Streit

brelic

To be fair to him, his passing is still there.  He is still capable of moving the puck out of the zone either through a quick pass or carrying it.  Just about everything else in his game has been plain abysmal.  I liked the move and like some posters, I could at least see the reason why they did it.  But for what he's been bringing to the table this year, the Flyers could have used Oliver Lauridsen and pay him peanuts, while seing if he can develop.  The outcome would probably end up being the same, if not more favorable.

Again....never liked the signing. Yet another "we're going for it" move by a gm who's team finished out of the playoffs. Hows those over 35 contracts working out for ya Homer? And he won't learn from this one either.

That was me as well; I understood why they signed him and I didn't dislike the move. I hated the contract the day it was signed and still do. It's too long, and has the ever present NMC/NTC. You are correct about his skating/outlet passing but he doesn't do either enough in my opinion. He should be doing "good" things and winning most of his shifts. Instead he loses a lot of his shifts and almost always seems to make the wrong/bad play.

I don't hate the guy. I'm more disappointed at how, well, disappointing his play has been.

I hope he can become the player the Flyers were expecting. Lord knows they could use that player!

Maybe 3 or 4 years from now he'll start to come around?

What baffles me is how could he play so well for the isles and then struggle so badly for your flyers? The man was a talent on the island, beating a lot of good defensemen's numbers while playing with very little talent around him. His numbers have been superior to Timonen's every season you've had him. It only made sense that when he got in black and orange his numbers would improve with a more talented squad around him. He was a signing that as a rival I absolutely dreaded.

So here is the question... is he just going through the transition blues a lot of players suffer? Is it something in the flyers system that mutes his production? Initially I'd have said it was the stupidity of playing Timonen before him on the PP... but now he's getting the PP time. How does a guy on pace for a 46 point season with the islanders move to a supposedly more talented team and end up on pace for 27?

That's a question I'd imagine Holmgren is struggling with as well. This was the ONE signing I gave him credit for, even if I did think the term was too long.

Tavares, Moulson, Boyes, Streit, Okposo, Visnovsky - not entirely devoid of talent.

And the "talent challenged" Islanders made the playoffs last year while the "more talented" Flyers were golfing.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

He's (hopefully) not as bad as he's looked. We could pick just about anyone on Philly this year north of the goalies and say the same thing. But as you know, I never liked the signing.

I didn't like it either... As a Pens fan. Until then you had no defenseman that were a threat. None. When you signed him I thought "we'll shucks" but in more vulgar terms. ;).

I thought from the Flyers perspective the only negative was the length. But right now I don't understand why he's struggling.

Tavares, Moulson, Boyes, Streit, Okposo, Visnovsky - not entirely devoid of talent.

And the "talent challenged" Islanders made the playoffs last year while the "more talented" Flyers were golfing.

I never said devoid of it, just very little. And your offense the past couple seasons before rated what? #2? I thought last year a fluke... Now I'm starting to wonder. Yes the Isles have improved, but I never thought your boys would continue struggling as they have!

I never said devoid of it, just very little. And your offense the past couple seasons before rated what? #2? I thought last year a fluke... Now I'm starting to wonder. Yes the Isles have improved, but I never thought your boys would continue struggling as they have!

Flyers were #9 Goals For last season. Islanders were 6.

Year before that Flyers were #3 overall. Four of their top ten points getters are no longer with the team (Jagr, Briere, Carle, Talbot). Beating a dead horse here, but not re-signing Jagr and Carle was a tragic, tragic mistake.

The year before that they were #3 overall as well. Five players remain from that team.

Flyers are now #27 overall in GFA, Islanders are 22.

I didn't think we'd be having this "he's lost it" conversation for a couple of three years.

He has not been awful in his own end but hasn't brought the offensive upside the team needed so badly.

