Who kidnapped the Flyers before the game last night?

FD19372

Has anyone seen a ransom note? :D They looked great, and I even saw a couple of times where they completed 3 passes in a row. They played like a legit NHL team. Giroux looked 75% like his old self. Berube should definitely keep those line combos together, at least until they get beat 7-1 by the Pens (I hope I'm wrong).

this is what drives me crazy with this team and the reason i want changes now because it's the same bs, they play good then they play like crap, it's been like this for years, this is why i get so frustrated with this team, until they put a ten game winning steak and keep it that way then maybe i'll be on board with team,

this team is just frustrating to watch.

I've posted a few times now about (what I see as) the obvious improvement in Team D this year. As I recall only Doom noticed it too and commented. Most folks say we're too slow (immobile) or too old on the back end and they stick to that, claiming the Flyers can't play an uptempo system or that they have too many "stiffs" on the blue line. But defending the net is every skater's job and it's been coming together this season.

Now we're finally seeing some progress in the other zones. It was evident in the Edmonton game and we saw it again last night. The breakouts are organized, the passes are connecting, the forwards are maintaining a smart distance from each other and the D-men. In the O zone there is much more movement without the puck and it carried over to the PP last night (2 for 3).

It's easy (and correct) to say Edmonton is a bad team; also that Ottawa played terribly last night. Still I give the Flyers credit: they won the games they were supposed to win. Tonight is a big test. We get to see how much improvement "sticks" when facing a really good offensive team.

I've posted a few times now about (what I see as) the obvious improvement in Team D this year. As I recall only Doom noticed it too and commented. Most folks say we're too slow (immobile) or too old on the back end and they stick to that, claiming the Flyers can't play an uptempo system or that they have too many "stiffs" on the blue line. But defending the net is every skater's job and it's been coming together this season.

Now we're finally seeing some progress in the other zones. It was evident in the Edmonton game and we saw it again last night. The breakouts are organized, the passes are connecting, the forwards are maintaining a smart distance from each other and the D-men. In the O zone there is much more movement without the puck and it carried over to the PP last night (2 for 3).

It's easy (and correct) to say Edmonton is a bad team; also that Ottawa played terribly last night. Still I give the Flyers credit: they won the games they were supposed to win. Tonight is a big test. We get to see how much improvement "sticks" when facing a really good offensive team.

the fact is this d doesnt have many good puck movers, they only ones that are good at it are gus and streit, timms was good at it and he's all washed up, if homer is still the gm, he has to get another puck mover.

@canoli

Sorry Canoli. I really don't mean to piss on your parade, but I watch intently every game and I even have been to two open practices this year. I still maintain this defense is bad. They *are* immobile, slow and mistake-prone. And the scary part is they actually added Streit to at least try to alleviate this issue. And I think it did help at least to some extent. I can't even imagine how terrible this teams’ D would look without him, not that he is a savior or anything like that.

As you said yourself, Edmonton was not the most accurate gauge and Ottawa, for whatever reason, didn’t seem to be ready to play last night.

Look, I am a die-hard fan of this team, so please don’t take it the wrong way.  I would like nothing better than to praise them and talk about their great qualities.  But I am also trying to be objective.  Maybe I am missing something significant and that’s right in front of me, but I just don’t see anything positive about this defense.  Hope to be wrong, of course and hope that the last two games were signs for good things to come.

It was refreshing to see 60 min of effort out there last night.  Now can they put that same type of effort in on back to back nights???

we shall see.....

But yes...it was nice for them to contol the tempo of the game for most part......

This guy on the back end seems to be the biggest momentum killer:

luke-schenn-o.gif

Outside of that, they (Ott) tried to split Striet and he read that on three separate occasions by my account. Grossman is slow, but has been effective, Timonen is not worth 60k let alone 6mm. Outside of that, the team in general looks to be more committed to defense and they look like they actually may be playing a system. 

Tonight will be a test in my opinion. The biggest test of the season.

What @canoli said

they aren't giving up 40 shots and 17 chances a night, if the D were that terrible that's what we'd be seeing.

they are giving up shots but lately (the last 2 weeks) those shots are largely coming from the perimeter, there are still chances, it is the NHL and there are talented players on every team, but the number of times the goalies are made to come up with the great save is down.  And for the first time in a long time the goalie has been making those saves.

the team looked quick last night in Ottawa, the skaters didn't magically get faster, they used the puck and moved their feet, **** works in all 3 zones.

they keep playing this way, they will be fun to watch again.

• Like 2

Maybe I am missing something significant and that’s right in front of me, but I just don’t see anything positive about this defense.

well, they are playing pretty decent defense, anyway.  through the terrible start to the season, the flyers aren't exactly hemorrhaging shots or goals against.  proper support from the forwards and a few solid breakouts goes a long way towards alleviating footspeed shortcomings.  and it is starting to look like both of those things are beginning to happen. 

• Like 2

Maybe I am missing something significant and that’s right in front of me, but I just don’t see anything positive about this defense.

well if you noticed I said "TEAM D" and made the point that

defending the net is every skater's job

and I think it's coming together....slowly but surely. The really bad plays by Coburn, Kimmo (among others), the puck-staring, the blind passes, the totally-braindead defensive missteps have all but ended. The past 2 games there've been none, no "really bad plays" by anyone, just the normal miscues, etc. that all teams do sometimes.

Breakdowns in coverage hurt every team and with the Flyers they've happened in transition not in their own zone. But now we're beginning to see a better transition game too, which leads to forechecking and puck-possession. Maybe it's only because the last 2 teams have been terrible defensively...but maybe not. We're going to find out a lot tonight I guess.

Edited by canoli

@canoli

@aziz

Well, I would agree (begrudgingly) that the brain farts, turnovers, missed coverage, and blind passes are slowly going away.  I don't know if the last 2 games is a representative enough sample to say they are playing decent team D, but we should be taking one step at a time.

We will get a much better clue tonight.

The improvement in TEAM D isn't limited to the last 2 games. The Flyers have played solid defensively all season. Unfortunately the turnovers and mistakes obscured the better positioning, the shot-blocking, the rotation / pickups in the D zone. Now that they've cut out the dumb stuff you can see the defense has been a team effort all along. The PK has been strong because you don't transition or attack; it's all about setting up and defending, which is when the Flyers have been at their best.

[edit: btw the Flyers are now 5-4-1 in their last 10. Ha! Who knew?]

Edited by canoli

My best guess is that the kidnapper was that angry mad man who snapped giroux's stick in half during the oilers game.

Has anyone seen a ransom note? :D They looked great, and I even saw a couple of times where they completed 3 passes in a row. They played like a legit NHL team. Giroux looked 75% like his old self. Berube should definitely keep those line combos together, at least until they get beat 7-1 by the Pens (I hope I'm wrong).

I agree and also i agree with Both your assessments if Ottawa an Edmonton are valid, but the devils and te hurricanes played like crap too and somehow this flyers team decided to kick its own butt in those games.

They looked better the last two. Like they'd played the game before. That alone is a mild victory.

Tonight thy could lose, but if they continue to play somewhat coherent hockey, I'll be content.

Gotta play and beat who you're scheduled. And given how they were playing ten games ago or so I'll take points against any NHL team. They ARE beginning to do some of the little things right so it's a good start

Has anyone seen a ransom note? :D They looked great, and I even saw a couple of times where they completed 3 passes in a row. They played like a legit NHL team. Giroux looked 75% like his old self. Berube should definitely keep those line combos together, at least until they get beat 7-1 by the Pens (I hope I'm wrong).

Just keep it up!