Credit To A Captain

Digityman

I listen to what his teammates say about him.  They RAVE about him.  Not that you ever hear teammates "bash" a captain; but it's not often you hear players go out of their way to praise their Captain.  Regardless of what we think, players respect him, listen to him, and most importantly, support and play for him.  

I remember the howling when he said they'd make the playoffs... people saying he should put up and shut up, people were pretty harsh around here at that time no question.  

I thought he was challenging himself and his team, I wanted to see what they would do, He's a great player, and becoming a very good leader,  this team plays for one another, they enjoy each other and I think a lot of that camaraderie comes from 28's example.

He's had a nice season, and I hope he continues this upward career trajectory. 

I remember the howling when he said they'd make the playoffs... people saying he should put up and shut up, people were pretty harsh around here at that time no question.  

I thought he was challenging himself and his team, I wanted to see what they would do, He's a great player, and becoming a very good leader,  this team plays for one another, they enjoy each other and I think a lot of that camaraderie comes from 28's example.

He's had a nice season, and I hope he continues this upward career trajectory. 

So what? The team was awful and he personally had a terrible start (for the 2nd year in a row). We're all glad he's straightened that out, and the team is back in the POs, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

He predicted the playoffs (see this thread) and he delivered.   He's also currently 5th in points, 28th in goals, 6th in assists, 11th in game winning goals & 4th in power play points.  He battled his way through the beginning of the season and has this team playing pretty well.

Giroux is a good captain and at age 26, only just entering his prime.

Credit where credit is due.

He reminds me of Timonen in the sense that neither is what you'd call "tough" at first glance. They aren't big hitters, aren't big people in general, and don't every fight, but the both of them are quite physical, talk the talk, and often back it up. They are doers. They will call the team out for playing poorly and get sh!t done when it needs doing. 

@fanaticV3.0

so what ?  people may need to vent but sometimes they should wait and see what's going to happen.  'cause no one knows the future.

while it was true he was playing poorly, a lot of people were calling for him to give up the "C" and calling him a bust, it was typical Flyer fan overreaction and short sighted thinking.  And I get the shits of it from time to time.  

Pick a young player and see how people are ragging them about their development , it's every goddamned one, Couturier, Schenn, the other Schenn, because they aren't Sidney Crosby and Duncan Keith they suck or are a bust.  

Then when the "bum" gets shipped out of town , many of the guys bitching about said bum, get their knickers in a twist over the kid turning into a player elsewhere.  Seasons are long grinds, careers are more than 10 games, this fan base is its own worst enemy ... a lot.  

hey feel free to call a spade a spade, I get the need to vent, but if a guy is going to be calling players out, they should be ready to have that crap shoved back in their face when they're proven wrong.

IMO the crap at the beginning of the season was short sighted hate for hate's sake.  

• Like 1

IMO the crap at the beginning of the season was short sighted hate for hate's sake.

I like G and think he has really emerged this season - and I'll own up that I was among those who were critical of naming him captain and questioned whether he "could be G" in that role. Overall, my "concerns" about Giroux were founded upon my inherent distrust of the "braintrust" running this organization. And, quite frankly, I still have that distrust. I'm also quite happy to have seen my concerns not completely play out.

Are there people who have overreacted? Sure. Happens all the time. That's why we have these boards. People blow off steam. The passion of the fanbase is a boon and a dirge at times.

But let's not pretend that he didn't have his second straight "slow start" wearing the C this season. Yes, we can talk injury (which Giroux himself denies) and yes last year was a lockout and well, now, to me this is all seeming more like "excuses" than "reasons." Water under the bridge at this point.

I'm happy the Flyers are in the playoffs, but I still look at the standings and think "if they had four more points from October they're not looking at playing on the road at MSG" - and they would control their own destiny WRT that rather than hoping that the Rags falter. It would, if nothing else, put them in a position where they aren't worried about Detroit and/or Columbus overtaking them.

Which they still are.

It's all well and good that it may not matter. That's why there are concerns expressed - because while it might not matter, it still might matter indeed if they don't take care of business.

