the Islanders as a free-agent in 2008.

The Bern, Switzerland native has 65 career goals and 288 points in his seven seasons in the NHL.

Shouldn't your title read $21 million then? LOL

This deal represents quite a coup for Holmgren - he has taken some of the worst aspects of some of the worst current contract problems and combined them.

I talk, of course, of Danny Briere for cause and length, Chris Pronger for the over 35 aspect and Ilya Bryzgalov for the rush to sign. We still don't know if there's a NMC/NTC...

@Polaris922 pointed out to me that the Islanders own website speculated that Streit might be had for $5.5M, three years. The fourth year is completely unnecessary (unless the agent bent them over a table to agree before the UFA period started).

They are signing him because he is the best available defenseman on the open market. This year. And they "need" a 1/2 defenseman this year, rightnow. So they have to sign him for four years. Why? Ask Danny Briere, the "best available" #1 center when they "needed" a #1 center, so they signed him to an eight year contract.

Was there a market that would offer Streit $5.5M for four years outside of Philadelphia? We'll never know, just like we'll never know if there was a market for a nine-year contract with Ilya Bryzgalov (when they "needed" a #1 goalie...)

A tour de force for what has plagued the Flyers for Homer's entire tenure as general manager. A blueprint for what's wrong.

The future's so bright, I'm wearing orange and black sunglasses...

They forgot to add... Streit gets 4 years, $21 million, and the Flyers' 2017 & 2018 second round selections.

Aha, now it's starting to make sense .. Dude it must be so much fun being a Pens fan and watching Homer shoot himself in the nuts!

A little bit of Bryz in this deal. Another case of the Flyers, seemingly competing against themselves, create a new ceiling for aging offensive blue liners. In a race to get ahead of the curve and avoid a price war, they just pay outrageous money when no one else is bidding....lol. Just brillant. Same old Flyers, chasing that dragon, going the FA route...immediate gratification....unreal.

• Like 1

@flyerrod and a dreaded +35 contract on top of it. This guy can have a career ending injury next month and it all counts against the cap. You would think the near disaster of the Pronger experince would have scared them out of this type of deal....but noooooo, not ol shrewed Homer.....what a friggin tool, I've had enough of this idiot!!!!!! 4 friggin years....WOW, just....W-O-W. I can only imagine how bad Striets defense will be at the end of this fiasco....it's already brutal and now Homer has given him years and years to slow down and become worse.....ha ha, it's *almost* comical.

Regardless of how Striet plays, this is an unwarrented risk of monumental proportions!!!

• Like 1

Aha, now it's starting to make sense .. Dude it must be so much fun being a Pens fan and watching Homer shoot himself AND the Flyers STHs in the nuts!

My brother said it best when he said that this will be one of those Sean O'Donnell deals where at 1st we are like "oh wow he is actually pretty good, great job Homer" and then during the stretch run we are like "ugh where is Lilja when you need him?" as people are simply skaing around him on the rush as his age begins to show.

My brother said it best when he said that this will be one of those Sean O'Donnell deals where at 1st we are like "oh wow he is actually pretty good, great job Homer" and then during the stretch run we are like "ugh where is Lilja when you need him?" as people are simply skaing around him on the rush as his age begins to show.

Amazing ain't it? We'll get a year, maybe two out of this cat, and then choke on the rest of a stupid contract. And you're right, it's the paying customers and the fans everywhere that take the real shot to the nuts-Homer gets paid and we pay and pay and then pay again

I really kind of hate being the guy who has to defend this move, but the big difference between Streit and O'Donnell is that the Flyers didn't get Streit for his defense. I would assume the coach (whoever that is at the time) will minimize his defensive zone starts and keep him away from the other team's top lines.

I really kind of hate being the guy who has to defend this move, but the biopg difference between Streit and O'Donnell is that the Flyers didn't get Streit for his defense. I would assume the coach (whoever that is at the time) will minimize his defensive zone starts and keep him away from the other team's top lines.

Oh sure bring intelligent analysis into the conversation. You're right of course, I just don't know why a player of that ilk and that age gets 4 years. It's like Homer creates a market all by himself, then bids on the high side of it.

If a girlfriend was this stupid you'd break up with her, no matter how good the sex was. But here we all are anyway, year after year, and the "sex" ain't even looking that promising.

Edited by sarsippius

If true, this changes my mind about the employment of Homer! 4 YEARS? 21 million? This makes me puke!

Oh sure bring intelligent analysis into the conversation. You're right of course, I just don't know why a player of that ilk and that age gets 4 years. It's like Homer creates a market all by himself, then bids on the high side of it.

If a girlfriend was this stupid you'd break up with her, no matter how good the sex was. But here we all are anyway, year after year, and the "sex" ain't even looking that promising.

4 years because if the reports that he turned down 3 x $5.5M from the Isles, then you knew he wasn't going to take less than 4 years unless the cap hit was really bad ($6M). I'd rather 4 x $5.25 than 3 x $6. Assuming they actually do draft a defenseman this year, this gives them a few years to let the guy develop.

I really kind of hate being the guy who has to defend this move, but the big difference between Streit and O'Donnell is that the Flyers didn't get Streit for his defense. I would assume the coach (whoever that is at the time) will minimize his defensive zone starts and keep him away from the other team's top lines.

The O'Donnell reference is more about his age than his role on the team. The point my brother was trying to make is that early in the year he may look good but late in the year being old he will likely fizzle at whatever role they have him in and we will be paying dearly for it as far as the cap goes.

The O'Donnell reference is more about his age than his role on the team. The point my brother was trying to make is that early in the year he may look good but late in the year being old he will likely fizzle at whatever role they have him in and we will be paying dearly for it as far as the cap goes.

I could just as easily compare him to Timonen, who is still filling his role on the team well. Streit is certainly closer to a Timonen type player (both in skill set and style) than a physical guy like O'Donnell.

@sarsippius

Sorry bud. I think Streit will be your #1 guy to start really. He'll skate with your top line to feed the puck and the first two years that will pay dividends. I think the second two years he'll have slowed down, and be an issue. You all know my opinion of Timonen. But Timonen is more defensively responsible. I think Timonen should be out to pasture now, and in two years Streit will most likely be due as well.

First two years are a bright spot though. I think you'll enjoy Streit and now I have to worry about him. He could be exactly what you need to fix your transition game.

I agree, however, that four years is an issue.

Typical BS Flyer move demonstrating no plan, no long term strategy, no patience.

They approach every season with the mentality of "what do me need to do to win the Cup THIS season"

That is no proper way of running an organization. It causes you to constantly scramble in an effort to patch holes, leading to bad trades, bad signings, not giving youth a chance.

If Streit was the best available dman then they shouldn;t have signed anyone. They have zero shot at the cup this season or the next. Why not use these seasons to build instead of applying band aids?

I could just as easily compare him to Timonen, who is still filling his role on the team well. Streit is certainly closer to a Timonen type player (both in skill set and style) than a physical guy like O'Donnell.

You could be right but sometimes old is old no matter what style they play. We will have to just let this play out to see how it unfolds.