Flyers have traded for Andy MacDonald

JackStraw

We can now be certain that there is a framed sign in Homer's office of The Rules: "1. You can never have too many centers. 2. You can never sign too many over the hill vets. 3. You can never have too many 7-8 defensemen in your press box."

• Like 1

Horrible ...

He will fit in w/ our defense as he is a trunover machine.   Way too much for him...

I don't think it's horrible but I'm not sure what the point of it is unless someone, say Meszaros, is getting traded. Don't really like giving up yet another 2nd rounder but Homer will be Homer...

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/440961464627511297

Meltzer says he has good mobility in addition to blocking a lot of shots. Says he was asked to do too much for NYI.

We'll see. I think he could help if he's used well. Otoh, he's a UFA after this season and people are saying he wants 5 yrs at $5 million which I would pass on.

We can now be certain that there is a framed sign in Homer's office of The Rules: "1. You can never have too many centers. 2. You can never sign too many over the hill vets. 3. You can never have too many 7-8 defensemen in your press box."

You forgot "Never keep 2nd and 3rd round draft picks".

• Like 1

I think this means one of our regulars is in talks. Meszaros-courier would be most likely but I have a feeling teams are calling for Timo too

Darren Dreger tweeted that there was interest in Timonen but that he wants to stay in Philly. I think Bruins might be interested in Meszaros as a rental replacement for Seidenberg. The Chara connection works.

This is about as brilliant as bringing in another center - don't we have enough mediocre defencemen?

Dreger also reported that the asking price for Mesz is a 2nd. If Homer can swing that I'm down with it. If he can trade Grossman while he's at it, I might even smile a bit.

This is about as brilliant as bringing in another center - don't we have enough mediocre defencemen?

Opinion on the guy before the trade hide all sharp objects while reading...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/2/28/5457144/philadelphia-flyers-trade-rumors-andrew-macdonald-defense-2014

He's 28, was a top 4 guy...

I don't know if I get the Kvetching from the faithful here ?

I saw him play pretty well vs the Pens until he got dinged up, what am I missing ?

I don't want to hear about mortgaging the future either because 3rd round draft picks Klotz and Ghouloborne will come and kick your asses.

We got a guy that can skate, make a pass, run the powerplay ... i mean what the **** guys ?

I saw him play pretty well vs the Pens until he got dinged up, what am I missing ?

I don't want to hear about mortgaging the future either because 3rd round draft picks Klotz and Ghouloborne will come and kick your asses.

We got a guy that can skate, make a pass, run the powerplay ... i mean what the **** guys ?

Depends on what happens next, for me, really.

Guy is a pending UFA. He's turned down four years, $16M before.

If the Flyers gave up a "player" a 2nd and a 3rd for a 20-game rental, I'm thinking the price was too high.

If the Flyers then sign him to a 5-year, $21M deal then the Flyers' top pairing next season is... the Islanders' top pairing last year.

@mojo1917 - I don't know about running the pp but otherwise I pretty much agree. Basically I'm in wait-and-see mode. It would make sense for Homer to now trade one or both of Mesz/Grossman. If he can get a 2nd for Mesz and a 3rd for Grossman, I'd actually be pretty happy. We could have a defense of:

Coburn/Timonen

Streit/MacDonald

Gus/Schenn

That's a more mobile defense than we have right now (with Gus in the press box). You shed Grossman's salary and although he seems like a good guy I think he has to go. He's just painfully slow.

Depends on what happens next, for me, really.

Guy is a pending UFA. He's turned down four years, $16M before.

If the Flyers gave up a "player" a 2nd and a 3rd for a 20-game rental, I'm thinking the price was too high.

If the Flyers then sign him to a 5-year, $21M deal then the Flyers' top pairing next season is... the Islanders' top pairing last year.

Agree with most of that but I don't see MacDonald on the Flyers top pair next year (if they do sign him). Assuming Timonen retires then, well Streit/Coburn probably makes the most sense.

Bottom line is that the Flyers really need to re-shape their defense, and it's not likely to happen overnight. If they make some moves now that start them down that path then I'm ok with it.

Edited by JackStraw

Well, for starters, he's not very good in his own end....hockey futures blurb on him...

"MacDonald has above average offensive skills for a blue liner, and a talent for creating quick offensive rushes. It is his ability to make tape-to-tape, up-ice passes and set up for quick shots off the point that make him, if not a true defenseman, a talented offensive-defenseman. He will need to work on his positioning in the defensive zone. Once along the boards, MacDonald is easy to get by. He is all too eager to go in the offensive zone and will need to better discipline himself at sticking to the duties of his position."

I'm not thrilled, basically an younger version of Streit....a mediocre d-man who is decent at running the pp and that is about it. Another defensive liability.....great, just what the doctor ordered....I believe he turns 28 in Septemeber.

@JackStraw

i agree that one of Schenn and Grossmann is plenty so if Homer can flip Grossman for a 3rd then it's a win.  

I wish I knew what to do with Mez because there are plenty of times recently where he looks really good, like his confidence is coming back, he's not afraid his body is going to break and he's actually playing hockey. He's a nice player when he's able to be himself on the ice.

I don't think he's in the long term plans though Hahaha I said long term plan  :ph34r: .  so a second or a buried prospect for help now maybe Boston ? would be a nice return.