Tavares to miss the rest of the season

brelic

Can you imagine if that were Giroux or Voracek? Man, I would be livid.

No more Olympic participation, please.

Can you honestly say that the hockey has been better than the NHL? I really don't think it has. It's very boring hockey with very little emotion and passion.

• Like 1

From TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444273

New York Islanders forward John Tavares will miss the remainder of the 2013/14 season with the knee injury that he suffered during the Sochi Olympic Games. The injury is to the medial collateral ligament and he also suffered meniscus damage.

The injury could require surgery but a decision will not be made until after Tavares has been examined by Islanders doctors upon returning to the team.

Tavares was injured in Canada's quarter-final victory over Latvia on Wednesday.

The New York Islanders captain was taken into the boards by Arturs Kulda in the second period.

No more Olympic participation, please.

Can you honestly say that the hockey has been better than the NHL? I really don't think it has. It's very boring hockey with very little emotion and passion.

I heard this morning that the ratings for the Olympics is down this year except for the hockey. Those ratings will probably drop a whole lot more in 4 years without the NHL in S. Korea.  

However, I doubt the IOC has much influence to keeping the NHL players in it. I think it ultimately comes down to the players union and the NHL owners.  

I heard this morning that the ratings for the Olympics is down this year except for the hockey. Those ratings will probably drop a whole lot more in 4 years without the NHL in S. Korea.  

However, I doubt the IOC has much influence to keeping the NHL players in it. I think it ultimately comes down to the players union and the NHL owners.

I wonder how Snider feels about the Olympics ;)

@ruxpin  This is a deadly blow. My offense was average to slightly above average. What was once a position of strength, is now a total weakness, should have never made the Stall trade. Of course, I thought I was going forward with Tavares and Toews......just horrible!!

@hf101

I wonder how NHL ratings would go if the games were at 730 am and noon?

I don't even like games at 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

When I was living in Vancouver, it drove me nuts that the Flyers games were on at 4pm. I missed just about every game, catching part of 1st at work, and then maybe, *maybe*, make it home in time for the tail end of the 3rd.

But HF is saying that the ratings for hockey are up (or at least not down from last time).

@ruxpin  This is a deadly blow. My offense was average to slightly above average. What was once a position of strength, is now a total weakness, should have never made the Stall trade. Of course, I thought I was going forward with Tavares and Toews......just horrible!!

Yeah, going forward you'll have a difficult time, but against me you still have 3 players with better seasons than my top point producer.  So, you may not see the offensive consequences until AFTER playing me.

@brelic  @flyercanuck

Here is the link to the Forbes article.  I didn't read the article prior to my post above. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2014/02/18/can-u-s-hockey-win-a-face-off-against-poor-winter-olympics-ratings/

I do think the timing of the games has a lot to do with the ratings.  The USA vs Russia game was a Sat morning at 7:30 AM.

THIS.

This is what I have a problem with NHL players in the Olympics.

Zetterberg has been battling his injury all season and would have been better off to rest the entire break, now whispers in print have him missing considerable time, possibly the rest of the season (And jammer I have him in BOTH leagues, lol) and Zuccarello broke a bone in his hand.

I understand wanting to represent your country but the Isles are still on the hook for Tavares contract. I doubt seriously the IOC is going to write the Isles a check.

One has to think the value for Vanek decreased some now with Tavares injury.  

Another point of interest is the first round pick traded to the Sabres for Vanek.   That pick selection was protected as New York can defer to the 2015 draft if they pick in the top 10 this summer.

If the NHL players didn't participate in the Olympics, there wouldn't be any break for Zetterburg to rest in.

Just saying is all

Always gotta be one to point out the fallacies in my points, :blink:

It would have been nice if Z had taken the break off to rest up is all. Someone pointed out that he is an NHLer for a short time but a swede forever, but the NHL pays his salary. Garth Snow said basically the same thing today, which actually puts me on the same side as Garth Snow in an argument and makes me feel really, really icky.

Snow is furious!

#Isles GM Garth Snow spitting mad over Tavares' Olympic injury: "Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?"

4:45 PM - 20 Feb 2014

More Snow: "It's a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don't want to pay when our best player gets hurt."

Snow: "It wouldn't matter if we were 10 points up on a playoff spot or 10 points out. We lost our best player and he wasn't playing for us."

Snow is furious!

#Isles GM Garth Snow spitting mad over Tavares' Olympic injury: "Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?"

4:45 PM - 20 Feb 2014

More Snow: "It's a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don't want to pay when our best player gets hurt."

Snow: "It wouldn't matter if we were 10 points up on a playoff spot or 10 points out. We lost our best player and he wasn't playing for us."

Um, note to Mr.Snow, is that not what insurance is for?