Pens, Bruins or Rangers, pick your poison!

IMO, not right now.  Us old schoolers remember the Ranger hate well!  

I live right smack in the middle of PA, so it's literally half Pens/half Flyers(okay, with a few Caps fans due to the Hershey Bears).   It's anarchy when Pens/Flyers play in the playoffs.  I literally have people yell at me when I wear Flyers gear out.  And I love it.   :)

Understandable. I think a huge factor is not meeting them in the playoffs recently. I hated the Rangers for decades when the Pens were an easy 2 points game in game out. I still hate the Rangers....though I was forced through family obligations to take a 3 year hiatus, it's back with a vengeance.

Understandable. I think a huge factor is not meeting them in the playoffs recently. I hated the Rangers for decades when the Pens were an easy 2 points game in game out. I still hate the Rangers....though I was forced through family obligations to take a 3 year hiatus, it's back with a vengeance.

Yeah, the recent playoff battles vs the Pens has definitely stoked the flames around here. Some of my earliest memories(I'm 44) are watching the Flyers win their Cups, and hating the Rangers.  I don't know where it came from--probably my dad as he hated them as well--but I just remember ALWAYS hating the Rangers!   :D

Yeah, the recent playoff battles vs the Pens has definitely stoked the flames around here. Some of my earliest memories(I'm 44) are watching the Flyers win their Cups, and hating the Rangers.  I don't know where it came from--probably my dad as he hated them as well--but I just remember ALWAYS hating the Rangers!   :D

At least for the Flyers fans who live in the Philly area and/or are fans of all the profession teams in the city, the whole Philly/New York rivalry plays a part in that, too.  Philly has always has a chip on its collective shoulder when it comes to New York.

Eagles/Giants

Mets/Phillies

Sixers/Knicks (OK - not lately on this one but still....)

As for Flyers/Pens, there really is no Pittsburgh/Philly rivaly other than this one - though I think Flyers Pens is more than enough.

Even in baseball you have to go back to the late 1970's to find a time when the Buccos and Phillies were good at the same time.

As for Flyers/Pens, there really is no Pittsburgh/Philly rivaly other than this one - though I think Flyers Pens is more than enough.

Even in baseball you have to go back to the late 1970's to find a time when the Buccos and Phillies were good at the same time.

The Eagles aren't even in the same Conference as the Stillers and the Pirates ran away from the Eastern division. There's no real set rivalry possible with either of them.

The only real time to see either of them with any meaning is in the playoffs (baseball) or Super Bowl (football).

The Eagles aren't even in the same Conference as the Stillers and the Pirates ran away from the Eastern division. There's no real set rivalry possible with either of them.

The only real time to see either of them with any meaning is in the playoffs (baseball) or Super Bowl (football).

We feel we are more "midwest" than "east".  ;)   You can have your Boston/NYC/Philly/DC "megalopolis".

At least for the Flyers fans who live in the Philly area and/or are fans of all the profession teams in the city, the whole Philly/New York rivalry plays a part in that, too.  Philly has always has a chip on its collective shoulder when it comes to New York.

Eagles/Giants

Mets/Phillies

Sixers/Knicks (OK - not lately on this one but still....)

As for Flyers/Pens, there really is no Pittsburgh/Philly rivaly other than this one - though I think Flyers Pens is more than enough.

You're right except for basketball. Growing up in Philly there was no team more hated (back in '60s, '70s, probably '80s too) than the Celtics. Sixers-Celtics was like a blood fued. Sixers Knicks was never really that big a deal.

We feel we are more "midwest" than "east".

Which is kinda funny in that the Pirates are apparently desperate to get back into the East

Pirates president Frank Coonelly is lobbying Major League Baseball to move his team from the National League Central Division to the NL East.

It's a great idea, one I'd fully support, even if the competition might be stiffer.

Coonelly points out that Pittsburgh is an eastern city, not a midwestern one, and in the NL East his team could rekindle old sparks with the Phillies and Mets.

Growing up in Philly there was no team more hated (back in '60s, '70s, probably '80s too) than the Celtics. Sixers-Celtics was like a blood fued.

Completely agree. Nothing was like Sixers/Celtics especially with Bird/Doctor J.

