St Louis trade request confirmed

mng815

Just the thought of that is SCARY. If he is up for trade, how could Shero *not* look into this...what a lethal combo that would be!!!

With the injuries I think it fits under the cap for this season but next season would require a little footwork. Plus what would Yzerman want is the question. I know we're being talked about as a possible destination, but so are the Ranger and your Flyers.

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922  I can see the Pens as a possible destination for MSL, it makes *perfect* sense, but the Flyers, that would be a monumental blunder....we are not just one elite forward away....I can see Homer pulling the trigger on this one....giving away more assets for older players that will not win us the cup, yep...seems like a Homer move to me!!

I don't have a clue as to what Steve Y. currently looks like. I was just making an obfuscated reference/joke to the brindamour/lindros supposed rift. I was trying to be ruxpinian....if that could even be considered a term.

Haha, and I was just making a Seinfeld reference. Remember when Jerry pulls that line on Uncle Leo?

Might go along with the Callahan to Tampa thinking...

Yep that was all in a rumor that went viral on Sunday.  Apparently Sather turned down the deal.  Not sure if there is something else that can be played here.  Sather has to make room for some caproom to acquire MSL.  Who knows but maybe part of Sather's reasoning not to trade for MSL is the possibility of buying out Richards' contract next summer. 

Yep that was all in a rumor that went viral on Sunday.  Apparently Sather turned down the deal.  Not sure if there is something else that can be played here.  Sather has to make room for some caproom to acquire MSL.  Who knows but maybe part of Sather's reasoning not to trade for MSL is the possibility of buying out Richards' contract next summer.

Maybe. Or by knowing that MSL wants only the Rangers, Sather can up his price by refusing initial offers and playing aloof.

Waiting to hear Homer make Tampa a offer! Ed Snider, "Paul if you get St. Louieeeee, it may get Vinny on track. They had good chemistry down there in Florida. Tell Yzerman everyone is in play except for Gill because I don't want to loose his leadship in the lockerroom."

• Like 1

MSL must be really peeved with Stevie Y.

The Lightning are in second place in their division with a fairly secure playoff spot (third overall with at least a game in hand over the next four teams) and Stamkos coming back.

MSL has another year left on his deal and is captaining the squad.

And he still wants out?

Seems odd to me if there isn't something more there.

The only thing I've seen as "confirmation" is that MSL has acknowledged he spoke with Yzerman about his future with the team.

Is that what it is? I said on the winners/losers thread I just didn't get that trade. The team is good, he's been a staple in that organization for years, why would you trade him? It makes sense when you hear he wanted out, but why did he want to leave?

@fanaticV3.0

I always thought MSL was a "suck it up" type of guy who wouldn't let that come between him and his team. But apparently not.

I really think there has to be more than just the supposed "snub" at the Olympics.

There could easily be a greater difference in the corporate culture at Tampa under Yzerman.

Might the VLC buyout have played a role? 

I gotta believe there are more shoes to drop here.

@radoran

I won't argue that rad cause I really don't know. And I respect that he's one of your favourites.

Could be a case of the Olympic thing being a straw breaking the back, if you know what I mean,.

As you note, I am more inclined to extend a larger benefit of the doubt. :D

always thought MSL was a "suck it up" type of guy

Me too.  I think Radoran is right.   Smells like one "issue" too many.  St. Louis is a semi-regular at Cairns in Burlington summertime.  He always acts with graciousness and class.

@radoran

So a buddy of mine who's pretty knowledgeable about hockey (he DID play junior after all ;) ) says St. Louis has wanted out of Tampa for a couple of years but they refused to deal him. Apparently his family is in Connecticut? I don't know this, just what i was told. Kind of makes more sense with the olympic thing being the last straw.

@flyercanuck  Just watching the pre game, Marty stated his son is going to be on a travel team, he's 10 and Greenwich makes that easier for the family. Nice that Marty thinks about what is best for the kid....if no one watched out for Marty's career, this thread would not exist.

Marty officially returned to classy status....and I'll just go ahead and admit I was wrong.....Rick...you reading this??

I leave him I the whiny B&€#% status. His team had a legitimate shot this year, and he betrayed his teammates over the Olympics snub. He could've sucked it up till the off season then given his team a chance to make a good deal after trying their chances in the playoffs. Credit to Yzerman for still getting a good bit from the Rangers, but shame on St.Louis.

@Polaris922  I give him slack if it's true he wanted to continue his young 10 year old access to a travel team. Those are tough calls a parent has to make, do I put my team, or my flesh and blood first. Usually, the flesh and blood will win out. I'm not gonna judge him for doing the best thing for his kids career. Hopefully we reap the rewards of this decision in 8 or 9 years and get to see Marty 2.0 for a few decades.

@flyercanuck  Just watching the pre game, Marty stated his son is going to be on a travel team, he's 10 and Greenwich makes that easier for the family. Nice that Marty thinks about what is best for the kid....if no one watched out for Marty's career, this thread would not exist.

Marty officially returned to classy status....and I'll just go ahead and admit I was wrong.....Rick...you reading this??

Sorry, but your 10 year old does not dictate where you play.(Neither should your wife if you have any balls)  And you don't walk out on your team. I was just saying it may have been the straw that broke the camels back...but he should have played out the season for his teammates and more importantly, his fans (the ones who pay for him to live the lifestyle he does)

Sorry, but your 10 year old does not dictate where you play.(Neither should your wife if you have any balls)  And you don't walk out on your team. I was just saying it may have been the straw that broke the camels back...but he should have played out the season for his teammates and more importantly, his fans (the ones who pay for him to live the lifestyle he does)

This.  Lots of NHL players have to miss their kids' youth hockey games or piano recitals or other family events.  It's a sacrifice they make when they decide to play in the NHL.  That's a more than acceptable reason to decide to play elsewhere where your contract is up  It's not at all acceptable to use it as an excuse (to cover the real reason) that you requested a trade from a team in the midst of a playoff chase.