Best we looked all year

caluso

i have been really impressed with the competitiveness of the team these last three games. if we could sustain that...

and, our gap control has been fantastic. i hate to oversimplify things, but when we aren't impersonating the keystone kops in our own zone, we are pretty good.

• Like 2

The definitely ratcheted up the compete level and their play positionally has been much better.  Mason looks like he is regaining his form from the start of the year.  Giroux has been outstanding.  Dare I say that Luke Schenn has played well since being paired with Gus.  I think when Timonen gets back, Mez is back to the press box.  I also liked the Voracek goal.  More evidence that they need to keep the forecheck going when they establish a 3rd period lead.  This trip is something to build on.  

The definitely ratcheted up the compete level and their play positionally has been much better.  Mason looks like he is regaining his form from the start of the year.  Giroux has been outstanding.  Dare I say that Luke Schenn has played well since being paired with Gus.  I think when Timonen gets back, Mez is back to the press box.  I also liked the Voracek goal.  More evidence that they need to keep the forecheck going when they establish a 3rd period lead.  This trip is something to build on.  

since you brought up timonen, i think we should use him sparingly when he gets healthy.

he's my favorite flyer, but it is painfully obvious how slow he's gotten; his heart won't allow him to quit, though. a warrior.

• Like 1

@caluso

I agree with your assessment of Timonen.  I've noticed a lot of stick penalties (tripping, hooking) this year because he has lost that step.  I'm perfectly ok with moving on from Timonen if he can't be resigned for 1/2 or less than his current contract and accept taking a lesser role to mentor a youngster like a Lauridsen, Alt, Manning, etc.

Flyers are showing some jam on this very tough road trip. Like Drew said, something to build on here. Nice to see Mason step up his play after some less than stellar outings following the contract signing. Missed the first period and some of the second, but what I did get to see left me impressed. Very refreshing to see them not fall into the defensive shell game after the early 3rd goal outburst. They kept forechecking and never took the foot off the gas pedal. A well deserved win, is team finally turning the corner and becoming legit contenders?

Flyers are showing some jam on this very tough road trip. Like Drew said, something to build on here. Nice to see Mason step up his play after some less than stellar outings following the contract signing. Missed the first period and some of the second, but what I did get to see left me impressed. Very refreshing to see them not fall into the defensive shell game after the early 3rd goal outburst. They kept forechecking and never took the foot off the gas pedal. A well deserved win, is team finally turning the corner and becoming legit contenders?

Yeah it is great to see them play well in a tight game and then step on the throat. That hardly happens with this team. Two solid road wins against elite teams.

• Like 1

since you brought up timonen, i think we should use him sparingly when he gets healthy.

Agreed! The Flyers have only given up two goals in the past two games. Let Kimmo rest in the pressbox for a while and chat with Homer and Snider about what front office positions will be available for him next year.

• Like 1

Gus is obviously having a good impact. Makes me wonder what took so long for him to get out off the press box

I don't understand why he was in the press box to begin with.  This is why the Flyers always look for answers outside the organization at D.    They don't allow their D men to develop properly.   Did Gus look a little tentative and get off to a rough start?  Sure.   But who didn't on D?   To me this is the year they really need to give him a look so they can honestly evaluate if he is going to be in the fold going forward. 

• Like 1

Yes is there a correlation between Kimmo being out and a more mobile Gus and Mez in.  Personally I think I saw a few plays on the PP where Streit was able to make a move, keep the puck in, etc. where I think Kimmo would have been a step too slow and the play would have come out of the zone.  IMHO I think Kimmo can "rest" until the Olympic break.  I'd love for him to regain his old form but as is well discussed here time and all those nagging injuries which he has played through have caught up to him.

I am not sold on the D yet but I do have to wonder how much of the recent play has been as a result of faster foot speed. 

• Like 1

Greetings:

I am not as educated a consumer as most here but I think Gus needs a guy like Schenn to make up for his lack of size. But Gus has speed and puck sense. So maybe they are a good pairing!

Long term, I see one of two things..maybe three, for Kimmo.  First is that it is the end of the road.  Second, we resign him for a finale at far lower than his current salary to serve as third-liner and parent figure until we do have him on the coaching staff (Like Lappy...agreed, he is a warrior) or Lastly, he is traded as a rental to a contender. But his injury status may minimize that chance. In any event, I would rather see the youngins get time.  

Best,

Howie

i have been really impressed with the competitiveness of the team these last three games. if we could sustain that...

and, our gap control has been fantastic. i hate to oversimplify things, but when we aren't impersonating the keystone kops in our own zone, we are pretty good.

Yes they looked better more organized and Gus with Schenn has turned Luke's game around.