I almost got back into the NBA interest when the Sixers played the Celtics in the playoffs a few years ago.

Thank God that didn't happen :D

I think our team can play with anyone if they move their feet and play hard on the puck.

the only teams I sweat are Columbus/Tampa, they are a bad match up. they are faster than the Flyers, not quite as skilled top to bottom but their speed kills.

I think Boston is too big and good over 7 games but I like our team and our chances.  I think the Pens , Rangers, everyone else Habs, I think the Flyers can beat

Completely agree. Nothing was like Sixers/Celtics especially with Bird/Doctor J.

I have only very vague memories of Wilt/Russell but I assume it started then. If you played for the Sixers and you killed the Celtics, it didn't matter if you did nothing else. You were a hero.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/16/sports/baseball-pirates-relent-on-new-alignment.html?pagewanted=print

Hardly "running away" BTW....

I have only very vague memories of Wilt/Russell but I assume it started then. If you played for the Sixers and you killed the Celtics, it didn't matter if you did nothing else. You were a hero.

Andrew Toney - The Boston Strangler

The 1983 Championship run was one of the most satisfying events of my sporting youth. SWEEPING the Bird/McHale/Parish Celtics and SWEEPING the Magic/Kareem Lakers.

You're really too too easy, you know that? :D

Danforth informed baseball officials last Friday morning that "the more we talked, the more we felt that it was the right move for us."

Including factors other than competition, Bonifay said the club's conclusion was the same, basing their views to some extent on the Steelers' position in the National Football League's Central Division. The Pirates will be grouped with two of the same cities the Steelers have in their division, Cincinnati and Houston.

"We don't feel that there's any major difference between the Eastern and Central Divisions," Bonifay said. "With the Steelers' being in the Central Division, from our fans' viewpoint, it would not limit our rivalries. Our fan base understands where we are geographically."

You're right except for basketball. Growing up in Philly there was no team more hated (back in '60s, '70s, probably '80s too) than the Celtics. Sixers-Celtics was like a blood fued. Sixers Knicks was never really that big a deal.

Never been much for basketball. But I admit I watched a few games when Erving and Bird used to go against each other. Well, the last 10 minutes anyway.

Andrew Toney - The Boston Strangler

The 1983 Championship run was one of the most satisfying events of my sporting youth. SWEEPING the Bird/McHale/Parish Celtics and SWEEPING the Magic/Kareem Lakers.

Yup, that was an awesome run. And I forgot they called Toney that. Great nickname.

Never been much for basketball. But I admit I watched a few games when Erving and Bird used to go against each other. Well, the last 10 minutes anyway.

The NBA was really much more of a team game back then - even with the emphasis on "stars" like Bird, Magic, Doc, Kareem, etc. Look at the mid-80s Pistons teams with Laimbeer, etc. Great teams without real major "stars."

Once the whole place went Jordantastic, it was all over. Guys are more concerned with highlight reels than playing the game.

The NBA was really much more of a team game back then - even with the emphasis on "stars" like Bird, Magic, Doc, Kareem, etc. Look at the mid-80s Pistons teams with Laimbeer, etc. Great teams without real major "stars."

Once the whole place went Jordantastic, it was all over. Guys are more concerned with highlight reels than playing the game.

Actually, to be fair that style isn't completely a thing of the past. The Spurs are one of the great "teams" ever. I'm hoping that Brett Brown brings that to the Sixers.

Actually, to be fair that style isn't completely a thing of the past. The Spurs are one of the great "teams" ever. I'm hoping that Brett Brown brings that to the Sixers.

Well, I've basically given up on the entire league. :D

I know it's not entirely a thing of the past - and they have been trying to get more of that back into the league - but I still find the vast majority of the NBA completely unwatchable.

the Flyers will end up playing either the Bruins, Rangers or Pens. So which team would the Flyers fans like to face?

All of the above.  Dispatch the Rangers and Penguins in 6 games each, then surprise the Bruins in game 7 in Boston.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

Which is kinda funny in that the Pirates are apparently desperate to get back into the East

Other than the Nats and maybe the Braves, look at the cess pool of teams in the East.   Can't say I blame them (I know, they have the Cubs to beat up on, but moving east gets them away from the Cards and the Reds).