Flyers' Mason not ready; Emery to start Game 3

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=28629&navid=nhl:topheads

For some reason in my gut Mason and Flyers are hiding something more serious than we are lead to believe. I really hope I am wrong. After the performance in NY Emery earned another chance.

Hmm this season seems like 2010 again. Boosh gets hurt in come Lehighton, and thank god Emery is not Lehighton.

Boosh gets hurt in come Lehighton, and thank god Emery is not Lehighton.

And thank God Mason isn't Boosh!  Isn't it scary to look back and think that Boosh, God love him, was the guy we were relying on to go deep in the playoffs?  I really do like the guy and I wish he had panned out to be better than he was, but it really goes to show just how deep in the dumps we were are far as goaltending back then!  Mason-Emery duo gives a comfort that i haven't felt as a Flyers fan since.......well, ever! 

I remember Pelle-Frose, but I was only 5-6 when Pelle died.  I remember Hexy 1 (don't remember who was backing him up) well, but I was only 7 when they went to the finals against Edmonton and after that, he was never quite as good.  Hexy 2-Snow duo had its moments, but you always felts like the other shoe would drop and obviously it dropped hard when they played Detroit!

This is really unfortunate for Mason. It was supposed to be an important growing experience for him and the team. Depending on how the Flyers do, he may get that chance. But it's a real bummer that it starts out this way.

...Boosh!...it really goes to show just how deep in the dumps we were are far as goaltending back then!

I agree with everything you wrote. It's just that after that run I can't bring myself to slam Boucher for anything. LOL

And I *still* think the Flyers would've been 1000times better off going with Bob/Boosh the next year instead of ... what followed.

But what the hell...things haven't turned out too bad. Emery gets us through the Rags and Mason will be pumped for R2.

Yeah. You have to be a bit of a hater to rag on Boosh. That guy did a lot of good things here often under difficult circumstances.

If barber has stuck with him when he got hurt in 2000 and had Clarke not traded Boosh and handed the keys to roman, in front of whom the team couldn't seem to function, the entire OO's may have looked quite different.

I agree with everything you wrote. It's just that after that run I can't bring myself to slam Boucher for anything. LOL

And I *still* think the Flyers would've been 1000times better off going with Bob/Boosh the next year instead of ... what followed.

But what the hell...things haven't turned out too bad. Emery gets us through the Rags and Mason will be pumped for R2.

He is clearly embellishing fellas....

lol. Yeah at this point he's probably taking things too far. l mean it was funny and all, making the Pens' guy Smegma or whatever his name is look bad. And sitting out 2 games...to make sure everybody got the joke, no problem. But 3?

I tell ya that Mason he's got a helluva sense of humor! :)

Oh trust me, I feel bad saying anything bad about Boosh. I genuinely liked him and would have loved for him to have succeeded, but at that late stage of his career it made for a bleak goaltending situation. I agree 100% that a bob-boosh tandem would have been head and shoulders better than bringing in the crazy cosmonaut.

Yeah. You have to be a bit of a hater to rag on Boosh. That guy did a lot of good things here often under difficult circumstances.

If barber has stuck with him when he got hurt in 2000 and had Clarke not traded Boosh and handed the keys to roman, in front of whom the team couldn't seem to function, the entire OO's may have looked quite different.

I'm far from a hater when it comes to Boosh, but if you can look me in the eye and tell me that a tandem of old Boosh and Leighton is not a scary thing in comparison to Mason-Emery, I'd say you need to get your head examined! I'm not ragging on the guy, I'm just being brutally honest when comparing the tandems of 2010 to the present

I think homer and snider would agree with the non Boosh tandem at this point themselves.

Mason and emery is much safer than Boosh and leighton. No question. Leighton is the Mitch Williams of the flyers as far as I'm concerned. Playing hurt with a slipped disk and not telling anyone.

The only advantage is that the team played like a solid orange wall I front of him because they knew he wasn't that strong. Lappy might have had a few more years left in him if we'd had Mason.

I still contend to this day that with a healthy Emery to play in those finals, the flyers would have won the dn cup that year.

And no one can prove me wrong. ;)

Oh trust me, I feel bad saying anything bad about Boosh. I genuinely liked him and would have loved for him to have succeeded, but at that late stage of his career it made for a bleak goaltending situation. I agree 100% that a bob-boosh tandem would have been head and shoulders better than bringing in the crazy cosmonaut.

I'm far from a hater when it comes to Boosh, but if you can look me in the eye and tell me that a tandem of old Boosh and Leighton is not a scary thing in comparison to Mason-Emery, I'd say you need to get your head examined! I'm not ragging on the guy, I'm just being brutally honest when comparing the tandems of 2010 to the present

I'm far from a hater when it comes to Boosh, but if you can look me in the eye and tell me that a tandem of old Boosh and Leighton is not a scary thing in comparison to Mason-Emery, I'd say you need to get your head examined!

Mason and emery is much safer than Boosh and leighton. No question.

Here's the crazy thing:

Mason, 2.50, .917

Leighton, 2.48, .918

Emery, 2.96, .903

Boosh, 2.42, .916 (2.76, .899 the previous year)

Say what you will about the eye test, but statistically, Mason-Emery are not better.

