Bill Meltzer article on Flyers D

EDI-Flyer

Good article by Bill Meltzer today on Hockeybuzz...

Does the talent level on the Flyers' blueline match the amount of money being spent on it? Probably not, although I have much greater concern about whether the mix of players is right than I about whether any are individually competent enough to deserve starting spots in the NHL. 

On a one-by-one basis, the Flyers do not lack for decent NHL defensemen, but is there collectively the right mix of mobility and muscle, puck movement and strength down low in the defensive zone, and of positional savvy and physicality? Based on what was displayed in the preseason, I'd have to say the answer is still no. 

In particular, I still question whether this is the right group to manage and move the puck in Peter Laviolette's system, especially in light of the average-at-best defensive traits of much of the top half of the team's forward corps. There is still questionable cohesion between the forwards and defensemen, and the addition of Streit and the start of a new regular season aren't going to be magical elixirs on their own. 

Couldn't agree with him more.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=54406#.Ukq2_NJjuSp

• Like 1

Good article by Bill Meltzer today on Hockeybuzz...

Couldn't agree with him more.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=54406#.Ukq2_NJjuSp

Yes, this is a great post and excellent assessment. What's striking is that it comes what, three years into Lavi's tenure (or is it longer)?  That tells me Homer and company have as much to do with the problem.  But the sum is less than its parts applies in a big way.  The D is problematic...but I also wonder if the forwards are as good as we say or think?

Best,

Howie

That tells me Homer and company have as much to do with the problem

I think you could point the finger in either direction (or both)- coaching or management. If management's approach is to draft BPA (which is what the Flyers generally claim to do) then the coach has to adjust his system to fit the players, or he has to ask for different players (trades, free agency). Regardless of who is ultimately to blame, I don't get the feeling that the players are suited to Lavi's system. And to be honest, I think it would be difficult to put together a roster that really is suited to his system.

• Like 1

I think you could point the finger in either direction (or both)- coaching or management. If management's approach is to draft BPA (which is what the Flyers generally claim to do) then the coach has to adjust his system to fit the players, or he has to ask for different players (trades, free agency). Regardless of who is ultimately to blame, I don't get the feeling that the players are suited to Lavi's system. And to be honest, I think it would be difficult to put together a roster that really is suited to his system.

ding, ding, ding....I've been saying this for a while. The Flyers roster does not suit Lavi's run and gun or whatever you wanna call it. Our d-men our not mobile enough to play this system. We need to revert to a defense first, clog the netural zone, Devils kind of thing. Go into a boring defensive shell and wait until G or Vorachek can catch a break and convert it. That's the way I see it anyways. This takes all the pressure off the new goalies also.

• Like 1

ding, ding, ding....I've been saying this for a while. The Flyers roster does not suit Lavi's run and gun or whatever you wanna call it. Our d-men our not mobile enough to play this system. We need to revert to a defense first, clog the netural zone, Devils kind of thing. Go into a boring defensive shell and wait until G or Vorachek can catch a break and convert it. That's the way I see it anyways. This takes all the pressure off the new goalies also.

we should trade for Letang, he'd be perfect  :ph34r:

If management's approach is to draft BPA (which is what the Flyers generally claim to do) then the coach has to adjust his system to fit the players, or he has to ask for different players (trades, free agency).

This sums it up in a nutshell to me... Ultimately a coach cannot rely on just one style of play. They have to be able to adapt their pattern dependent on A) the players available to them and B) the nature of the opponent. All very well playing run and gun hockey with the Pens, not so much against NJ or NYR. If the coach is unable to adapt his style then IMO he will not be successful in the long term...

• Like 1

Jack:

If the mismatch is there..we are really screwed. I find myself perplexed with the signings of some of the vets who are on the way down. The signals sent to the young players can't be very positive...if I were Lauridsen, what does Hal Gill's signing mean?

And to be honest, I think it would be difficult to put together a roster that really is suited to his system.

I am not a Laviolette apologist, but the snipers (not you alone) are armed and shooting. When do the guns start to point upstairs?

(p.s. How is your huskie)?

thanks for the link - Meltzer makes some good points doing a cost-benefit analysis. But I think his best point is this one:

"...if the club as a whole would buy into and execute the concept of team defense with a semblance of consistency -- there is considerable room for improvement in back checking, gap control, puck support and breakouts -- goalies Ray Emery and Steve Mason might have a chance to improve the team's goals against average and save percentage."

exactly what I said yesterday in one of those "we'll probably suck again" threads. (actually i can't remember what thread it was) Sure is a lot of doom n gloom on this board...I mean considering we haven't played Game One yet...

• Like 1

Jack:

If the mismatch is there..we are really screwed. I find myself perplexed with the signings of some of the vets who are on the way down. The signals sent to the young players can't be very positive...if I were Lauridsen, what does Hal Gill's signing mean?

People are forgetting one thing about Gill's signing. He was signed to be the 8th defenseman, not an every day player. If you want to actually develop Lauridsen, you don't sit him in the pressbox as the 8th defenseman. You play him top-pair minutes in the A and make him your first recall. Now if the Flyers had, say, moved both Meszaros and Grossmann, then signed Gill to play in the top 6 rather than play Lauridsen full time, I'd have a much bigger issue.

• Like 1

People are forgetting one thing about Gill's signing. He was signed to be the 8th defenseman, not an every day player. If you want to actually develop Lauridsen, you don't sit him in the pressbox as the 8th defenseman. You play him top-pair minutes in the A and make him your first recall. Now if the Flyers had, say, moved both Meszaros and Grossmann, then signed Gill to play in the top 6 rather than play Lauridsen full time, I'd have a much bigger issue.

AJ:

Thanks for the very good explanation. I hope the organization employs your reasoning.

Peace,

Howard

I am not a Laviolette apologist, but the snipers (not you alone) are armed and shooting. When do the guns start to point upstairs?

(p.s. How is your huskie)?

Pup is doing well. Salem is an extremely dog-friendly town. Aiming the guns... do you know a way to fire Ed Snider?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131002_Laviolette_s_on_borrowed_time.html

I like Lavi, he seems like a good guy and a good fit for the Philly sports scene. But I'm not optimistic about his future with the Flyers.

AJ:

Thanks for the very good explanation. I hope the organization employs your reasoning.

Peace,

Howard

Me too, Howie. Now, I'm not exactly sure why an 8th defenseman was necessary - you can always call a guy up. If I was running the show, I would use Gill as a spot fill in if a guy is nicked and misses a game or two, or to give someone the night off. If there's an injury that's going to result in a significant number of games missed, I call Lauridsen up to be #6 and keep using Gill in the same manner. All this assumes that someone else is also injured so your seventh Dman is playing regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Pup is doing well. Salem is an extremely dog-friendly town. Aiming the guns... do you know a way to fire Ed Snider?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131002_Laviolette_s_on_borrowed_time.html

I like Lavi, he seems like a good guy and a good fit for the Philly sports scene. But I'm not optimistic about his future with the Flyers.

I can not have an opinion- even in hind sight (because of personal problems).

But good to know about your huskie; One of my favorite dogs (labs are number one). How is the weather there? 

I can not have an opinion- even in hind sight (because of personal problems).

But good to know about your huskie; One of my favorite dogs (labs are number one). How is the weather there?

The weather is getting cool, leaves are turning color, autumn in New England.