What the Hell just happen?

Jam1986

@Mad Dog_dog

@Adamflyers

NBC must've done a good job making it seem like a battle out there. The Pens passed to the Flyers all night, blackened glass to the point of probably needing replaced, and were just outright slow after the first. Dominated the first period but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the puck. Yes even Crosby looked slow (for him) and had no creativity. He handed the puck over half a dozen times himself.

I did think Schenn and especially Votacek looked good for you guys, but they were pretty much the only two that stood out on the ice from either team. Emery looked mediocre, with the majority of his saves from shots outside the dots, and a couple good plays on Sid's lackluster "breakaways". The Pens shots mostly went high and wide of some pretty wide open nets. The rest were Kennedy shots, aimed at the bullseye in the middle of Emery's chest.

The best thing I can say is Berube appears to have fixed your boys' conditioning issues. They looked fresher than in a lot of games this year. Did you know that the last three back to back second games you've played us where we've been off the night before have all been won by your squad?

I wish I could tell you hey your boys, Emery, whomever looked great and played a great game. It's easier accepting that as part of hockey than watching my boys suck three games in a row. Just my opinion from where I was sitting.

NBC did great job of pissing me off all night with stupid factoids from Dork Emmerick, but as far as making it seem like a battle out there, I observed that for myself. It was not game of the year material or anything like that, but that was a tight game with some pretty exciting moments.  Yes, the Pens blew their opportunities, but that is part of hockey.  At least they were creating opportunities.  They either missed or Emery came up with big saves.  I really think you're dislike for Emery is blinding you to the fact that he had a good night.  Not procaliming him a Vezina candidate, but the guy had a good game.  He was not making only easy saves.  He had to stop #87 on a break away, not to mention the good saves early on in the game, just before the disallowed kick in goal. 

Props to Flyers D for forcing Pens to the outside a lot and props to Emery for makin the easy saves and tough ones when needed.  

• Like 2

Why were they "rusty"? They were playing at home, against a hated division rival, coming off two consecutive one-goal losses.

It's the 18th game of the season - the "rust" should certainly be coming off (as it appears to be with the Flyers) if it isn't already.

You're not going to get too far whooping up on the Columbuses of the world.

That said, it's pretty amazing that in any other division, the top team in the Metro would break the Top Five in just two other divisions, would be fifth in both and likely not even make the playoffs.

Yes Rad...  I dunno what else to refer to those games when the teams have had a lot of downtime with little to do but practice and then when they get into a game they can't pass to one another, the puck wanders off their sticks left and right, they shoot wide of the net, they can't hold the pucks in at the line, they don't seem able to communicate well what they're doing with one another out there...  teams that have long layoffs or infrequent play often exhibit those problems.  Give me a better term for it and I'll gladly use it.   LOL 

Well, Ok, but whose fault is that?  Wouldn't that, and everything else you are mentioning, indicate the Pens *were* a worse of the two teams?  You are making it sounds like the Flyers won for no merit of their own.  And like Rad said, if your team had some sort of an issue getting up for that game, playing against their arch rival who also happened to play last night, what does that say about the Pens?

Look, I would be the last person you have to convince the Flyers are an issues-free team.  My discontent with how this team has played thus far was well documented on this board.  But I have to admit the last three games, it sure looked like the Flyers start coming to their own.  After the Edmonton and Ottawa games, I wanted to be cautioulsy optimistic saying that the last night game would be a more representaive gauge.  My feeling is the Flyers passed that test.  If I had to grade their performance last night, I woudl say they earned B-.  I liked what I saw last night and I think so should the team.

I'm glad you are happy with your team's performance.  

The Penguins were rusty from Saturday to Wednesday?  It's not as if we're talking about a week or something.  Rusty?

I don't think the Pens played particularly well, but if you can't get up for a rivalry game after only 3 days off and chalk it up to "rust" there is a real problem there.

Something is not clicking for the Pens right now, but I  have a hard time calling it rust.  And against a team that played in Canada the night before and had to go through customs, etc.  Yeah, I do think rust is a really weak excuse.  I'm not buying that one.

I don't need an "excuse".  I'm not arguing you guys deserved to win, as I never said it was a stolen game or anything stupid.  I simply have said from the start the Pens were very sloppy, more so than usual, and have been this past few games.  I can only attribute that streak to not enough competition and too much down time.  As a poster here who has quite often given your team credit when you've actually outplayed us even when we're doing well, why on earth would you think I'd need an "excuse" for anything??  