Here's the crazy thing:

Mason, 2.50, .917

Leighton, 2.48, .918

Emery, 2.96, .903

Say what you will about the eye test, but statistically, Mason-Emery are not better.

I know what you're saying, but you tell me, who would you rather have, Boosh-Leighton or Mason-Emery?  Leighton catches fire for a short stretch and then completely blows our chances for the Cup.  If the Flyers had a goalie that could stop a puck in that series, they beat Chicago.  Games 1 and 2 in Chi were such winnable games, but Leighton and Niemi must have each been paid off to blow the games because they were both trying their best to give it up!  And Boosh, at that stage of career, is simply not as good as Mason right now.  Stats can tell whatever story you want, but overall talent level has Mason above Boosh for me.  Yes, the eye test is what I'm relying on!  :P

Here's the crazy thing:

Mason, 2.50, .917

Leighton, 2.48, .918

Emery, 2.96, .903

I think pronger and a younger Timmonen may have factored in there...Mike Richards as well.

• Like 1

Stats can tell whatever story you want, but overall talent level has Mason above Boosh for me.  Yes, the eye test is what I'm relying on! 

What good does talent do for you when you don't perform better?

Haha, don't get me wrong, there is NO WAY I would ever want Boosh-Leighton over Mason-Emery, but there is also no disputing that Mason-Emery are statistically worse (but very borderline) this season than that tandem during their season, regardless of whatever factors came into play. FC brings up a good point about Pronger, Timonen, and Richards. And who knows, the rest of the team might have been playing scared the entire season knowing who they had back there, haha.

You can use all the eye tests in the world. The fact is that Mason lets in more goals per game and saves fewer shots as a percentage than Leighton did. 

But I will take Mason 11 times out of 10.

This goes back to what I was saying about how cautiously that 2010 team played in front if them.

They were a little more risky for Boosh I always thought, but they locked down and blocked like a mad man for leighton. They whole Montreal series, the Habs didn't get more than one or two decent chances per game. Low % shots only. It was a thing if beauty.

Here's the crazy thing:

Mason, 2.50, .917

Leighton, 2.48, .918

Emery, 2.96, .903

“Every day, honestly, it’s a different story,” Mason said. “Some days are really good and others aren’t great. Today was better. We’ll just hope tomorrow’s even better than today.”

“I feel good with the goaltending part of the practice, there’s just other things that are affecting the decision.”

-Sure starts to sound like concussion or whiplash issues. That ain't good. Other things? That's a tad curious.

I wonder what Mase meant by that.

Let it be said though, my concern is for Mason here and the long run for him. I have always said that playing Emery is not going to cost us this series. I just want Mason to be healthy.

This was the reason Homer went out and brought Emery in - not to risk NOT having a second NHL goalie available in case something happens to Mase in the playoffs.  So far it's been paying off.  I have a feeling this is going to be all Emery this series. 

“Every day, honestly, it’s a different story,” Mason said. “Some days are really good and others aren’t great. Today was better. We’ll just hope tomorrow’s even better than today.”

“I feel good with the goaltending part of the practice, there’s just other things that are affecting the decision.”

-Sure starts to sound like concussion or whiplash issues. That ain't good. Other things? That's a tad curious.

I wonder what Mase meant by that.

Let it be said though, my concern is for Mason here and the long run for him. I have always said that playing Emery is not going to cost us this series. I just want Mason to be healthy.

Yes, it does sound like a concussion, but then again, if it were, would he really be on the ice taking pucks to the head if he wasn't ready? 

The fact is that Mason lets in more goals per game and saves fewer shots as a percentage than Leighton did.

And the fact is statistics tell only a fraction of the story - any story involving people that is.

For instance: Leighton's numbers in the Final - I don't know what they were but they must be pretty terrible - pulled twice in 6 games.

Now...imagine if he stops that shot by Kane and the Flyers win G6. They go to Chicago win the Cup. One save that Leighton makes instead of misses changes everything - and yet his numbers hardly change - that save barely moves the needle.

You can use all the eye tests in the world. The fact is that Mason lets in more goals per game and saves fewer shots as a percentage than Leighton did. 

Leighton only started 27 games that season while Mason has started 61 this year.  Its not a really fair comparison.  And I agree with FC, we had a different D in front of Boosh-Leighton than we have now.  Too many factors to consider when digging into those stats.  The eye test still works best for me in this case! haha

and remember, 4 out of 5 dentists recommend Trident for those who chew gum. (oh boy showing my age here!)

Anyway...what they never told you was they only asked 5 dentists and that 5th guy? A communist. Yep. True story.

And based on my eye test, Mason is a much better goaltender than Leighton.

Really Mason is still looking for his first ever playoff win!!!!!!!!!!

Emery 21-6 2.59 904% 3 shutouts

Leights out is 8-4 2.53 913% 3 shutouts

Mason is 0-4 4.26 878%.... OOOOooooochhhhh!!!!!! that is ugly!!!

Before hand i'm just kidding..... :ph34r:

Edited by OccamsRazor