Round 2 - Penguins vs Rangers

hf101

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win this playoff series?

LOL -

IF the Rangers continue to play inspired hockey as they did in Game 5 the Rangers may just be the better TEAM or at least maybe the better coached team. ;)

The Rags brought it, and the Pens didn't seem to care from the start. That has been a bad habit this team has in any series they have a commanding lead. I call it a sense if entitlement, but its like they just expect their opponent to roll over and die.

The Rangers do play differently with the lead... they start to clog up the neutral zone and they, as a team, do do a nice job of getting their sticks in passing lanes and "the way" .

and the rags  finally got the idea that pressuring the defense physically can work vs the Pens,  they're better at keeping their composure, but they can be rendered less effective with a physical forecheck.

I also thought they took a lot of liberties with 87 last night, and that worked too, he's been good at keeping himself in check so far,  I though he had turned a corner when he didn't rise to Dubinsky's challenge vs CBJ but that was mostly (mostly) whistle to whistle, the Rangers started in really roughing him up anytime he was on the ice and that does bother him.  

I still think the Pens show up either Sunday or Tuesday and advance though.  I don't see the Rangers being able to maintain the type of play from game 5 for 2 more games, it is not in their character. 

Funny, as compared to other games, I actually thought they were quite mild on him last night.  Not one single crosscheck or elbow to the head.   It will be telling though to see if he can keep his cool.  I realy wanted to see them put Engellend in the lineup on wing last night, and have him return the favor to Staal.  Funny how the Rags got cocky and chirped away as the game went on.  They tried to goad him a couple of times. 

Game 7 here we come.......give the Rags credit.  Pens have got to be feeling the heat .....  Should be a heck of a game. 

So can the Rags win game 7?

Right now doc, anything can happen, the pens are playing a purely outside game in the offensive zone, and don't want to work the front of the net. Same on their power play.  They need to want it.  DFB also needs to break up Crosby and Malkin, its just not effective, and its taking Neal right out of the game. 

Lundqvist improves to 11 and 2 in games facing elimination.  The Rangers have been able to elevate their play since being down 3 games to 1 and the Penguins haven't matched that effort.  

The Rangers win Game 7.

DFB refuses to adjust any facet of the game.

How many times did Lundqvist leave a rebound at his feet but the only player going there is Kunitz... Occasionally. The Rags are roughing up the Pens, and the Pens are getting penalized for it.

I have to ask... Does the NHL just want a game 7 or do they really want the Rags to move on? That was extremely lopsided officiating. The obstruction and punitive calls are horrendous.

I credit Lundqvist with great play. He deserves it. But the Pens have to overcome the officials, obstruction, cheap shots AND Lundqvist to win game 7. The Pens are the better team, but can they overcome all that? I think so, but I thought they'd win game 6 too...

I have to admit, I am surprised by this result. I didn't think the Rangers had very much moxie but it appears I am mistaken.

I think Crosby is hurt, I think the extra attention he's been receiving is effecting him .

The momentum is with NYR now, never thought I'd be typing those words.

Pens really need to get some players in front of Lundqvist. Like @nossagog said, their perimeter game isn't working.

Anyway, I believe Pens will win Game 7.

PS: @Polaris922 , I believe the NHL just really want Rags to move on... If they win the Stanley Cup, more Rags caps will be sold around the world haha (I live in Portugal and I see like 3 kids per day using a Rangers cap just because it's cool... they probably don't even know NYR is a hockey team).

Edited by Element

Pens really need to get some players in front of Lundqvist. Like @nossagog said, their perimeter game isn't working.

Anyway, I believe Pens will win Game 7.

PS: @Polaris922 , I believe the NHL just really want Rags to move on... If they win the Stanley Cup, more Rags caps will be sold around the world haha (I live in Portugal and I see like 3 kids per day using a Rangers cap just because it's cool... they probably don't even know they are a hockey team).

It's not my style to point the finger at the refs, but this series the calls have been woefully lopsided. They're ignoring so much obstruction and any physical response by the Pens to the Rags is met with an instant penalty. It's not both ways like it had been in the Jackets series.

I still believe the Pens will wake up and win it. Despite Lundqvist and despite the officiating. The Pens are a much better team.

I have to ask... Does the NHL just want a game 7 or do they really want the Rags to move on? That was extremely lopsided officiating. The obstruction and punitive calls are horrendous.

I credit Lundqvist with great play. He deserves it. But the Pens have to overcome the officials, obstruction, cheap shots AND Lundqvist to win game 7. The Pens are the better team, but can they overcome all that?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....you sound just like a Flyer fan. :lol:

• Like 2

There is not much from the Pens play the last 2 games that leads me to believe they "will/should" win. Their best chances last night came short handed or with an extra attacker, 5 on 5 the Rangers have been better * vomit* .

The NHL should really reexamine the goalie interference penalty, IMO the refs have blown that call nearly every time it has come up, this has worked against both teams, Krieder's penalty last night , but has hurt the Pens more.

Lundquist was great in the last 2+ minutes when the pens had the extra attacker, prior to that he was just in the way, i know he saw a lot of shots , but he did see them and most were from low percentage scoring areas.

Should be at least an interesting game 7 on Tuesday .

It's over. Put a fork in them.  I'm all about the glass being half full and I think they are toast. Finito. Kaput. Morte.

If I am Barry Trotz I leave my phone lines open for the next week (wishful thinking).

I have to admit, I am surprised by this result. I didn't think the Rangers had very much moxie but it appears I am mistaken.

I think Crosby is hurt, I think the extra attention he's been receiving is effecting him .

The momentum is with NYR now, never thought I'd be typing those words.

We'll find out if he's hurt after they lose tonight.

He's clearly frustrated now as evidenced by the slew on Girardi and spear on Krieder (at least I think it was Kreider). 

Other than funny, what did everyone think of Lundquist spraying Crosby with water? I mean he had it coming to him, and it's not like it's a cheapshot. But do they need to address this (It happened already this postseason against Subban) Is this unsportsmanlike or just hilarious? I just don't want to see it happening over and over.

@flyercanuck

funny you should post that...I just posted about the Thornton / Subban incident.  If they need to be equal...then yes the precedent has been set.  Sir Henry needs to make a donation the NHL fund.

Edited by pilldoc

@pilldoc

As I just  mentioned in the Subban/Thornton thread, that was during the play, so it's slightly different IMO. Water doesn't hurt anyone, but during the play it can effect the game. But I guess they should nip this in the bud.