Flyers sign Gus

Guest Phillygrump

1 year deal worth 1 mil one-way.

Saw it on twitter will post the link.

@AnthonyMingioni: Defenseman Erik Gustafsson signs a 1 year, $1 million deal with the #Flyers. It’s a one way contract. Pretty good value.

Edited by Phillygrump

@AJgoal Yeah, it looks like Gus had the stragety that he would improve nicely this year, thus putting him in a way better leverage situation next summer. Would have liked a longer term also, even pay out more cash like 1.5 to tie him up for another 3 seasons or so. Homer may pay for this in the long run, but given our cap situation, it's a nice short term answer.

• Like 2

Yeah, it looks like Gus had the stragety that he would improve nicely this year, thus putting him in a way better leverage situation next summer.

and nobody can blame him. This is exactly the right contract for him today, now all he has to do is keep getting better, more comfortable in more situations, etc. If he does that, this time next year - like you say - yes indeedy he's looking at a nice, healthy raise and long-term security on his next contract.

• Like 1

Does a one way contract mean he stays up?

No, it just means he gets paid the same either in the AHL or NHL, and that his hit counts 100% during the offseason. But the fact that he's not waiver exempt does mean he stays up. Someone will claim him.

MAB isn't exempt either. Manning is. Shockingly, Couturier is still exempt. Figured he'd have enough games by now.

@AJgoal Yeah, it looks like Gus had the stragety that he would improve nicely this year, thus putting him in a way better leverage situation next summer. Would have liked a longer term also, even pay out more cash like 1.5 to tie him up for another 3 seasons or so. Homer may pay for this in the long run, but given our cap situation, it's a nice short term answer.

Great now they 're are 2 million over the cap...that area you're painting yourself into is getting smaller and smaller Homer...great way to secure leverage Homer!!!!!!!

Great news, but too short. Homer does things backwards - he signs old geezers to long-term contracts and young, promising players with tons of potential to short-term contracts. On the other hand, it gives Gus an extra kick to do real well this season, not that he wouldn't try even as is.

I think this also pretty much guarantess either one of Mez or Coburn is as good as gone. I am also hearing Bourdon is healthy and anxious to return.... Things are getting interesting.

• Like 3

Shockingly, Couturier is still exempt. Figured he'd have enough games by now.

Huh? Wow I guess I was way off, I thought it was 66 games...wasn't that Bob's magic number? Oh wait, I think I remember reading something about how it goes according to the player's age. Is that right?

Goalies get fewer games, also depends on age, when they signed their first contract, and a few other things. Looks like Couturier has 9 or so more games.

I would assume it's because even though 2 goalies dress, the second one rarely plays. So they don't get credit for games played, even though they may be sitting on the bench the whole time.

going by that logic though wouldn't you think goalies should get more games instead of less? Like you say they may very well be riding the pine all game and that still counts against their eligibility?

Well, look at the stat line. A goalie doesn't get a GP if he doesn't play, yet he is up on the NHL club. The criteria is "NHL games played." Even if a forward never touches the ice, he is still credited with playing the game, with 0:00 TOI.

I swear, it makes sense in my head...

There it is. I'm amazed its just one year. Maybe Holmgren felt it left the team out if a big dollar investment should Gustafsson regress somehow? Works out for him though as he gets a raise if he plays well.

Well, look at the stat line. A goalie doesn't get a GP if he doesn't play, yet he is up on the NHL club.

Oh okay I think I get it now. They "charge" him only if he sees the ice. That's fair. If he sits on the bench backing up but never gets in he's not charged. If that's the way it works then it makes sense. Before you mentioned the stat line I assumed once he was called up and dressed for a game it counted "against" him.

• 4 weeks later...

@Phillygrump Wow, another nice deal by Homer....this has me worried....ha ha.

Gus has grown nicely and look for a strong season from him end of last year makes me think the light has come on for this kid, blueline can use him...

i think we'll see more offense from this guy, the more time he gets the better he will be he needs to be in the lineup over a Mezz or Bruno for sure.