Cooter: I believe but here is the knock on him...

murraycraven

Let me start by saying that I posted in JackStraw's ("from Wichata who cut his buddy down") thread that I thought Cooter would have a big year.  I believe, or want to believe, in the kids future.   But here is my issue with young Sean:   Have you ever witnessed a player that will shy away from contact more than he does?

Maybe it is his youthful stature in a league among men but this kid is truly a feather when it comes to contact.   I just pulled up the game and fast forwarded through his shifts and he is as soft as a marshmallow on the boards.   He refuses to take the body and when he does actually hit he turns his back to the player.   This drives me absolutely nuts!  

Take the body Cooter.. run through them like you are running through the wall!   I dont get it... I knock Schenn a lot but ofor heaven's sake he hits like a train along the boards.   Cooter needs to up his manhood on this Team and start playing tough.  Not fighting tough...  tough to play against.  

He was the type of guy I looked for on the ice in my glory days.  Talented as hell but as soon as you put your shoulder into him he shrivels up like Ol' Ed Snider's *******!   Cooter, you are a NHL player and have all the potential to be a very good to great player but take the body dude!!!!

Thanks for listening folks....   Again, I like Cooter and by no means is the a "jumping off the ledge" post... just play big boy hockey Cooter and you will be fine.

Gracias,

Murray

Not to compare JVR to Couturier, but he was also labeled as a soft, perimeter player.

He looks a lot different in Toronto. He drives to the net and uses his body more. And he scores a lot.

Just sayin'.

Couturier is only 20 years old. It will take another 2-5 years before knowing what we really have.

I think his biggest problem is (and will continue to be) that he's stuck on the third line. It's going to be tough for him to develop a real offensive game. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point he does get traded, he may very well be more valuable to the Flyers in a trade than on the ice. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

I think his biggest problem is (and will continue to be) that he's stuck on the third line. It's going to be tough for him to develop a real offensive game. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point he does get traded, he may very well be more valuable to the Flyers in a trade than on the ice. Unfortunately.

Jack I think you are right... maybe in time he fills out physically in time and is tougher w/ puck possession but his issues are apparent right now.  

• Like 1

I agree with others that is biggest problem may be utilization. We won't know what we have without more playing time. But he may not get that. It is the Catch 22. Overall we may find that our cadre of forwards isn't as good as Homer thought. Schenn is showing some scoring punch. With Coots, I reckon the internal debate is how important it is to have a great shut dude Selke candidate?  Like so much with this team, a work in progress...or deterioration. 

Best,

Howie

I still think he's going to be traded. I like the kid as a human being but I just don't see a star player. Same with Brayden Schenn. Hope I'm wrong

I think they trade Cooter, still don't see how he went top 10 with his skills.

Schenn is here to stay, and I think he'll stay a winger.

• Like 1

I think his biggest problem is (and will continue to be) that he's stuck on the third line. It's going to be tough for him to develop a real offensive game.

out of curiosity, why do you think that?  he is seeing icetime with read, it isn't like he's skating with dogs.  is it just icetime?  laviolette didn't play him a ton, but he saw over 18 minutes last night.  if the top three lines roll fairly evenly, do you think he is still up against it to develop his game?

Let me start by saying that I posted in JackStraw's ("from Wichata who cut his buddy down") thread that I thought Cooter would have a big year.  I believe, or want to believe, in the kids future.   But here is my issue with young Sean:   Have you ever witnessed a player that will shy away from contact more than he does?

Maybe it is his youthful stature in a league among men but this kid is truly a feather when it comes to contact.   I just pulled up the game and fast forwarded through his shifts and he is as soft as a marshmallow on the boards.   He refuses to take the body and when he does actually hit he turns his back to the player.   This drives me absolutely nuts!  

Take the body Cooter.. run through them like you are running through the wall!   I dont get it... I knock Schenn a lot but ofor heaven's sake he hits like a train along the boards.   Cooter needs to up his manhood on this Team and start playing tough.  Not fighting tough...  tough to play against.  

He was the type of guy I looked for on the ice in my glory days.  Talented as hell but as soon as you put your shoulder into him he shrivels up like Ol' Ed Snider's *******!   Cooter, you are a NHL player and have all the potential to be a very good to great player but take the body dude!!!!

Thanks for listening folks....   Again, I like Cooter and by no means is the a "jumping off the ledge" post... just play big boy hockey Cooter and you will be fine.

Gracias,

Murray

In other words, Cooter is the new JvR. 

Great. Just great.

P.S. He's s-l-o-w.

out of curiosity, why do you think that?  he is seeing icetime with read, it isn't like he's skating with dogs.  is it just icetime?  laviolette didn't play him a ton, but he saw over 18 minutes last night.  if the top three lines roll fairly evenly, do you think he is still up against it to develop his game?

Read is a good player, but they're being used in mainly defensive situations. They're not being put out there to score. I like Talbot but he's not an offensive dynamo exactly. I'm not saying Couturier can't put up some points on the third line, but expectations for him are high and 3rd line center is not typically the spot where players live up to high expectations (see Staal, Jordan). I do however stand by my prediction and think he's going to have a good year.

Read is a good player, but they're being used in mainly defensive situations. They're not being put out there to score. I like Talbot but he's not an offensive dynamo exactly. I'm not saying Couturier can't put up some points on the third line, but expectations for him are high and 3rd line center is not typically the spot where players live up to high expectations (see Staal, Jordan). I do however stand by my prediction and think he's going to have a good year.

Staal isn't doing any better as the second line center either...  the kid had a ceiling, no matter where he played.  Carolina is realizing that now.  

I still think he's going to be traded. I like the kid as a human being but I just don't see a star player. Same with Brayden Schenn. Hope I'm wrong

Couts would be great trade bait and doesn't seem to click with the Flyers (ie. JVR) but I doubt the Flyers will trade B.Schenn especially now as he is the only one scoring on this team. Couts is a cheap pickup for a team that needs a 2way forward and will probably net the Flyers a solid young D man in return....Cody Franson?