Round 2 - Penguins vs Rangers

hf101

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this playoff series?

Consider this a general discussion thread for Round 2 of the Penguins vs Rangers.

The Penguins have won all 4 of the previous playoff series between these two teams. However in the regular season they have split each winning one game in regulation and one in a shootout.

The Penguin's greatest assets are its forwards Crosby and Malkin, while the Rangers rely on their strength in net by Lundqvist.  

Who will win the Metropolitan division title?

I think the Rangers take this in six.

My reason is Lundqvist, call it a hunch but I see this as his series. This is the series that he makes up for a somewhat average regular season.

My ever-growing gut told me the Blue Jackets would give the Pens fits.  That same gut is telling me there will be no "easy" games but the Pens prevail in 5.

The Rags will be tougher to play against than the Jackets.  Again I think it comes down to goaltending.  MAF vs Sir. Henry.  My gut says Pens in 6, however, there is no reason why the Rags can't win this series.  Yeah I know the Pens dominated the Rags during the regular season, but then again the Rags over the past few seasons have owned the Flyers and we all know this past series went 7.  No reason the Pens and Rags can't go 7 games also,

My gut says Pens in 6

I'll be rooting for the Rags in 7

other than an edge in goaltending there is not one area where the Rangers match up well with the Penguins . I think the Pens **** them up.  barring an epic meltdown from the "flower" this is the best chance Pgh has to reach the cup finals.... Boston / Montreal winner will be beat to hell after that series all the Pens need to do is play their game vs the Rangers...then clean up the mess that's left from the Atlantic finals.

Pens win, easily.

@mojo1917 

I hope you're right, but I don't see the Bruins wilting playing the Habs, and they're a resilient bunch.  The Pens just absorbed 50+ hits per game from the Jackets, so they could use a little less physicality from the Rangers.  

The Rags can't beat the Pens, the Pens can't beat the Flyers, and the Flyers can't beat the Rags. Seems like that "vicious cycle" has been going on for 20 years. I think the Pens will pull it out in 6. Now my stomach is upset...

Have some Pepto Bylsma...

I question how healthy the penguins are up the middle. I'm going with the Rangers in 6

They have 6 centers... Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Goc, Vitale and Adams. If Sutter and Vitale are still on the shelf after a week off, they should have the depth to overcome it.

@Polaris922

Pretty severe drop off in ability after the first two guys on your list...put it this way , no one is game planning for a Pens team that goes Sutter, Goc, and Vitale down the middle. Even Malkin , Sutter and Goc is quite a drop . You're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

It doesn't matter the Pens will win this series going away.

Edited by mojo1917

Consider this a general discussion thread for Round 2 of the Penguins vs Rangers.

The Penguins have won all 4 of the previous playoff series between these two teams. However in the regular season they have split each winning one game in regulation and one in a shootout.

The Penguin's greatest assets are its forwards Crosby and Malkin, while the Rangers rely on their strength in net by Lundqvist.  

Who will win the Metropolitan division title?

Okay, first of all, I'm going to make a bold prediction.   I'm going to guarantee you HF, that the Pens WILL win the Metropolitan division title this season.  If you can find someone take that bet, I'll finance you on it.

To the series, my feel is its going to be a low scoring one.  The Rags don't score at a high rate, and will probably start the series in a defensive shell on the road.

I'm hoping that the series will not degenerate into a clutch and trap fest in the neutral zone.   Rags obviously have the advantage in goaltending, I hope the Pens duo of Crosby and Malkin can neutralize that early and often.

@Polaris922

Pretty severe drop off in ability after the first two guys on your list...put it this way , no one is game planning for a Pens team that goes Sutter, Goc, and Vitale down the middle. Even Malkin , Sutter and Goc is quite a drop . You're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

It doesn't matter the Pens will win this series going away.

There will always be a drop after Crosby/Malkin. Sutter however has outperformed Staal in his role of defensive center, and Goc is actually one of the most underrated defensive centers in the league. Adams and Vitale are just patchwork guys but they bring PK work and ethic to the bottom 6. Just meant we have the depth right now to beat any team out there at the center position. I don't think it's a weakness.

Well that was a strange game. Streaks of don't give a **** and then streaks of domination. They're always bad after a long break. This team proves it needs to stay on the ice with regularity to play well. Tonight was disheartening, but if they could nearly win with that poor of an effort, I still think we take this series.

