How much worse does it have to get? Is Homer in Sochi?

The Quigster

Homer's absence considering the present stagnancy of the Flyers is amazing. Normally he would be running around the league,"bustin' a gut" to make a move,any move. If you think last night's game was bad wait until Bruins show up. If there was ever a good time for Homer to pull a rabbit out of his hat,this is it!

Hopefully he can pull off another JVR for Schenn trade. Or an Eminger for a 1st. Or the equivalent of 4-1st round picks for a year and a half of Pronger and six more years of cap hell. Or trade a 1st and a 3rd for Versteeg, then trade him for a 2nd and a 3rd. Or get Bryz again. Or Kubina. Hey we could use another Rosehill. 

I don't think we need anymore "rabbits out of a hat".

• Like 2

Homer's absence considering the present stagnancy of the Flyers is amazing. Normally he would be running around the league,"bustin' a gut" to make a move,any move. If you think last night's game was bad wait until Bruins show up. If there was ever a good time for Homer to pull a rabbit out of his hat,this is it!

Please lets ride this season out and let the young kids grow there is no miracle trade around the corner, I'd trade Mezz for whatever they can get and just let this young team take their lumps...lets try something new. Patience is needed from everyone lets the chips fall where they may....this IMHO.

• Like 2

Please lets ride this season out and let the young kids grow there is no miracle trade around the corner, I'd trade Mezz for whatever they can get and just let this young team take their lumps...lets try something new. Patience is needed from everyone lets the chips fall where they may....this IMHO.

The young kids are a huge part of the problem. Gomer has a lot invested in B Schenn and Couturier and both have been wildly inconsistent. I don't think either will ever be a top 6 forward. 

Gomer has a lot invested in B Schenn and Couturier and both have been wildly inconsistent

Schenn is a RFA after this season and Cooter is on a decent bridge contract.  Cooter migh be inconsistent w/ his offense but he is hands down the best defensive forward on the Team and still a kid.   Not sure how we have a lot invested...  I understand they are both big parts of this Team but they are very young. Patience folks...

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

^^^^THIS^^^^^

There are no trades that will make this Team an immediate contender.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

+1.  I'm happy Homer hasn't made any rash moves.   Showing restraint and patience with a young core is a good thing.   The folly of the Flyers organization has always been the mindset that they are only 1 or 2 trades away from being a legit contender.   The meat isn't ready to go on the grill yet, its still marinating.  

• Like 1

The young kids are a huge part of the problem. Gomer has a lot invested in B Schenn and Couturier and both have been wildly inconsistent. I don't think either will ever be a top 6 forward. 

Agreed, agreed, and disagreed.

This team needs some veteran help. Anyone pushing more youth is a blind fool. What this team needs right now is some experience. I completely agree these kids need a calming veteran presence, especially on D. I agree the kids have been a little inconsistent, but they're still showing progress.

I think Schenn could easily be a top 6 guy. He's still growing. He's not missed a single game this year and is on pace for a career high of 48 points in his "3rd" NHL season (he actually hasn't gotten the chance to play more than 54 games a year). I could see saying Couturier might not be top 6, but even then it's still pretty damn early.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Schenn is a RFA after this season and Cooter is on a decent bridge contract.  Cooter migh be inconsistent w/ his offense but he is hands down the best defensive forward on the Team and still a kid.   Not sure how we have a lot invested...  I understand they are both big parts of this Team but they are very young. Patience folks...

Couturier is playing very well on defense, but I don't think it's out of line for someone to say he might not be a top 6 guy one day.

Couturier is playing very well on defense, but I don't think it's out of line for someone to say he might not be a top 6 guy one day.

My question is, "Was Couturier ever drafted to be a top 6 forward?"   Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the buzz about him on draft day being a "Jordan Staal type" defensive first, shutdown 3rd line center with some offensive upside?   I'd say he's pacing himself to be that kind of player. 

It's not until after B. Schenn and Couturier are traded away in some knee-jerk reaction by an impatient management and playing for their NEW teams that they'll turn into the awesomely awesome players I think they could be and have given us glimpses of.  That's always how it always seems to happen in Flyers World.

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

I think you're right. With everyone else having to take more penalties to keep their average up with him out of the lineup, they're just not focusing on winning anymore.

It is all b/c Rinaldo is out of the lineup :ph34r: .... as with all ridiculous posts: moing along...

Schenn is a top six forwar folks. Sorry to break it to you.

Coots gets no respect. The dude is a monster defensively. The way he plays is HUGE. In ways that Shemn will simply never be. The fact that he's feeling his oats offensively a bit now is just a great sign. Even when he's not scoring he's showing a lot more initiative.

Recently I feel like I've even started seeing him using his size and feeling confident enough to generate some speed.

He's a good player already and is only getting better.

Schenner needs consistency. It would be great if he could play with a jagr type or a Briere type. It's too bad VLC got hurt and appears to be coming back slowly, or I think Brayden would be learning a lot from him.

Right now I wouldn't make a trade unless it was for draft posioning AND the only if there was someone I really wanted.

Nonine's trading us weber before the Olympics, so there's no immediate hole to fill. The hole is time and experience.

Now that hey have mason and razor, they actually can rebuild. This is the deal. This is what it looks like. It ain't pretty when you play the "get ba to get good" card, but that's what we're playing so we gotta own it.

Agreed, agreed, and disagreed.

This team needs some veteran help. Anyone pushing more youth is a blind fool. What this team needs right now is some experience. I completely agree these kids need a calming veteran presence, especially on D. I agree the kids have been a little inconsistent, but they're still showing progress.

I think Schenn could easily be a top 6 guy. He's still growing. He's not missed a single game this year and is on pace for a career high of 48 points in his "3rd" NHL season (he actually hasn't gotten the chance to play more than 54 games a year). I could see saying Couturier might not be top 6, but even then it's still pretty damn early.

Coots gets no respect. The dude is a monster defensively. The way he plays is HUGE. In ways that Shemn will simply never be. The fact that he's feeling his oats offensively a bit now is just a great sign. Even when he's not scoring he's showing a lot more initiative.

Recently I feel like I've even started seeing him using his size and feeling confident enough to generate some speed.

Schenner needs consistency. It would be great if he could play with a jagr type or a Briere type. It's too bad VLC got hurt and appears to be coming back slowly, or I think Brayden would be learning a lot from him.

Right now I wouldn't make a trade unless it was for draft posioning AND the only if there was someone I really wanted.

Nonine's trading us weber before the Olympics, so there's no immediate hole to fill. The hole is time and experience.

Now that hey have mason and razor, they actually can rebuild. This is the deal. This is what it looks like. It ain't pretty when you play the "get ba to get good" card, but that's what we're playing so we gotta own it.

Pretty much, this.

What denotes top 6 officially? Score sheet?

That's Schenn now, though in points Coots is only 7 behind Schenn.

In minutes per game Coots is only behind Giroux among centers... by a lot- like 3 and a half mins per game. In a sense that could make him a top 6 now depending on your definition.

Post of the year. Very well said

All do respect fanatic what more veteran presence do you need? We have Timo, Grossman, Coburn is up there now, VL, Streit, Hartnell....we have enough vets already. 

This team is going to take its lumps they are still a growing team...I say we need more youth on defense...I would like the see the Flyers get some young run and gun kids on the defensive side because it is very slow right now. Better shooting from the point and better outlet passing.

you should be sorry to break it to us that schenn is a top 6 forward.  only on this team would that be possible.

and, what are you basing your assessment of schenn on? his play off the ice? he disappears for weeks on end even though he is playing with 2 guys who create tons of space out there for him. you say he should play with "a jagr type or a briere type". he did - and that didn't turn out so well for him. i know schenn's young but he doesn't work hard enough out there, and effort has nothing to do with experience.

as for Couturier, he has an active stick and tries hard, but his skating is very, very poor. 

Somebody's a little grumpy today, huh?

they've been playing poorly. All of them. I can't blame you.

you should be sorry to break it to us that schenn is a top 6 forward. only on this team would that be possible.

and, what are you basing your assessment of schenn on? his play off the ice? he disappears for weeks on end even though he is playing with 2 guys who create tons of space out there for him. you say he should play with "a jagr type or a briere type". he did - and that didn't turn out so well for him. i know schenn's young but he doesn't work hard enough out there, and effort has nothing to do with experience.

as for Couturier, he has an active stick and tries hard, but his skating is very, very poor.

Ok, I agree trading off the young core is a bad idea.... _but_ there is zero excuse for not giving 100 percent and there's few on this team that do.  I'd be happy to watch this team lose a lot more games if I saw a consistent effort but I'm not seeing it.  I think that's a lot of the frustration we're seeing on the board right now... it's not the W/L record it's the effort / no effort record.

Just an aside... has anyone timed the zone time in a typical flyers game... take two stop watches and push one when the puck is in the Flyers O and the other when in the flyers D.... you'll see a truly depressing result.

Somebody's a little grumpy today, huh?

they've been playing poorly. All of them. I can't blame you.

i am not grumpy, just realistic.

it's the same garbage every year. like colorado al posted, the effort simply isn't there and, like it or not, brayden schenn is one of those players who takes way too many shifts off. 

to say schenn is a top 6 forward "because he is," is nuts. let's face it, schenn didn't earn that spot - he was gifted a top 6 spot because Gomer gave up a lot to acquire him. schenn doesn't play like a top 6 forward and his stats show, that on any other team, he would be no better than a third liner. schenn is on pace to score 49 points in 82 games. mediocre, at best, and certainly not top 6 numbers! schenn was given every opportunity to prove himself and has failed time and time and time again to do so. 

as for couturier, i really like his moxie, but his skating is so poor that i wonder how high his ceiling really is?

Edited by caluso