Agree with @Mad Dog.  I too in chat (before I had to leave because of plumbing issues in my house) said the Flyers were lucky to escape the 1st period with a 1-0 lead.  The Pens clearly dominated most of the 1st period.  I think I even said that the Flyers needed to turn it up a notch for the 2nd period because I was sure the Pens were gonna come out firing.  The PP goal that they scored on in the 2nd was a pretty tape to tape pass that beat Emery.  Though far from playing a perfect game, the Flyers defense tightened up enough to keep Crosby (except for his lone goal)  and company off the score board.  Give the Flyers credit, for a team which most of us on here has been highly critical of, they took some very positive steps in last nights game.  Sorry not buying the "rusty excuse".  Having 3 days off is not an eternity.

@Polaris922 ..

Just curious what if the Pens would have been playing the 2nd game of a back to back like the Flyers...would you have used the excuse of playing back to back and the guys were tired? Totally respect you, I just disagree with your assessment on why they lost.  Your boys came out firing in the 1st few minutes of the game.  That did not appear to be rust to me.  I'm just glad the goal was disallowed because I believe that would have given them all the momentum and they could have easily blown the game open then.  I liked your statement in chat last night when I finally came back in ..."they (the Pens) had their chances/opportunities and just did not take advantage of them."  Lets leave it at that.  It was a well played game and for whatever reason, the Flyers seem to play very well in your new barn...go figure. :unsure:  Sadly we have to wait till March till our teams meet again in a home and home series.

If the Pens had been playing the second game of a back to back, and lost it late in the third period, I might have said "Boy they sure looked tired" if they actually looked tired.  Is that an excuse?  Or an observation.  Much like what I've posted here from the start has been my observation.  I was at the game, and it was a regular snooze fest.  Both teams sucked.  Period.  Mine just happened to suck a little more than yours did in the end.  

NBC did great job of pissing me off all night with stupid factoids from Dork Emmerick, but as far as making it seem like a battle out there, I observed that for myself. It was not game of the year material or anything like that, but that was a tight game with some pretty exciting moments.  Yes, the Pens blew their opportunities, but that is part of hockey.  At least they were creating opportunities.  They either missed or Emery came up with big saves.  I really think you're dislike for Emery is blinding you to the fact that he had a good night.  Not procaliming him a Vezina candidate, but the guy had a good game.  He was not making only easy saves.  He had to stop #87 on a break away, not to mention the good saves early on in the game, just before the disallowed kick in goal. 

Props to Flyers D for forcing Pens to the outside a lot and props to Emery for makin the easy saves and tough ones when needed.  

Tight game?  Must have been the result of a smaller video screen.  LOL ;)  What I witnessed was a lot of sloppy play by both sides, but the worst of it was clearly in the Pens handling of the puck.  Even on one of the Crosby partial breakaways he lost the puck off his stick going in to the net.  It happens.  It just struck me that it happened a LOT last night.  

Guys I'm glad you're all happy with how your team played last night.  A win is a win, right?  Especially when they've been hard to come by.  My opinion is and shall remain that both teams sucked.  I've resisted using that term because I know you guys have been struggling, but other than Schenn and Voracek, I didn't see a whole hell of a lot for you guys to be excited about other than the end result.  *shrugs*  The game was a snooze fest from both sides of the rink.  I did say in the chat last night that the Pens missed a lot of their opportunities, and it was because they couldn't play for **** last night.  Sorry that's just how I saw it.  WHether you agree or disagree really isn't going to change how I feel about the game I sat at the rink and watched.  When my son who loves hockey is falling asleep in his chair because of how rare any excitement is, on his birthday no less, that tells me something.  

Enjoy the victory, and congrats.  I'm done beating the dead horse.  

Fair enough, Polaris - the 'time off' is something that can certainly effect a team.

I saw an improved Flyer team - certainly not one without warts and imperfections. And I saw a Pens team that probably should have been able to overcome a team on the back end of a B2B, having traveled overnight from another country the day before.

If Kunitz gets a stick and not a skate on that opening no goal, it might have gone a lot different for your side and much worse for mine. I think Pittsburgh got deflated and the Flyers were energized by the (correct) call from Tronno.

"Guys I'm glad you're all happy with how your team played last night.  A win is a win, right?  Especially when they've been hard to come by."

And there it is...the disconnect is that you have been watching good hockey all year while we have been watching putrid hockey all year.  For us, a game like lastnight is more than just a polished up turd.  It was not dominant by any stretch, but rather than fold like a cheap tent like they have done so often in the past, they kept at it and earned a win.  We realize that they are still working their way out of the hole they dug for themselves, so a win against the Pens is huge for this team.  From your perspective, this is a not a big deal win for the Flyers because they didn't dominate the game and they were not that crisp, but from our perspective, when you think your team has a good chance of being blown out, a win like lastnight looks good enough to give you some optimism.  Especialyl considering it is the 2nd game of a back to back, I'm not all that concerned that they were not hitting every pass. Right now, I'm still taking my optimism one game at a time.