So, in the end, I'll give credit where it is due. And Giroux is certainly "due". But I'm still going to err on the side of being critical than on the "rah rah sis boom bah" side of things.

And I'll be wearing my orange shirt over my Timonen #44 shirt with my black suit, orange and black tie, orange socks, black shoes and orange and black glasses with my Flyers hat when the playoffs start.

Now, on to the playoffs - where the games matter more and more each day.

• Like 1

I like G and think he has really emerged this season - and I'll own up that I was among those who were critical of naming him captain and questioned whether he "could be G" in that role. Overall, my "concerns" about Giroux were founded upon my inherent distrust of the "braintrust" running this organization. And, quite frankly, I still have that distrust. I'm also quite happy to have seen my concerns not completely play out.

Are there people who have overreacted? Sure. Happens all the time. That's why we have these boards. People blow off steam. The passion of the fanbase is a boon and a dirge at times.

But let's not pretend that he didn't have his second straight "slow start" wearing the C this season. Yes, we can talk injury (which Giroux himself denies) and yes last year was a lockout and well, now, to me this is all seeming more like "excuses" than "reasons." Water under the bridge at this point.

I'm happy the Flyers are in the playoffs, but I still look at the standings and think "if they had four more points from October they're not looking at playing on the road at MSG" - and they would control their own destiny WRT that rather than hoping that the Rags falter. It would, if nothing else, put them in a position where they aren't worried about Detroit and/or Columbus overtaking them.

Which they still are.

It's all well and good that it may not matter. That's why there are concerns expressed - because while it might not matter, it still might matter indeed if they don't take care of business.

So, in the end, I'll give credit where it is due. And Giroux is certainly "due". But I'm still going to err on the side of being critical than on the "rah rah sis boom bah" side of things.

And I'll be wearing my orange shirt over my Timonen #44 shirt with my black suit, orange and black tie, orange socks, black shoes and orange and black glasses with my Flyers hat when the playoffs start.

Now, on to the playoffs - where the games matter more and more each day.

Great post ^^

I think some people need to understand that people were questioning a number of things at the beginning of the year and it was not just G.  They miss the playoffs last year and were bad - flat out bad.  Camp was a mess to the point Mr Snider called it the "worst camp he has ever seen" and then the Coach gets canned 3 days into the season.   Most people were upset w/ management and lets face the facts here:  the Team was really bad and Giroux may have been one of the worst players on the ice during that stretch.   Couple his issues, the Teams issues, management and Coaching issues and it was a perfect storm for the fans to complain.  

I have no issue with someone stating something negative about a player.  If the Player is not getting the job done then he should be called out.  That is why Philly fans are the best.  Give us an honest effort and we will forever love the player... Play soft and lazy and you hear about it...  We understand the game and when G was not getting back on defense at the beginning of the year he deserved to be called out.   I am sorry but being lazy on the ice is not what a Captain should be - ask the Caps how that works out for them.

With that said G proved most people wrong.   He carried this Team and literally threw the Team on his back to make the playoffs.   He has proved that he is a great Captain and backed up his words with his play.  

For every fan that complains is a fan that likes to say "I told you so... typical negative Philadelphia..."   If we all thought that every Player is perfect then what is the point of having a discussion board? 

No matter if you wanted the C stripped form his sweater or not it really makes no difference now.  He answered the question - he is a great player and a good captain.  

No matter if you wanted the C stripped form his sweater or not it really makes no difference now. He answered the question - he is a great player and a good captain.

I never called for him to be stripped - there's no good end to that. I lived through Lindros. That experience and the Hatcher/Forsberg/Smith years gives anyone a valid criticism of this team's ability to "pick" captains. That they then took their captain of the future and gave him the C too early, gave him a 15 year contract and shipped him out of town only amplifies that.

And I've always been hopeful that things turn out for the best even when I don't have any real reason to think it will.

Often, adversity brings out the best in people and players and I think that Giroux is a much better player today because of what happened this season. And I think he's a better leader. And I think they're a better team.

That's what you hope for and that's what happened. But anyone who "knew" what was going to happen is wasting their time on these boards and should be down picking Keno and Roulette in Atlantic City or Vegas. Or Chester. Or Bethlehem...