I thought it was an okay signing , thought he'd help the transition game and would be a nice PP QB, i did think the contract was for a year too long. I also thought that he was "stop gap" a bridge between Timmonen , Mezaros Coburn to , Coburn , Alt. Ghotisbehere, Hagg and maybe Morin.

It is a long season and he may yet be the player he was recently for the Islanders, that guy was a pretty good player.

I also think @Howie58 makes a good point about Chief's system.  It is new,so I imagine there is still some learning curve going on with players, they're still thinking I need to do x, and y instead of just doing x and y . perhaps that hurts Striet's game as well, maybe he's got it and the forwards aren't "caught up to him" yet or maybe he's struggling and doing the thinking.

I was hoping to be typing about the occasional weak defensive play but to be mostly satisfied with his performance which until recently was okay, but not what we were all looking for from him.

10000% agree with this statement.  To me, he has done little/none of what he was signed to do, and has brought little/nothing of what he was supposed to have done for the NYI.  Then you compound it with terrible defensive play(never his strong suit anyway) and it amounts to a brutal signing 3 months in. 

Hopefully, he can find his sea legs and figure things out.

He's not going to. He's 35 and has been on the decline for a little while now. He's not going to get better. It was a bad signing, which is why so many people hated it from the get-go. Homer gets a lot of **** because it's the cool thing to do nowadays,  but this is justified. This was not a good signing by him. The VLC signing looks bad right now because he's hurt, but at least Vinny has produced somewhat. Streit has done nothing and is actually a liability on the ice.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Now all we need is Nodl and Pyrola with Raffl .....

You forget about some of these guys after the fact, but it always seems like there's some guy who "skates well" (or some other bullsh!t alone those lines) that somebody gets a crush on, but he doesn't produce for sh!t.

:lol:

I was going to say the same exact thing, but I'm glad you did because you can get away with it.

From you, I could say the sun is going to rise in the east and you would deny it. Just the kind of person you are. Are you really going to argue that Rosehill is a better option than Raffl? I say Raffl is better on the ice than Rosehill against any teams but maybe Buffalo and the Leafs due to the beef they can ice.To quote someone on this site...." Only an IDIOT would think otherwise........" ;)

From you, I could say the sun is going to rise in the east and you would deny it

The sun does not rise in the east.   Due to the earth's spin, from a fixed point on the earth's surface the sun typically becomes visible in the east and then later in the day the earth blocks the sun from view in the west.  But the sun doesn't "rise."

Glad I could help with this.   :ph34r:

• Like 1

From you, I could say the sun is going to rise in the east and you would deny it. Just the kind of person you are. Are you really going to argue that Rosehill is a better option than Raffl? I say Raffl is better on the ice than Rosehill against any teams but maybe Buffalo and the Leafs due to the beef they can ice.To quote someone on this site...." Only an IDIOT would think otherwise........" ;)

Why are you so pissy? Almost every one of your posts to me since I started coming around here is filled with some kind of personal comment. I remember you from PTPITN, but don't remember enough about you to figure out why you have a stick up your ass when talking to me, but can talk to someone about the same issue in an adult manner (like rux). Did I call you an a-hole on another board like 10 years ago or something?

No, I am not going to argue that. I never said that and never will. I do not want Raffl in the line up, but never said Rosehill should play instead of him. I'd prefer McGinn be given a chance over both of them.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I am still waiting for you/fanatic to justify Rosehill is a better option than Raffl...... :blink:

I am still waiting for anyone to justify how Rosehill is a better option than the guy who was fake signing at the Mandela funeral.

Time to make the donuts guy > Raffl > Rosehill

I don't understand the Raffl hate. The guy belongs on the 4th line instead of Rosehill against 28 other NHL teams. He does a decent job killing penalties and was not brought in for his offense. Streit on the other hand needs to have a curse removed or something....maybe soak his pants in lighter fluid and he will get the message.....