• Like 4

Since Letang's return the Pens have been "off"  usually when he is out they struggle, now it seems there is something just not clicking for them, working him back into the rotation has been more difficult this time around. the Pens came out with the right amount of jump, they were flying they just weren't crisp and could not finish i wonder if playing the Flyers has something to do with that.  No one looks crisp when the Flyers play.

I'm not going to think too much about it though, my guys got a win, after the first period the play evened out, had that Kunitz goal counted i think the complexion of the game changes.  

It was not pretty but a W .  this season i'm used to the not pretty games being losses so like i said , i'll take it. 

@Polaris922

If the Pens had been playing the second game of a back to back, and lost it late in the third period, I might have said "Boy they sure looked tired" if they actually looked tired.  Is that an excuse?  Or an observation.  Much like what I've posted here from the start has been my observation.  I was at the game, and it was a regular snooze fest.  Both teams sucked.  Period.  Mine just happened to suck a little more than yours did in the end.  

Fair enough.... Like I said before...too bad we have to wait til March for games 3 & 4.

Edited by pilldoc

"Guys I'm glad you're all happy with how your team played last night.  A win is a win, right?  Especially when they've been hard to come by."

And there it is...the disconnect is that you have been watching good hockey all year while we have been watching putrid hockey all year.  For us, a game like lastnight is more than just a polished up turd.  It was not dominant by any stretch, but rather than fold like a cheap tent like they have done so often in the past, they kept at it and earned a win.  We realize that they are still working their way out of the hole they dug for themselves, so a win against the Pens is huge for this team.  From your perspective, this is a not a big deal win for the Flyers because they didn't dominate the game and they were not that crisp, but from our perspective, when you think your team has a good chance of being blown out, a win like lastnight looks good enough to give you some optimism.  Especialyl considering it is the 2nd game of a back to back, I'm not all that concerned that they were not hitting every pass. Right now, I'm still taking my optimism one game at a time.

Well said...I feel the exact sentiments.......

I don't need an "excuse".  I'm not arguing you guys deserved to win, as I never said it was a stolen game or anything stupid.  I simply have said from the start the Pens were very sloppy, more so than usual, and have been this past few games.  I can only attribute that streak to not enough competition and too much down time.  As a poster here who has quite often given your team credit when you've actually outplayed us even when we're doing well, why on earth would you think I'd need an "excuse" for anything??  

You're the last person I'm going to throw stones at.  You're usually a very fair poster, and the above is certainly true.

I was responding solely to the "rusty."  I have a very hard time believing that is the case and am simply saying IF it is, that's a problem for Pittsburgh.

Clearly, though, they have not been playing up to their ability the last three games.  Maybe their only playing 3 games in the last 10 days or so really does have something to do with it and has made them not as sharp (and if I understand you correctly, that is all you were really saying).  Maybe that's the case.    Maybe it's just part of the ebb and flow even a good team will have during a season (I actually suspect it's really nothing more than that).

The Flyers played better last night than they have at any point prior to the last week or so, but I don't *think* that would have been enough if the Pens were "clicking."  So, if all we're saying is that the Flyers caught them at the right moment--for whatever reason--I think we can agree.

The "rusty" just doesn't work for me.  I actually hadn't considered, in attacking "rusty," that it was your excuse.  I guess I was focused on "the Pens cannot use that excuse."

@Polaris922 I finally logged in from a laptop and noticed the signature.  That's pretty much your theme for the season isn't it...lol

Also, they didn't look rusty.  The Pens just played a more composed than usual Flyers team, and weren't quite prepared for that.  The Pens don't get an early lead, don't get a stream of momentum shifting PPs, and don't know how to react to a newfound concept of a Flyer guarding the blue paint.  It was not a typical bloodbath, for better or worse.  If the Flyers are back in playoff seeding by March, I'm sure we'll both get the game we want to watch.

something else of note - the Flyers are (i think it's) 7-1-1 at the Consul BlahblahWhateverIt'sCalled - the new Igloo. 7-1 - that's pretty incredible, I doubt any team has a better record there.

Are they really?  I mean I believe you, of course, but that's pretty incredible.

You inspired me get it right. So according to the Flyers' website the Flyers are indeed 7-1-1 @ the Consul Energy Center. (incl last night)

Yeah it's really something because it's not like the Pens have been push-overs the past 3 years. Remember we spoiled their debut? The schedulers picked the hated Flyers, a great rival match for the grand opening and the Flyers beat the Darling Pens (Bob in net, 3-2 Flyers). And Briere scored the first goal in their brand new building. Ha! Guess we deserved (and needed) some redemption at that point, coming off that Leighton debacle in the Final.

If you include the Igloo and all the games in Pittsburgh the Flyers have a losing record but not by much: 50-56-22-4 Not a big surprise I guess when you think of all those Mario/Jagr years, Francis etc. Actually I was surprised it's that close.

• Like 1