Upcoming Schedule Scares Me to Death

Just took a look at the schedule for the rest of the season.  It scared the bejeezus out of me.  Not good.  Pittsburgh back to back, followed by St. Louis a couple of times, Dallas, multiple games against Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Toronto, the Rangers.  Thankfully we have Buffalo on April 6 and Florida on April 8, but even then, you never know.

The pessimistic Flyers fan that I am can see the possibility of losing the next 14 out of 17 games.

Just took a look at the schedule for the rest of the season.  It scared the bejeezus out of me.  Not good.  Pittsburgh back to back, followed by St. Louis a couple of times, Dallas, multiple games against Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Toronto, the Rangers.  Thankfully we have Buffalo on April 6 and Florida on April 8, but even then, you never know.

The pessimistic Flyers fan that I am can see the possibility of losing the next 14 out of 17 games.

Yes it is scary but there is a silver lining...

....if they make it through this gauntlet...

...and get in the playoffs...

...everyone will have to say they earned it.

And can say they are battle tested!!!!!!!!!! 

On paper they have pretty solid roster.

But it ain't won on paper they just have to do one thing, if they play as a team.

Ok maybe two....

.....if they can be consistent.

Some luck heath wise is always appreciated.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

What I am scared of is Homer's reaction to losing...

I'm not i feel if they make the playoff or maybe even don't make it out the first round you'll see a Bobby Clarke like step down with Holmgren...and in comes Ron!!!!!

@OccamsRazor  That would seem to be the org's preference.....the ol' step down, I'm battered and beat by this job, save some face kinda thing. The writing was on the wall once Hex signed here, this moment would be inevitable....I just hope it's sooner rather than later. At least Hex earned his stripes elsewhere, and is not a green rookie or anything like that...notice...another former great slips in above ALL the other candidates. How awkward must it be for Homer to deal with Hex right now, knowing he will replace him eventually??? LOL!!

They have it in them to play well and have been playing well for 3 and a half months, we'll see what we've got going on here, the Penguins are not infallible. There isn't anyone in the league they cannot beat on any given night, extrapolate that out to a playoff series and still there aren't any teams outside of Boston , PGH and Columbus that I sweat.   The Flyers went out west recently and kicked ass, if they are able to replicate that level of play they will be fine.  They haven't played poorly in the last two losses either, the Devils game could have gone either way  and I thought they played an entertaining and evenly matched game in Toronto last Saturday, they could have won both games but for a couple of breaks,   that stuff tends to even out.  

I'm not i feel if they make the playoff or maybe even don't make it out the first round you'll see a Bobby Clarke like step down with Holmgren...and in comes Ron!!!!!

My hunch is that this will happen regardless. I think Homer steps down after this year. Just a hunch.

That would seem to be the org's preference.....the ol' step down, I'm battered and beat by this job, save some face kinda thing. The writing was on the wall once Hex signed here, this moment would be inevitable....I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Can't blame Snider he was hedging his bet....plus asking another opinion who knows the vision. Gulp.

At least Hex earned his stripes elsewhere, and is not a green rookie or anything like that...notice...another former great slips in above ALL the other candidates.

People keep saying this but really did he??? I mean Homer traded most of his picks.

But most forget about Hexy's bombs Thomas Hickey and Colten Tuebert yet only remember the hits. Or it seems that way.

@OccamsRazor  That would seem to be the org's preference.....the ol' step down, I'm battered and beat by this job, save some face kinda thing. The writing was on the wall once Hex signed here, this moment would be inevitable....I just hope it's sooner rather than later. At least Hex earned his stripes elsewhere, and is not a green rookie or anything like that...notice...another former great slips in above ALL the other candidates. How awkward must it be for Homer to deal with Hex right now, knowing he will replace him eventually??? LOL!!

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be Homer's choice. This will be his eighth year as GM, that's a pretty good run. He may very well be ready to move on to something less stressful. Maybe he stays with the Flyers in the scouting department somewhere.

But most forget about Hexy's bombs Thomas Hickey and Colten Tuebert yet only remember the hits. Or it seems that way.

Everyone did a "WHO DID THEY JUST DRAFT" head spin when Hickey's name was announced. It was a full round to early...but hopefully he learns from this move, among others. At least we are not getting a total rookie, he has made mistakes elsewhere and now can look back, reflect and avoid....all to the Flyers advantage.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be Homer's choice. This will be his eighth year as GM, that's a pretty good run. He may very well be ready to move on to something less stressful. Maybe he stays with the Flyers in the scouting department somewhere.

No better way for Hexy to step into the GM limelight than having his first draft in Philly!

My hunch is that this will happen regardless. I think Homer steps down after this year. Just a hunch.

I hope so.  I made it known on this board that Homer is far from being one of my favorites.  And that's putting it gently. 