Well that was a strange game. Streaks of don't give a **** and then streaks of domination. They're always bad after a long break. This team proves it needs to stay on the ice with regularity to play well. Tonight was disheartening, but if they could nearly win with that poor of an effort, I still think we take this series.

Big lack of effort on two of thoso\e goals by the defense in front of Fleury.  THe last goal, both Scuds and Kunitz made the soft crappy clearing attempts that have drove me nuts all year. 

THe fact that they almost won that game, there is loads to be optimistic about.  But they better have some better effort.

Only Game 1 yes, but damn did those Rangers give the Pens everything they could handle...and then some.

Highly energized, the Rangers were, and when the team is getting contributions in the form of goals and assists from a guy like Benoit Pouliot, look out.

Keeping the Pens' big guns basically off the scoreboard was pretty impressive as well, though one can't honestly expect Crosby and Malkin to stay quiet goal-wise for the duration of the series.

Henrik Lundquist looked every bit the Vezina type goale he was before and while guys like Rick Nash and MSL have yet to really 'wake up', for the Rangers and their fans, it is good to see the team take it to the Pens like they did.

Pens did turn up the heat later in the game, but again, with Henrik Lundquist playing at his best, one has to like NY's chances of staying competitive throughout the series.

Hey, it's still possible for the Pens to win the next 4 straight...but for anyone who thought "Pens take this easily"...umm, I think not, at least not if the Rangers play the way they did in Game 1.

Only Game 1 yes, but damn did those Rangers give the Pens everything they could handle...and then some.

Highly energized, the Rangers were, and when the team is getting contributions in the form of goals and assists from a guy like Benoit Pouliot, look out.

Keeping the Pens' big guns basically off the scoreboard was pretty impressive as well, though one can't honestly expect Crosby and Malkin to stay quiet goal-wise for the duration of the series.

Henrik Lundquist looked every bit the Vezina type goale he was before and while guys like Rick Nash and MSL have yet to really 'wake up', for the Rangers and their fans, it is good to see the team take it to the Pens like they did.

Pens did turn up the heat later in the game, but again, with Henrik Lundquist playing at his best, one has to like NY's chances of staying competitive throughout the series.

Hey, it's still possible for the Pens to win the next 4 straight...but for anyone who thought "Pens take this easily"...umm, I think not, at least not if the Rangers play the way they did in Game 1.

Apparently you don't watch the Pens very often at all. Had to be one of their laziest and worst performances of the postseason. Uninspired, and not into the game at all. Even their high points were mediocre efforts. The Rangers didnt "put it" to anyone. They were outshot and outplayed for long stretches despite the lazy effort.

The Pens deserved the loss, but hardly because if the Rangers' efforts, more a lack of their own.

though one can't honestly expect Crosby and Malkin to stay quiet goal-wise score a goal for the duration of the series.

Fixed it for ya. 12 straight playoff games without scoring a goal. While the odds are in your favor the will score, if the past is an indicator of the future, its not looking too good. 

Truthfully, I think something is wrong with him. If I did not know better, I would think he was hiding a concussion. 

Fixed it for ya. 12 straight playoff games without scoring a goal. While the odds are in your favor the will score, if the past is an indicator of the future, its not looking too good.

Truthfully, I think something is wrong with him. If I did not know better, I would think he was hiding a concussion.

A lot of speculation is a wrist or hand injury. He rarely shoots the puck anymore, forcing passes where there shouldn't be one. This past game he actually put a couple on net, but they were either odd angle backhands or didnt have much velocity on them. Is puck handling was notably bad his last few regular season games as well... So it kind of makes sense.

The ONLY thing the Penguins have going for them right now is the Rangers having to play their 5th game in 8 days and 6th in 9 tomorrow.  Rangers still will smash the Penguins into pieces

@nossagog

@Polaris922

We're good now. Rick made his prediction. :wacko:

The ONLY thing the Penguins have going for them right now is the Rangers having to play their 5th game in 8 days and 6th in 9 tomorrow. Rangers still will smash the Penguins into pieces

Did you watch Game 1? The Pens barely tried and still almost won it. 1-1 series after tonight.

@B21

He's been right before! I just can't remember when!

Did you watch Game 1? The Pens barely tried and still almost won it. 1-1 series after tonight.

@B21

He's been right before! I just can't remember when!

He did say that Miller would be a big difference maker for the Blues, he just didn't say in which way. :ph34r: