Will there be any money left to sign Gagne?

Guest Samifan

Well, signing Hall actually increased cap space, assuming that means McGinn starts in the A. Giroux's rumored extension won't affect this year. If you want to sign Gagne at 2 million or so, you can still do it. I'm just not sure they want to at this point, I'd think it would already be done.

• Like 1

@FlyersFan4Life

Yeah, saw that From Ponatch. I think it's good for this team. You know what you are getting out of Gags: consistency, hard work, defensive responsibilty, leadership and ability to provide reasonable offense even at a twilight of his career. And it's not like the Flyers would be looking for him to be old Gagne who put together two back-to-back 40-goal seasons. There will be otehrs who would be counted to do that.

Good to see him back.

Really? Yeah I can't get real excited about this. Always liked the guy, nothing to do with Gagne the guy. But does he really bring something to the team we couldn't get from one of our younger guys? Gagne looked pretty - different - last year when he came over. I saw a few glimpses but the guy I saw most of the time looked pretty spent. I don't know if he's worth the roster spot anymore.

@canoli

Again, he is no longer a first or even a seond line player, but I think as a 3rd line wing playing with Talbot and Couturier, he will have his role on the team: killing penalties, providing leadership, etc. When the team is up one goal and the opposing team pulls their goalie in the last minute of the game, you want a player like Gags being out there on the ice. It's not a bad signing.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

Maybe yes maybe no, Canoli. If he's playing on the 3rd line, that's time less suited to developing a young guy. And he also provides experience, which the forward group generally lacked going into the offseason -Hartnell was the oldest forward at 31, and I don't think he's the guy to say, "Yeah, I've been here. Here's how you work through this..." Youth is great, but it does need a rudder.

I think having Gagne will do a world of good for Couturier.

Our lines will look something like this:

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Lecavalier/Simmonds

Read/Couturier/Gagne

Rinaldo/Hall/Talbot

Rosehill

That's 4 pretty solid lines. I guess that means no Laughton and no McGinn. I do wonder if we see a trade with Montreal rumoured to include Talbot. Maybe Coburn and Talbot for Beaulieu or Tinordi? It's hard to find a trade with Montreal that makes sense.... but rumours were flying on Twitter yesterday from the RDS guys.

I think having Gagne will do a world of good for Couturier.

Our lines will look something like this:

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Lecavalier/Simmonds

Read/Couturier/Gagne

Rinaldo/Hall/Talbot

Rosehill

That's 4 pretty solid lines. I guess that means no Laughton and no McGinn. I do wonder if we see a trade with Montreal rumoured to include Talbot. Maybe Coburn and Talbot for Beaulieu or Tinordi? It's hard to find a trade with Montreal that makes sense.... but rumours were flying on Twitter yesterday from the RDS guys.

A combo of Talbot/Mesz/Coburn for draft picks? Lose contracts and salary, ammo up for the home draft?

Or maybe it's a trade with St. Louis. Spector thinks Coburn and Couturier could get Pietrangelo. It's a situation where if they really don't think they can sign him, their leverage is diminished.

Maybe yes maybe no, Canoli. If he's playing on the 3rd line, that's time less suited to developing a young guy. And he also provides experience, which the forward group generally lacked going into the offseason -Hartnell was the oldest forward at 31, and I don't think he's the guy to say, "Yeah, I've been here. Here's how you work through this..." Youth is great, but it does need a rudder.

I donlt think Hartnell will be here when camp starts so need Somon's veteran presence and third line D.

@brelic " Spector thinks Coburn and Couturier could get Pietrangelo"

I wouldn't do that deal if I was St.Louis....here take my 15 year Norris canidate, our top pp point man, our blazing fast young d-man for your 3-4 d man and your 3rd line checker who may or may not score more in the future. That deal sucks for St.Louis. If you follow the "whoever gets the best player won the deal" theory, this one is a cake walk for the Flyers. Lost some respect for Spector for repeating/fabricatiang that one.

I wouldn't do that deal if I was St.Louis....here take my 15 year Norris canidate, our top pp point man, our blazing fast young d-man for your 3-4 d man and your 3rd line checker who may or may not score more in the future.

Yes all this and yet he is still unsigned...hell they just sign Roy for what i don't know putting them further into a trading corner...it's like he has been taking notes on how Homer operates.

Why not sign your best guy (AP) then everyone else gets what is left...then when there is nothing left you release or trade those guys...just doesn't make sense....now you have like 7.8 mill left to sign Jake Allen, Chris Stewart and AP....i swear it looks like Homer is running the show there.

Coburn and Coots are a good return for AP just not enough.

Or maybe it's a trade with St. Louis. Spector thinks Coburn and Couturier could get Pietrangelo. It's a situation where if they really don't think they can sign him, their leverage is diminished.

All I can say is if there is any truth at all to this, if I am Homer, I would grab this deal and run with it as fast as I possibly can.

Pietrangelo is an absolute stud, who I personally think is a #2 defenseman after Shea Weber. I can't see any conceivable way why would the Blues do this deal. That would be pretty stupid for them.