Timmo sitting out.

King Knut

Jet lag does suck but the fact is we need points down this stretch and there are few easy games. I could see it if we were not so far into the the season but it is a sprint to the end of the season... Not a marathon.

You need your best dman in the lineup... More so against elite teams.

As for the "rapid travel" angle...

Finland played the USA last Saturday.

The Flyers played Thursday night.

That's four full days in between.

The Flyers played their last game on February 8.

Team Finland played their first game in Sochi on February 13.

Apparently four days was more than enough time to acclimate to play in the Olympics...

Apparently four days was more than enough time to acclimate to play in the Olympics...

Yeas all of that on top of the fact this is suppose to be his last shot at it all those two points they lost last night are worth the same amount of points that last game will be worth, hope they don't look back at this game and say what if....

Edited by OccamsRazor

I'm not at all questioning that.

There are also "actual, physiological problems" associated with "celebrat[ing] for a couple days" - let's put it that way. That's Timonen's direct quote, btw.

Maybe a little less "celebrating" is in order when you have a commitment to an organization that is paying you six million dollars to be prepared to perform in a tight playoff race with 23 games left in the season and you know there are "actual, physiological problems associated with rapid travel across multiple time zones."

Again, I am a huge Timonen fan (wear #44), love Finland, was happy as heck they got a medal.

But he's got a job to do.

Yeah but you know what? I've had the pleasure of experience both. Killer hangover and killer jet lag. The hangover makes you feel crappier, but you get over it in a day. The jet lag, not so much.

Yeah but you know what? I've had the pleasure of experience both. Killer hangover and killer jet lag. The hangover makes you feel crappier, but you get over it in a day. The jet lag, not so much.

I've had the experience of both, too. But I've been at work, doing my job, for a lot less than six million dollars and I didn't have the luxury of four days off in between.

He managed to play Finland's entire first round game against Austria in the exact same situation - with the caveat that he wasn't "celebrating for a couple days" before getting to Sochi, though.

Play Saturday. Celebrate Saturday night. Celebrate Sunday, if you want. Get on the plane Monday, rest up Tuesday Wednesday, play Thursday.

That said, Kimmo Timonen likely wouldn't have made the difference last night against the Sharks as the rest of the team looked like they were dealing with jet lag (or a hangover) as well...

I've had the experience of both, too. But I've been at work, doing my job, for a lot less than six million dollars and I didn't have the luxury of four days off in between.

We're all different. When I came back I took a few days off. Because like I said, I was useless. Wouldn't look too good to be falling asleep on my keyboard. Also, in today's paper it says he's nursing a foot injury, so there's that.

Seriously, if there's one guy on the Flyers whose professionalism and willingness to play through "whatever" is beyond question, it's Timonen.

We're all different. When I came back I took a few days off. Because like I said, I was useless. Wouldn't look too good to be falling asleep on my keyboard. Also, in today's paper it says he's nursing a foot injury, so there's that.

Seriously, if there's one guy on the Flyers whose professionalism and willingness to play through "whatever" is beyond question, it's Timonen.

That is, perhaps, the deep root of my disappointment.

Man's got a job, man has to man up and be ready to play.

That's why he gets six million dollars.

Needed a couple of days? The couple of days were there to be had. He didn't take them. He took off the game instead.

Completely understand about the foot thing. That wasn't brought up until after the fact. The "celebrating" and the upcoming three "intradivisional games" were the "reasons" offered.

That is, perhaps, the deep root of my disappointment.

Man's got a job, man has to man up and be ready to play.

That's why he gets six million dollars.

Needed a couple of days? The couple of days were there to be had. He didn't take them. He took off the game instead.

Completely understand about the foot thing. That wasn't brought up until after the fact. The "celebrating" and the upcoming three "intradivisional games" were the "reasons" offered.

Eh, just can't find the outrage. ymmv...

• Like 2

Eh, just can't find the outrage. ymmv...

Nor can I. We have paid and unpaid leave, who knows what's available to players, and what he really did. This speculation looks a little like a witch hunt. Let him enjoy his swan song, and let the organization keep it classy.

Nor can I. We have paid and unpaid leave, who knows what's available to players, and what he really did. This speculation looks a little like a witch hunt. Let him enjoy his swan song, and let the organization keep it classy.

My reaction is obviously colored by my admiration of the player and my fandom of Team Finland. I am not so much "outraged" as "disappointed" - although I concede that my initial reaction was somewhat volcanic :D

I am not familiar with NHL players getting "paid leave" from regular season games, but I concede it might be a thing(?). But we do have direct quotes from the player and we know the actual timeline of events and we do know that there were strict guidelines about how many days after the Games that players had to recover.

