Should the Flyers Go After Tyler Myers?

Jmdodgesrt4

I wonder what it would take to get Myers from buffalo. That's if the sabres would be interested in moving him. I for one thinks he needs a change of scenery. Anybody be interested? At what cost? I for one would like to have him but not really at cost of our roster players now except mezz. Maybe coby and Laughton ?

I guess I would be interested, but I really wouldn't know who I'd move for him.   Hartnell?

Right now, I'm kind of in the "wait and see and don't do anything to screw it up" phase.  I like the results recently, although I know of it is against lesser competition (I know, you beat who you're scheduled). But the team seems to be building some chemistry and I'd just as soon leave it alone.

Myers is a good player.  I'm just not sure I want to trade what would be necessary to get him.

I guess I would be interested, but I really wouldn't know who I'd move for him.   Hartnell?

That would seem to be the only possibility. Myers' cap hit for $5.5 through 2019 means you'd have to get Buffalo to take back one of OUR bad contracts. And they would be just plain stupid to take Hartnell at his 750k a year less deal for the same time period. No way this happens. Not to mention I'm not sure I'd want Myers at that $, I like him, but as @flyercanuck pointed out, I don't like him as much as I did a couple years ago....

That would seem to be the only possibility. Myers' cap hit for $5.5 through 2019 means you'd have to get Buffalo to take back one of OUR bad contracts. And they would be just plain stupid to take Hartnell at his 750k a year less deal for the same time period. No way this happens. Not to mention I'm not sure I'd want Myers at that $, I like him, but as @Leach27 pointed out, I don't like him as much as I did a couple years ago....

Completely agreed.   I was going to say that the "just plain stupid" on the Buffalo side wasn't out of the question (Leino), but they do have a new sheriff in town.

I originally somehow missed the "Coburn and Laughton" part of the deal. No way in hell. Heck Coburn straight up would be more than fair.

Nope, I like Coburn more, he's part of the team chemistry, and his contract is more reasonable.

Myers? Not interested at that salary. Not even for Hartnell.

No. Be patient. Wait for Morin and Hagg.

Yes, this makes perfect sense. I believe the Myers saga could go either way, a straight up 50/50 chance he becomes an all-star or an overpaid slug. I don't want to the team taking the chance on him. Regardless of how this turns out, he is being paid to not only play defense, but supply offense from the back end, and he is showing NO signs of coming out of his prolonged offensive slumber. Let someone else take the multi million dollar Nestea plunge!!

From a Sabres point of view Myers would cost a ton. And Hartnell is not the type of player the Sabres r in the market for. You don't give up on a 23 year old 6'8 defenseman who skate and provide offense. I think he gets a bad ride in Buffalo. People expect him to be Chara but he's not. That's not his style. He's played well this season I think since coming into camp in shape and injury free. He's def started to excel in Nolans offensive style. He played well with Zadorov before the Sabres deciding to end the youth movement and said Zadorov to London. Next year that could be a great pair of size.

• Like 1

Although our defense has played well, the bottom line is, our two most offensive skilled dmen,Timo and Streit are also our oldest. I would bet neither would hold up after a full season and a long physical playoff run. So I definitely think, we could use a defenseman, but not a big slow guy like Myers . We really need a skating , puck rushing ,offensive guy. A guy to QB the PP, and rush the puck and also score some goals.The question is where do you get him and for who.

All our dmen in the AHL are stay at home , types, so there's no help there,and Morin and Haag are several years away, neither of those guys are projected as offensive dynamos. Timmo is retiring ,so I can see a move for defense eventually. I also see a guy like, Coots, B Schenn or Laughton being the bait,too many centers as usual. Of course if any of those 3 are moved it better be for a young equally as promising dman.

Acquiring a guy like Myers comes down to cost for me.  If they take Meszaros off our hands...I would consider it.  That is a high contract this year only for a high longer contract.  If they offset the salary this year by keeping back some of that money it could potentially work for us. 

Sabres have alot of young depth on D. IMO if the Sabres decide to move him they will likely want at least a top six forward, forward prospect and a pick going back. As others have mentioned also not sure how we could get Myers to fit under the cap unless we get salary off the books.

Edited by Samifan

No. Be patient. Wait for Morin and Hagg.

Could.not.agree.more...

This Team, although playing well, is still not a contender in my book. 

Right now is the time to be patient and do not make any quick & stupid trades for long term deals.   Homer, to his credit, could have pulled the trigger early on and gave away some of our youth for some overpaid aging vet.   Unless there is a deal that would fetch a true #1 Dman I just rather wait for big Sam and Hagg to crack the lineup.  Let this group grow together... the core is young.

There is no way you trade Coburn and Laughton for that contract.

There's been a lot worse one-sided trades than Myers for Coburn would be.

I don't disagree at all.

However you said

"Heck Coburn straight up would be more than fair. "

And I said there is no way YOU would trade Myers straight up for Coburn.

Because Coburn straight up is in no way "fair" much less "more than" 

:D

I originally somehow missed the "Coburn and Laughton" part of the deal. No way in hell. Heck Coburn straight up would be more than fair. 

Yes i agree the way Coburn has turned his game around i'll pass and not ready to give up on Laughton not knowing what he can/could be yet....

if i trade Coby at all i'd rather trade him out west...we trade him in the East he'll turn his game around for sure and become the next Lidstrom i know it...ok maybe that is pushing it!!!! ;)

There is no way you trade Coburn and Laughton for that contract.

There's been a lot worse one-sided trades than Myers for Coburn would be.

Even if Buffalo went for that trade, I'm not sure it would be smart from the Flyers point of view. Even with his shortcomings, Coburn is one of the team's better, if not the best, defensive defenseman. Myers will not fill that role, and he may or may not fill the role of offensive defenseman. I don't think the potential reward would be worth the risk.

If the Flyers were to go shopping for defense, I would rather see them going after a Hamhuis/Bieksa/Kronwall type player. Someone who can skate reasonably well, isn't too big or too small, who can play solid D, and who doesn't handle the puck like it's a live grenade. Lower risk, lower reward, makes more sense to me.