Should the Flyers Go After Tyler Myers?

Jmdodgesrt4

No!  just NO!

Myers has a NMC as well.

I doubt the Sabres pay him a $10mil signing bonus and let him walk away a year later.

Myers' NMC isn't active until 25.

The signing bonus is another thing entirely.

Myers made $12 million last season.

Even if Buffalo went for that trade, I'm not sure it would be smart from the Flyers point of view. Even with his shortcomings, Coburn is one of the team's better, if not the best, defensive defenseman. Myers will not fill that role, and he may or may not fill the role of offensive defenseman. I don't think the potential reward would be worth the risk.

If the Flyers were to go shopping for defense, I would rather see them going after a Hamhuis/Bieksa/Kronwall type player. Someone who can skate reasonably well, isn't too big or too small, who can play solid D, and who doesn't handle the puck like it's a live grenade. Lower risk, lower reward, makes more sense to me.

Your bottom paragraph has always made me wonder what happened to Denis siedenberg and the flyers

I wouldn't press the luck banking on the whole "change of scenery" approach.   Its great that Mason looks like he has revamped his career in Philly but its wrong to assume that would be the case with Myers.   The other difference is getting Mason in the fold was a low risk, high reward move.   Going after Myers would be high risk, low, moderate to maybe high reward.   Its a lot of risk and you don't really know what you are getting long term.   The moves this team makes going forward the next 2 seasons cannot be gambles. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't press the luck banking on the whole "change of scenery" approach.   Its great that Mason looks like he has revamped his career in Philly but its wrong to assume that would be the case with Myers.   The other difference is getting Mason in the fold was a low risk, high reward move.   Going after Myers would be high risk, low, moderate to maybe high reward.   Its a lot of risk and you don't really know what you are getting long term.   The moves this team makes going forward the next 2 seasons cannot be gambles. 

THIS!