@ruxpin

@fanaticV3.0

My first statement before being "corrected" followed by fanatic I am glad you said it to him because I couldn't.  You 2 can keep glad handing one another if it makes you feel good...you do seem to be getting good at it. ;)  We were discussing actual options.....I am pretty sure the guy who makes the donuts is not under contract......... :ph34r:

@ruxpin

@fanaticV3.0

My first statement before being "corrected" followed by fanatic I am glad you said it to him because I couldn't.  You 2 can keep glad handing one another if it makes you feel good...you do seem to be getting good at it. ;)  We were discussing actual options.....I am pretty sure the guy who makes the donuts is not under contract......... :ph34r:

I don't know what "glad handing one another" means, but I can guess based on the context.

Why do you act like somebody just punched you in your lady parts every time someone disagrees with you? You get so butt hurt the second somebody challenges your opinion that you start hurling (really lame ones btw) insults and start putting words in people's mouths. Not liking Raffle doesn't mean we said we want Rosehill to get his spot. Seriously, take a reading and comprehension class. You get all huffy over stuff people never said, then you look at them like they're the one with 3 heads.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

@ruxpin

@fanaticV3.0

Rod, first, I'm playing and you know it.  If you're serious about this, I would suggest maybe a larger size brief.

I certainly haven't advocated Rosehill ahead of anyone.   I don't think I've seen anyone doing that.   I'm not quite sure I understand why you're harping on that.

Streit 1 Streit 2 Streit 3 I said it on another post 3 Streits you're out. Having said that one man does not lose a game and there is enough blame to go around for  the play on the ice. Looking for the perfect shot all the time just doesn't work. Shots from the point without a man in front of goalie is a waste. Most goalies will see that shot and gobble it up. Some believe that faceoffs are not important  the difference in the last game was  awful. Get in the game boys!

Flyers were #9 Goals For last season. Islanders were 6.

Year before that Flyers were #3 overall. Four of their top ten points getters are no longer with the team (Jagr, Briere, Carle, Talbot). Beating a dead horse here, but not re-signing Jagr and Carle was a tragic, tragic mistake.

The year before that they were #3 overall as well. Five players remain from that team.

Flyers are now #27 overall in GFA, Islanders are 22.

My apologies... #3 then not #2. I hate when I can't remember good Flyers stats. ;)

@flyercanuck

Not that fast! Lol

Streit 1 Streit 2 Streit 3 I said it on another post 3 Streits you're out. Having said that one man does not lose a game and there is enough blame to go around for  the play on the ice. Looking for the perfect shot all the time just doesn't work. Shots from the point without a man in front of goalie is a waste. Most goalies will see that shot and gobble it up. Some believe that faceoffs are not important  the difference in the last game was  awful. Get in the game boys!

Streit sucks - and I think that's ok to say that - but I agree there's a lot of guys sucking right now. Both Schenns are playing like sh!t, Giroux and Voracek still don't have their heads on straight, and VLC is about one hangnail away from being a really bad signing. Everybody gets hurt and it's ok to miss time, but after he comes back, I'd say if he misses any more during his first season here, that's bad. Real bad.

My apologies... #3 then not #2. I hate when I can't remember good Flyers stats. ;)

Well, the important point you seem to miss is that they didn't "add Streit" to the team that was #3 in the league in scoring. That team that was #3 was missing 40% of it's top 10 scorers that made the second round two years ago and is missing 75% of the team from three years ago when they went to the Final.

They added Streit to the team that was #9 in the league (and lost 20% of its Top Ten scorers).

I like what the Flyers were going for when they got Streit.   Streit's "upside" was what was perceived to be missing on the Flyers' blueline since they forgot to offer Matt Carle a contract.   I guess they figured they'd rather have a winger-light play defense than not have anyone that can move the puck.

But the contract was utterly ridiculous even before Streit signed it.  And now that the "upside" isn't what was advertised and the downside is actually becoming worse, it's just a disaster.  And that disaster has a lot of room to grow as he ages.