Pens, Bruins or Rangers, pick your poison!

Well unless the Flyers have a meltdown in the last 3 games and Columbus goes on a tear, the Flyers will end up playing either the Bruins, Rangers or Pens. So which team would the Flyers fans like to face?

Any Flyers fans who doesn't want the Pens should have their head examined. ;)

Clearly - no one wants the Bruins.  The Flyers are better than the Rangers on paper but would you want to take your chances with Lundqvist?

Meanwhile, 10-2-1 at Consol?  'Nuff said.

• Like 2

I want the Rangers because a) they're the team I most love to hate, and b) I think the last time the Flyers and Rangers met in the playoffs Gretzky and Messier were playing for the Rangers. Time to break out the videos of Dave Schultz pulling Dale Rolf's hair.

I want the Pens...the atmosphere in the WFC is the best when they come here.  We are 2-0 vs the Rags at ome and 0-2 vs them at MSG.  I know we can beat them but I think it would be tougher.  We can hang with the B's for a little bit but they will pull away and wear us down over 7 games.  I think CBJ may give them a better fight and hope that they draw them.

what's with this goofy PO formula this year? Div winners meet the wild cards makes sense. But then it gets unnecessarily complicated seems to me. 2 faces 3? Why? Why not just do it the regular way, 1/8, 2/7, 3/6 and 4/5?

• Like 1

what's with this goofy PO formula this year? Div winners meet the wild cards makes sense. But then it gets unnecessarily complicated seems to me. 2 faces 3? Why? Why not just do it the regular way, 1/8, 2/7, 3/6 and 4/5?

Coupla threads for ya:

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/61888-the-problem-with-the-hard-bracket/

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/61834-unfair-advantage-for-2nd-and-3rd-seeds/

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/61769-2013-14-playoff-format/

:D

great. thanks for the homework. :( But I already read the complaints.

Obviously no system will please everybody but this one just seems unnecessarilly complicated.

b) I think the last time the Flyers and Rangers met in the playoffs Gretzky and Messier were playing for the Rangers. Time to break out the videos of Dave Schultz pulling Dale Rolf's hair.

Is that true? I don't think Gretzky was there, but Messier was for sure. That was the ceremonious "passing of the tourch" as Messier was a boy hood idol of Lindros. 

I can't believe it was that long ago. Shite, I remember those series in the early - mid 80's. 

Did Gretzky and Messier ever play on the Rangerks together?? 

We don't get that with the Rangers?!?!

IMO, not right now.  Us old schoolers remember the Ranger hate well!  

I live right smack in the middle of PA, so it's literally half Pens/half Flyers(okay, with a few Caps fans due to the Hershey Bears).   It's anarchy when Pens/Flyers play in the playoffs.  I literally have people yell at me when I wear Flyers gear out.  And I love it.   :)

• Like 1

Is that true? I don't think Gretzky was there, but Messier was for sure. That was the ceremonious "passing of the tourch" as Messier was a boy hood idol of Lindros. 

I can't believe it was that long ago. Shite, I remember those series in the early - mid 80's. 

Did Gretzky and Messier ever play on the Rangerks together?? 

Yup, unless the box score is wrong:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199705250PHI.html

And I believe that series was the last time either of them got to the playoffs.

I want the Pens.....not because I think they would be an easy out, but because of the sheer excitement of going toe to toe with that team in a 7 game series.  I don't see any of these 3 teams as being an easy first round, so I have to go by who I think we have the best chance at and who will make for a really exciting series.  Given the Flyers current success against the Pens, especially at Consol, the Pens meet both criteria for me.

This is in no way meant to be a cocky post saying that we would easily cruise to a victory against the Pens, but given the choice of those 3 teams, I would want the Pens. 

Unfortunately, I think we will end up with the Rags and I don't feel good about having to face them, especially if we don't have home ice adv.  Not sure whats up with them once they get to MSG, but they just can't seem to get a W in that building.

That would be the series against the Flyers then.

Edit: It's actually hard to believe that the Flyers and Rangers haven't met in the playoffs in 17 years.

One of the rationales for having the divisional approach - it can create (Tampa/Montreal) or reignite (Flyers/Rangers) rivalries.

Of course, it was the Rangers that missed the playoffs the next seven seasons that can be blamed for most of it. And then three more first round exits and another missed playoff in the next eight...Add in last year's miss for the Flyers and here we are.

Still hate the system :D

No series will be easy and I consider the Flyers underdogs in all of them.

I guess of NYR, Pens, Bruins that the Flyers actually match up the best against the Pens.  They at least have the psychology of doing well IN Pittsburgh going for them there.  

Assuming the Flyers are on the road against the Rags, I don't like their chances.  They've shown me nothing at MSG to make me think they will steal a game there.    If the Flyers somehow manage to get home ice then they have a shot, but I honestly think the Rags have a better chance of stealing one in Philly than the other way around.  Plus, I really don't like the idea of a series against King Henry.  I have to figure he's good for winning at least one on his own; maybe two.

Someone said something regarding hanging with the Bruins but the Bruins being able to wear them down over a series.  I completely agree with that thought.  The Bruins are just too deep and typically too disciplined.  Especially in Boston where it will be harder to match lines, I just don't think the Flyers can hang with them.  Of the two teams, it would more likely the Flyers to have break downs or "flat" periods of play where Boston will be able to take advantage and have the goaltending to make up for the few mistakes they'd make.

Since I believe it will likely be one and done for the Flyers (possible exception of Pitt), I would just as soon have a Pitt-Philly series just for the spectacle of it. I figure if we're going to go down it may as well be as entertaining as possible along the way.

• Like 2

Someone said something regarding hanging with the Bruins but the Bruins being able to wear them down over a series.  I completely agree with that thought.  

Rux - a sober assessment is no match for Berube's brew - thirst against top flights.  There will be no pressure against the B's, just trust the system and play hard, with some ol' opening round rux-spin.  All other matchups feel iffy.  In any case, can't see a stay-the-course summer if Flyers manage only two home games this Spring...

No series will be easy and I consider the Flyers underdogs in all of them.

I guess of NYR, Pens, Bruins that the Flyers actually match up the best against the Pens.  They at least have the psychology of doing well IN Pittsburgh going for them there.  

Assuming the Flyers are on the road against the Rags, I don't like their chances.  They've shown me nothing at MSG to make me think they will steal a game there.    If the Flyers somehow manage to get home ice then they have a shot, but I honestly think the Rags have a better chance of stealing one in Philly than the other way around.  Plus, I really don't like the idea of a series against King Henry.  I have to figure he's good for winning at least one on his own; maybe two.

Someone said something regarding hanging with the Bruins but the Bruins being able to wear them down over a series.  I completely agree with that thought.  The Bruins are just too deep and typically too disciplined.  Especially in Boston where it will be harder to match lines, I just don't think the Flyers can hang with them.  Of the two teams, it would more likely the Flyers to have break downs or "flat" periods of play where Boston will be able to take advantage and have the goaltending to make up for the few mistakes they'd make.

Since I believe it will likely be one and done for the Flyers (possible exception of Pitt), I would just as soon have a Pitt-Philly series just for the spectacle of it. I figure if we're going to go down it may as well be as entertaining as possible along the way.

Honestly if Lundquist is so unbeatable, how come he's never been as far as Michael Leighton has in the playoffs? :blink:  He's been past the first round 4 times in his career, and past the 2nd once. I know that's more on the teams lack of scoring, but it still shows he's very beatable.