He plays so much better with Gus some good chemistry there brewing. Now with that said two thinhs have yet to change and just may never and we'll just have to deal with it for the time being.

1-Schenn is still slow and will get beat in a foot race.

2- He is still prone to take himself out of position to land the big hit. I noticed Gus recognized this last night and covered for him a couple times which is nice to see. I wish he wouldn't do it but he is trying to bring somephysical presence to the blueline.

So i thought they played well last night.

Coby and Gross were shaky at times because of Grossmann but on the 2 goal i noticed Coburn was all the way on the other side of the ice abandoning his side. So i think that is on Coby.

Edit:  Defenseman Braydon Coburn unwisely drifted way over to the boards on partner Nicklas Grossmann's side, abandoning the right side of the ice. Claude Giroux lost a battle on boards. Grossmann saw the overload on his side but became more concerned with positioning himself to cut off Joe Thornton from potentially coming out from behind the goal line on his side than with where the play -- and puck -- was actually moving.   http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Flyers-Consume-Sharks/45/57731

Mezz and Streit scare the hell out of me. There game plan is just-chase-someone-around-the defensive-zone-yet-never-hit-anyone is annoying as hell they both just get lost in their own end. And Streit still gets caught pinching both times i seen last night thank God a forward seen this and covered for him.

Other than that i just want the to continue to grow. Thank you Mase for once again giving this team a chance.

Also i look forward to Downie and Mezz being traded off this team....they bring nothing really and Downie skates with zero passion don't know what is bugging him but am tired of it and it is time to move on.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Do you guys think Gus is a direct result of the better play?

I do without a doubt he is skating with confidence and has looked great with Luke. He is one of the few that can actually skate the puck out the zone. Steit is suppose to but at center ice he panics sometimes and just fires it up center ice into a forwards feet many times just resulting in a turnover.

And Streit gets caught in bad pinches that wasn't suppose to happen due to all the coin he banks but still a bonehead at times.

Gus and Coby are the best two Dmen on this team with no Kimmo.

As much as I appreciate the effort they still are out of the playoffs.  This team goes on a streak here and there and then they fall back to medicority and I expect nothing else.   Queue another Boston or Washington like game in the future.   Not trying to be negative but there is certainly a pattern that proces this throughout this year and last. 

Streaks are nice but they wont get you into the playoffs...

• Like 1

Hell if someone would of told me after the Bruins loss that they would of gone 3-1 against the past four teams the Flyers have played I would of though you were crazy.... Guys I am not going to watch the games any more it seems like every game I miss they beat the piss out of someone...I missed the Detroit game and the Sharks game and looked what happens....... All these years of not winning the cup......all my fault.....Guys we could kill the book makers now just bet the Flyers and I wont watch the game BIG MONEY BABY!!!

• Like 1

Hell if someone would of told me after the Bruins loss that they would of gone 3-1 against the past four teams the Flyers have played I would of though you were crazy

Funny that is the game Gus was inserted back into the lineup and despite the team getting blasted Gus played over 20 went even and Schenn had a solid game too first in a long time also going even and looked ok doing it.

It was a bad game but the beginning of something turning around maybe. We'll see hell any goods news is good to read...especially involving the defensemen.

As much as I appreciate the effort they still are out of the playoffs.  This team goes on a streak here and there and then they fall back to medicority and I expect nothing else.   Queue another Boston or Washington like game in the future.   Not trying to be negative but there is certainly a pattern that proces this throughout this year and last. 

Streaks are nice but they wont get you into the playoffs...

While I agree it is best to take this road trip success with extreme cautious optimism, there is a little bit of a difference between these last two games and the games they won on their streak.   The level of competition was stiffer and they played well for just about 60 minutes each game.   There were stretches during the streak they didn't look well at all.   I think back to the comeback against Columbus at home.   If they play the rest of the season more like they did against LA and SJ, they will likely make the playoffs.   If they play like they did during the 4 game losing streak they are out.   If they play somewhere in between then they won't control their own destiny and will need help from other teams. 

Funny that is the game Gus was inserted back into the lineup and despite the team getting blasted Gus played over 20 went even and Schenn had a solid game too first in a long time also going even and looked ok doing it.

I just looked over the game summaries on the Flyers website. Since Gus has returned (starting with that Boston game) and been paired with Schenn the Flyers haven't given up a goal when those two were on the ice. Unless I missed something.

they will likely make the playoffs

Agreed...  but if anything has been proven this season is they are not consistent.  They played very good hockey out west but still are out of a playoff spot if I am correct.  The final stretch of games is not easy but they could slip into the playoffs.  It all depends on what Homer and crewdecide at the deadline as wll.