But people seem to be overlooking the bigger problem.  Whether it's Clarke, Homer or Hexy, this is "Snider's team".  That's what is troublesome.  Snider's philosophy will continue hurting the team, no matter who the GM is, until Snider himslef either steps down, sells the team, or passes away.

Edited by Mad Dog

I'm just curious... Has Hextall been successful as the guy in charge yet at any level? Assistant GM is just learning the business side of things, not really making decisions. It's a fancy word for squire. But you guys sound so hopeful...

Is it because of what he's done? Or is this a "can't be any worse" scenario in your eyes??

@Polaris922  He went from being a pro scout to Asst. GM in LA....and is now director of hockey operations for the Flyers. No real GM experience, but he got to watch one of the best, Dean Lombardi do his stuff for a few years, so hopefully some of that rubbed off.

@Polaris922 He went from being a pro scout to Asst. GM in LA....and is now director of hockey operations for the Flyers. No real GM experience, but he got to watch one of the best, Dean Lombardi do his stuff for a few years, so hopefully some of that rubbed off.

That was all I could find and was wondering if I was missing something. Thanks bud! Just hope I suppose and that's not a bad thing.

That was all I could find and was wondering if I was missing something. Thanks bud! Just hope I suppose and that's not a bad thing.

Hope is pretty much it... at least for me.  I can no longer take watching Homer destroy this team.

But again, my concern is that as long as Snider is at the helm, it won't matter. 

Hope is pretty much it... at least for me.  I can no longer take watching Homer destroy this team.

But again, my concern is that as long as Snider is at the helm, it won't matter. 

I'll never not be a Flyers fan, but a few more trades of youth for vets, a few more wasted seasons of watching "Mr. No-plan" in action will make me tune out, I really don't know how much more of this I can take MD. Congrats on beating me last week, you had the better team for that week anyways. Hopefully, we can meet in the playoffs and I'll pay you back!

I'll never not be a Flyers fan, but a few more trades of youth for vets, a few more wasted seasons of watching "Mr. No-plan" in action will make me tune out, I really don't know how much more of this I can take MD. Congrats on beating me last week, you had the better team for that week anyways. Hopefully, we can meet in the playoffs and I'll pay you back!

Yep.  I will never support another team with a passion and loyalty I support the Flyers, no matter what the circumstances are.  But arrogance of this franchise, combined with just plain incompetence and stupidity, make me want to vomit, quite frankly.  What was the point of such signings as Emminger, Gervais, Hal Gill, Jody Shelley for 3 years (still can't get over that signing)?  This is ridiculous. What was the point of not giving Jagr (who, by teh way is still scoring) just one-year contract?

Good luck in the playoffs, Jammer!  This should be fun.

Edited by Mad Dog

@Polaris922  He went from being a pro scout to Asst. GM in LA....and is now director of hockey operations for the Flyers. No real GM experience, but he got to watch one of the best, Dean Lombardi do his stuff for a few years, so hopefully some of that rubbed off.

I think he may have GMed an AHL team at some point but may be recalling wrong

Yep.  I will never support another team with a passion and loyalty I support the Flyers, no matter what the circumstances are.  But arrogance of this franchise, combined with just plain incompetence and stupidity, make me want to vomit, quite frankly.  What was the point of such signings as Emminger, Gervais, Hal Gill, Jody Shelley for 3 years (still can't get over that signing)?  This is ridiculous. What was the point of not giving Jagr (who, by teh way is still scoring) just one-year contract?

The point of not signing Jagr is that he made it clear that he wanted top line/PP minutes and the Flyers felt it was time to give one of those young players everyone is talking about (Voracek) that spot. Seriously, the Flyers were/are not a Jagr away from the Cup. Who cares? It was a fun year watching him, that was enough for me.

Emminger was a first round pick that had stagnated...it was a calculated risk that a change of scenery might be what he needed to kick start his game. That was a thing that Homer looked for early in his tenure as GM, he tried it with Biron and that kind of sort of worked out...Emminger wasn't some bum signed off a beer league team.

I got nothing for Gervais & Shelley though.

The point of not signing Jagr is that he made it clear that he wanted top line/PP minutes and the Flyers felt it was time to give one of those young players everyone is talking about (Voracek) that spot. Seriously, the Flyers were/are not a Jagr away from the Cup. Who cares? It was a fun year watching him, that was enough for me.

I realize the Flyers were not a Jagr away from winning the Cup.  This was just one in a series of multiple stupid decisions.  Yet Homer chased Zach Parese and, rest assured, if Parese would have signed with the Flyers, Homer would give him a NMC/NTC and a salary which would severely cripple the cap situation.

They are not a Lecavalier away from winning the Cup either.  At least Jagr would only be signed for 1 more year and at a half of Lecavalier's salary. 

Edited by Mad Dog