John Scott-Neanderthal

Samifan

Scott is another 2 minutes per game player, when he is allowed to dress. Scott skates like he should be in a Beer league and has zero hockey skills. He definitely targeted Erickson's head last night and I am sure he will get at least 5 games, hopefully more. Looks like Scott and Kaleta can have a popcorn serving contest in the pressbox or would it be chicken wings in Buffalo? Even old school hockey enthusiasts who support having an “enforcer” on the team to protect the star players have to ask, do the Sabres even have any star players worth protecting? Scott’s on the roster this year because NONE of the Sabres had the balls to defend Miller last year when he got his clocked cleaned by Lucic.

**Ed Snider is probably on the phone with Homer right now telling him to offer Regier one of the Schenn's and a first rounder for Scott**

Edited by Samifan

Scott is another 2 minutes per game player, when he is allowed to dress. Scott skates like he should be in a Beer league and has zero hockey skills. He definitely targeted Erickson's head last night and I am sure he will get at least 5 games, hopefully more. Looks like Scott and Kaleta can have a popcorn serving contest in the pressbox or would it be chicken wings in Buffalo? Even old school hockey enthusiasts who support having an “enforcer” on the team to protect the star players have to ask, do the Sabres even have any star players worth protecting? Scott’s on the roster this year because NONE of the Sabres had the balls to defend Miller last year when he got his clocked cleaned by Lucic.

**Ed Snider is probably on the phone with Homer right now telling him to offer Regier one of the Schenn's and a first rounder for Scott**

Vanek is certainly worth protecting - not that it has anything to do with this hit.

The Lucic/Miller hit was two years ago. If you've got a Steve Ott on your team and still need a little extra spine you've got bigger problems.

I honestly don't think the hit looks all that "dirty" beyond being late. No elbows are up and there is contact with much more than the head. Scott is half a foot taller than Eriksson - was he "targeting" the head with his upper arm? I don't think Scott is talented enough to have "targeted the head" in this situation.

It is a really good example of why having substandard players on the ice with the best of the game is dangerous. This is really the only thing Scott can bring to the game and he's not even particularly good at it.

I don't care what happens to Scott and really think the Sabres would be better off dressing a guy who could actually play. If anything, this could be an "addition by suspension" situation for Buffalo.

And he is definitely going to be suspended.

No matter what you think of Shanahan and I know there are many detractors of his posting in here, (When he took the job from Colin Campbell, Campbell called it the most thankless job in all of sports) he has maintained a level of consistency this season as far as head shots go. Mcleod from the Avalanche deserved nothing or next to nothing for his bang bang hit on Kronwall, but Shanny has drawn the line at head shots and has maintained a level of consistency.

Scott is a knuckle dragger who can play forward and defense with equal lack of ability. Horrible player, brings nothing to the game. Mike Brown type. Boston is a fairly clean club nowadays, little fighting if any just good clean tough hockey. Playing a guy like Scott when facing the Leafs is one thing, facing the Bruins Scott could be left home because he is not needed.

Hoping he gets double digit games. Gutless to go after one of the cleanest players in the game. Absolutely gutless.

• Like 1

Scott is a knuckle dragger who can play forward and defense with equal lack of ability. Horrible player, brings nothing to the game. Mike Brown type. Boston is a fairly clean club nowadays, little fighting if any just good clean tough hockey. Playing a guy like Scott when facing the Leafs is one thing, facing the Bruins Scott could be left home because he is not needed.

Hoping he gets double digit games. Gutless to go after one of the cleanest players in the game. Absolutely gutless.

You summed up Scott perfectly!

Rad- All great points!

The reason I thought the Lucic/Miller thing was last year is because I live in WNY and Sabres fans still cry about it like it happened yesterday!

Not a week goes by in Buffalo that you don't hear "No Goal" or "Wide Right" :)

• Like 1

Because he is NOT a hockey player, has gone after two skilled players in the first 1/8 of a season and definately has a history of stupidity, but not suspensions  I think he gets in the 5-8 game area.  Shanny will want to send a message especially since he isn't an alumni..

• Like 1

Because he is NOT a hockey player, has gone after two skilled players in the first 1/8 of a season and definately has a history of stupidity, but not suspensions  I think he gets in the 5-8 game area.  Shanny will want to send a message especially since he isn't an alumni..

I fault him for this incident with Eriksson but not the Kessel one. Kessel should not have even been on the ice much less chirping at a designated goon.For this hit, he targeted high and was a little late on the hit. Definitely a cheap shot and definitely suspension worthy.

• Like 1

I fault him for this incident with Eriksson but not the Kessel one. Kessel should not have even been on the ice much less chirping at a designated goon.For this hit, he targeted high and was a little late on the hit. Definitely a cheap shot and definitely suspension worthy.

Is Scott supposed to kneel down or something? He's got half a foot on Eriksson - how can he not hit him high?

It's a late hit, no question, and he will be suspended.

...but Shanny has drawn the line at head shots and has maintained a level of consistency.

@yave1964,

I can only somewhat agree with this. The only consistency is the fact that he increases the number of games for suspensions that involve a head injury, not just the headshot. In other words, he suspends based on the result of the play and not the action. I will say that this year he has consistently given five-game suspensions for plays that involve a head injury. That is the only consistency that I see.

This hit is identical to the Grabner hit on Gerbe. The only difference in these hits is the fact that Gerbe was not injured. Grabner was given a two game suspension, Scott will get at least five.

Here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. In January, Brayden Schenn was suspended one game for charging against Anton Volchenkov. Less than six weeks later, Harry Zolnierczyk was suspended four games for an identical hit. Both Schenn and Zolnierczyk came onto the ice from the bench and proceeded directly to the player that they fouled. Both players launched themselves into their opponent. The only difference is the fact that Mike Lundin was injured and Volchenkov was not. Zolnierczyk was punished based on the result of the play and not the action. These plays are so identical that, if you could dub out the names in Shanny's video, you couldn't tell them apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRFtggbhCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypW1CeNCmt0

Summarizing, the only consistency I see is the plays that involve head injuries getting a longer suspension.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

Rad- All great points!

The reason I thought the Lucic/Miller thing was last year is because I live in WNY and Sabres fans still cry about it like it happened yesterday!

You really think 2 years is long for Buffalo to whine?

fba7ba274ee6883cf6641dcb3a4a.jpeg

• Like 1

Summarizing, the only consistency I see is the plays that involve head injuries getting a longer suspension.

Exactly!  Last season the basic standard was 2 -3 games for a serious hit.  Now the basic standard if 5 games.  Those who are repeat offenders will likely start with 10 games.

What would we do if we were Scott?   If we were him and Buffalo agreed to pay us a big bag of dollars for our services.  Besides the money, we'd be an NHL player.  Those are two things that we've all imagined as we try to sleep at night. 

I kinda understand where Scott is coming from.  He's got a great job.  I'm sure he dreams of scoring a big goal. 

But, he has an awful role.  He, who plays maybe one or two shifts a game, is put on the ice against key opposition players after the game is in the bag, reveals his purpose.   His job is to use his size to punish the skilled on the other side. 

He didn't make that choice.  Darcy Regier did.

• Like 1