@radoran

@murraycraven

i don't want to be sounding like i knew he (Giroux) would turn it around, because I had no idea what would happen

Plus, I did say I understand the need to vent.

I just grow weary of the negative i told ya so attitude of many of our brethren and was taken aback by the venom directed toward Giroux.

MC i saw a lot of 28 diving to get back into plays early in the year I don't know that i remember him loafing, sometimes I miss stuff though.

EDIT: Rad, i did just get back from Vegas ... where i tripled my money on roulette !

I do remember writing somewhat hopefully that these are the tough times that bring a team together towards the beginning of the year, but i will admit it was a lot of "hoping" and no "knowing"

Edited by mojo1917

@fanaticV3.0

so what ?  people may need to vent but sometimes they should wait and see what's going to happen.  'cause no one knows the future.

while it was true he was playing poorly, a lot of people were calling for him to give up the "C" and calling him a bust, it was typical Flyer fan overreaction and short sighted thinking.  And I get the shits of it from time to time.  

Pick a young player and see how people are ragging them about their development , it's every goddamned one, Couturier, Schenn, the other Schenn, because they aren't Sidney Crosby and Duncan Keith they suck or are a bust.  

Then when the "bum" gets shipped out of town , many of the guys bitching about said bum, get their knickers in a twist over the kid turning into a player elsewhere.  Seasons are long grinds, careers are more than 10 games, this fan base is its own worst enemy ... a lot.  

hey feel free to call a spade a spade, I get the need to vent, but if a guy is going to be calling players out, they should be ready to have that crap shoved back in their face when they're proven wrong.

The team won one game in their first 8, fired their coach, Giroux didn't score a goal until Nov. 9, and this was the 2nd year in a row he had a bad start. What part of criticizing that is unwarranted or somehow unfair?

The team won one game in their first 8, fired their coach, Giroux didn't score a goal until Nov. 9, and this was the 2nd year in a row he had a bad start. What part of criticizing that is unwarranted or somehow unfair?

again; i said i understand the need to vent, several times, in this very thread.

I also said I was surprised by the venom directed at the young first time captain, to me it seemed like on one thought that maybe he and they would get better ... at least that's how much of the howling felt to me at the time.

it was all he's a fraud, trade them all, and i think that behavior is stupid.

@radoran

@murraycraven

i don't want to be sounding like i knew he (Giroux) would turn it around, because I had no idea what would happen

Plus, I did say I understand the need to vent.

I just grow weary of the negative i told ya so attitude of many of our brethren and was taken aback by the venom directed toward Giroux.

MC i saw a lot of 28 diving to get back into plays early in the year I don't know that i remember him loafing, sometimes I miss stuff though.

EDIT: Rad, i did just get back from Vegas ... where i tripled my money on roulette !

I do remember writing somewhat hopefully that these are the tough times that bring a team together towards the beginning of the year, but i will admit it was a lot of "hoping" and no "knowing"

Yeah, don't mean to "call you out" for it, mojo. I completely understand the "I told ya so" attitude being a drag - it's what I think I'm heading off at the pass here.

It's a great turnaround season and fun to be back in the playoffs again. I'm looking forward to watching some playoff hockey with meaning.

Roulette is my game of choice when I have money I want to put in a large pile and set on fire. Always bet on black :D

again; i said i understand the need to vent, several times, in this very thread.

I also said I was surprised by the venom directed at the young first time captain, to me it seemed like on one thought that maybe he and they would get better ... at least that's how much of the howling felt to me at the time.

it was all he's a fraud, trade them all, and i think that behavior is stupid.

I think some of the "venom" was because this was a young, first-time captain and, again, looking back at the track record of the "braintrust" that put him there.

There are people who simply "have it out" for Giroux - and, yes, @phlfly we're looking at you. In those circumstances, I "consider the source".

But it looks like the blind squirrels running the organization have found a nut. And, for that at least, I'm happy :D

Well stated. That means more that the outsiders know. This team in some ways reminds me of the Poulin era.