If it was Ilya Bryzgalov - or, say, Alex Ovechkin - in the same situation, I have to believe a lot of people might have something of a different opinion.

I concede also that it is difficult to imagine Bryz or AO in that situation as it would involve their team(s) actually winning something.

That is my point Rad... I am not outraged but I think it is a big dissapointment.   I love Kimmo but they are in a dog fight to get into the playoffs.  We need him in the lineup - that is all I am saying. 

If this were Giroux people would be freaking out...   Simpy stated:  The Flyers are a better Team w/ 44 in the lineup and they dont have the luxury of their best dman being out of the lineup. 

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

I just think Kimo has earned a little benefit of doubt, and has the right to personal satisfaction. A medal is a big deal for him, let him soak it in a little more.

Not only the medal, but kind of an end to a great era of Finnish hockey. Timonen, Selanne, Salo, probably Jokinen... those guys have won a bunch of medals for Finland and this was probably their swan song.

I guess our friends up north should take a day off too...

For lack of a better term: "this"

Who else should have taken off a game for "personal satisfaction"?

This isn't a matter of cherry picking stories about individual players. Timonen was the only Finnish position player who didn't play in his first game back in the NHL.

Mikael Granlund was playing for Minnesota last night and scored the game's first goal.

Kari Lehtonen played for Dallas and posted a 4-1 win.

Olli Maata had two points and Jussi Jokinen had one for Pittsburgh.

Sami "The Human Injury Machine" Salo played 15 minutes for Tampa.

Olli Jokinen had the shootout winner for Winnipeg.

Lauri Korpikoski played for Phoenix in that Winnipeg game.

Tuomo Ruutu played for Carolina on Tuesday

The Ducks (Selanne/Vaatanen) don't play until tonight.

Niemi and Rask had the night off first game back. Barkov was out with an injury.

As a huge fan of Kimmo Timonen, I understand the desire to have his back. However, the player himself didn't mention his foot when talking about why he was sitting out. He did miss two games earlier in February with the foot ailment, however. And he did manage to play regular minutes in every game wearing Suomi,

Not to "overblow" the "partying" aspect, but he did mention the "celebrations".

• Like 1

This isn't a matter of cherry picking stories about individual players. Timonen was the only Finnish position player who didn't play in his first game back in the NHL.

Mikael Granlund was playing for Minnesota last night and scored the game's first goal.

Niemi and Rask had the night off first game back. Barkov was out with an injury.

As a huge fan of Kimmo Timonen, I understand the desire to have his back. However, the player himself didn't mention his foot when talking about why he was sitting out. He did miss two games earlier in February with the foot ailment, however. And he did manage to play regular minutes in every game wearing Suomi,

Could not have said it better Rad - 100% dead on IMO

Spot on my friend......

Jetlag is an excuse for the weak.   I don't see Timonen, even at his age, as weak since he's still in the NHL skating day in day out.  These guys have excellent conditioning.  Jetlag isn't an issue for anyone with half a testicle.  

Alcohol poisoning however...  will do it every time!   I'm sure he celebrated with the best of them, since it's most likely his last olympics.  And honestly, good for him.  So what if he misses a game over it.  At his age the rest will do him good and he'll play better for a few games for your squad as a result of it.  Congrats to him.  

Jetlag is an excuse for the weak. I don't see Timonen, even at his age, as weak since he's still in the NHL skating day in day out. These guys have excellent conditioning. Jetlag isn't an issue for anyone with half a testicle.

Alcohol poisoning however... will do it every time! I'm sure he celebrated with the best of them, since it's most likely his last olympics. And honestly, good for him. So what if he misses a game over it. At his age the rest will do him good and he'll play better for a few games for your squad as a result of it. Congrats to him.

Man, I must be wrong...I agree with YOU of all people :ph34r:

Come on, he's an old guy who has given heart soul and blood for this team. His paycheck doesnt make him recover any quicker. If a class act guy like Kimmo says he can't play, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Like has already been said, he could be injured. MAYBE he's being shopped to a contender? Hmmm.....

Come on, he's an old guy who has given heart soul and blood for this team. His paycheck doesnt make him recover any quicker. If a class act guy like Kimmo says he can't play, I give him the benefit of the doubt. Like has already been said, he could be injured. MAYBE he's being shopped to a contender? Hmmm.....