Cleary is NOT joining the Flyers?

Guest Mad Dog

Well that was a tease. 

At least Striet and Vinny will provide the type of leadership that Cleary would have brought to the table, something this team desperately needs.

He would have been an upgrade over Talbot for sure, but I'm ok with keeping Max on that 3rd line. 

Selfishness? He took a 1 year $1.75 million deal over a 3 year $8.25 million one. Loyal maybe, not selfish.

Sorry not buying this crap loyalty or not no way that contract was offered...no way...no way he'd be that stupid to lose the security of a 3 year deal...ain't buying that crap rumor...Homer is stupid just not that much.

• Like 1

Sorry not buying this crap loyalty or not no way that contract was offered...no way...no way he'd be that stupid to lose the security of a 3 year deal...ain't buying that crap rumor...Homer is stupid just not that much.

@OR... I am with you on this one

I'm just curious where the numbers and detail came from. From all appearances, it was Cleary who let that cat out of the bag.

And from what jammer says, Helene St. James for the Detroit Freeps is a pretty credible writer...

Um, the Bryz contract...the "I don't know anything about 35 and over contracts, but let's do it anyway" contract. Brieres too long contract. Hartnells. Trading Bob.

He's playing it safe.  If there's a good chance he could hurt himself in camp, at least this way he's sure of making the 1.75 million.

He takes Homer's deal and gets hurt, he's out everything.

It's a gamble.  he's hedging his bets.  Whatever.  If our season ends because we didn't have Cleary, I'll eat crow.  Meantime, I'm thrilled we're not blowing almost 3 million per on a guy not likely to make it through one year.

• Like 1

True... but speculation goes both ways.   The only people that know are Cleary, his agent and the Flyers brass.  We will most likely never know the true details.   Again, if the Flyers had that deal in place I find it hard to believe he would turn it down based on what he signed w/ the Wings.  

If it is true and he did not want to move his family I commend him but I do think it is a bit of a "too good to be true" scenario.  In the meantime I saygood for Cleary and even better for the Flyers.

Edited by murraycraven

What security?  His deal with Homer wasn't guaranteed.  He goes down in camp, that's it.  he's done.

The Wings deal was smaller, but far more secure. 

no way he'd be that stupid to lose the security of a 3 year deal...ain't buying that crap rumor...Homer is stupid just not that much.

For what it is worth

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 1m

Homer said #Flyers never offered Cleary a three-year deal for $8.25M as some reported. #Flyers #RedWings

LOL....based on experience, I will take what EVERYONE else was reporting yesterday over Sam's report today.

I will never argue with Briere's contract.

Think about it in context.  Do you remember that summer?  We had no stars.  Richards and Carter had yet to emerge.  No one really had a handle on what Hartnell, Kimmo or Coburn meant to the team and there were three big names in Free Agency.

Aldo there were three big names that summer in Free Agency.  Gomez, Drury and Briere.  Briere's deal was without a doubt the most effective and beneficial of the three of them.  The rangers ended up screwed when it came to Gomez and Drury.

It just made sense.

The Bryz contract was Moronic, you are right.  It's length and it's size were just ridiculous and made ZERO sense.

Hartnell's contract I'm actually fine with and so was everyone else the year he signed it.  He had a bad year last year and was hurt a lot.  If he'd played like he did the year before none of us would be complaining abut his contract now.

The thing with Bob wasn't just the trade (because the trade was essentially necessary for cap and roster space issues) the thing with Bob's trade that was MORONIC was letting Laviolette play in in those playoffs the year before.  It was obvious that changing the goalie wasn't going to help the team score more goals, both goalies were doing just fine keeping it out of the net, it was the offense that was stymied.  We all knew that playing Bob meant that he couldn't be sent to the AHL the next year (which is what he needed so he could build up his stamina over a full season and to continue his training in the ways of the North American goaltender).  Why didn't Homer?   that summer Homer had little choice but to trade him because he was making so much more than even a capable vet backup would make.  Trading him for no return?  STUPID.  Playing him in the playoffs forcing you to trade him later?  MORE STUPID. 

Um, the Bryz contract...the "I don't know anything about 35 and over contracts, but let's do it anyway" contract. Brieres too long contract. Hartnells. Trading Bob.
  • Like 1

Yeah, apologies to Homer if he didn't offer the 3 year deal. Apologies to Cleary for saying he used the Flyers to up the ante in Detroit, based on his final deal, that was not the case. Not that there was anything morally wrong with that, players and agents do this all the time, just as a Flyers fan didn't like thinking my team was getting hosed.

Yeah, apologies to Homer if he didn't offer the 3 year deal. Apologies to Cleary for saying he used the Flyers to up the ante in Detroit, based on his final deal, that was not the case. Not that there was anything morally wrong with that, players and agents do this all the time, just as a Flyers fan didn't like thinking my team was getting hosed.

Where did the detailed description of a three year deal with specific salary requirements and a No Trade Clause come from?

Eddies in the space-time continuum??

@ Jack... he did turn down an offer.

Yeah, I think he kind of screwed himself. No way that 3 year deal from the Flyers was actually on the table. He was stuck with a PTO from the Flyers or a one year deal with the Wings. So staying with the Wings makes sense. Fortunately.

• Like 1

Yeah, apologies to Homer if he didn't offer the 3 year deal.

Than *somebody* must be misrepresenting the facts.  Where did the numbers, the longevity and the NTC come from? If those details were made available, they must have come from somewhere. 

There is a clearly a disconnect.

The whole story is just bizzare.

• Like 1