2014 Entry Draft - Who do the Flyers choose?

OccamsRazor

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm quite content with this club sitting at 17. There's going to be a very good player available. Every year, there's always a player that drops and there's always a player that rises.

My biggest concern is this club trying to make a big splash because the draft is in Philadelphia, but I'm also feeling comfortable in that Hextall has turned down media requests so that he can focus on the draft

I really think the biggest moves we see from this club are sending Vinny Lecavalier and Nicklas Grossmann packing.

• Like 1

I'd be ok with that, BCF. I'd also be ok with a well reasoned move up, especially if they can somehow use one of the players you name instead of a pick to do it. What I don't want to see is the team to reach for a need.

I say when our turn to pick comes, if the remaining players are close in ratings by our staff, we have to go with defense. Defense and goaltending have been our Achilles heel for the last 25 years. We have been trading for defensman for the past 25 years..Howe, Haller, mcCrimmon, svododa, markhov , Desjardins, Grossman, kubina,Pronger, Schenn,Timmo, galley, Benning. Too many to even list. We do have 3 good prospects in Haag, Morin and Ghost, but to think that all 3 picks are gonna be home runs is a pipe dream. One of these guys could easily be a lemon. Remember this is a franchise that has not drafted an impact defenseman since Behn Wilson in 78.

Defense is like pitching in baseball, you can never have enough. It seems obvious we are gonna trade B Schenn and it should be for defense. Eve if we dump VLC we still have Giroux , Coots and Laugton , so B Schenn will get us a better return than Laughton and were strapped for cap space. So only time will tell.

We do have 3 good prospects in Haag, Morin and Ghost, but to think that all 3 picks

Yes key word is prospects....so until one or two cracks the lineup i don't think you can count them yet. But i think they have to be leaning defense....of course till someone they like falls then you never know what they play on doing.

I'm not sure if anyone saw the video on TSN yesterday about Sonny Milano, but holy crap, what hand to eye co-ordination. Here's a link to the clip:

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Stick%20Tricks%20with%20Sonny%20Milano&id=453448

Bet there's going to be numerous teams who's interest will really be piqued now and teams that were interested are probably even more interested now.

I'm not sure if anyone saw the video on TSN yesterday about Sonny Milano, but holy crap, what hand to eye co-ordination. Here's a link to the clip:

http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Stick%20Tricks%20with%20Sonny%20Milano&id=453448

Bet there's going to be numerous teams who's interest will really be piqued now and teams that were interested are probably even more interested now.

That was pretty impressive but get he put it in the net or is he a high and wide Crater type!!!!!!!!!!??????  :ph34r:

Edit: Since you 're new here Crater is the name given to Jeff Carter!!! Not even sure who was the first to bestow that name on him.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Lol....I actually work with Crater's mom. True story. When Crater got traded, I was the one who broke the news to her because no one had contacted her to tell her that Jeff was traded. She thought I was lying and I had to show her the story on TSN. As for Milano, his hands are gold. He's a legitimate goal scorer. Should be fun to watch him, Alex Tuch and Jack Eichel all play on the same line in Boston College next year.

Lol....I actually work with Crater's mom. True story. When Crater got traded, I was the one who broke the news to her because no one had contacted her to tell her that Jeff was traded. She thought I was lying and I had to show her the story on TSN. As for Milano, his hands are gold. He's a legitimate goal scorer. Should be fun to watch him, Alex Tuch and Jack Eichel all play on the same line in Boston College next year.

Whoa... just a minute there! You can't drop a bombshell like that and expect to get away clean. We want some dirt. THE dirt. Party boy or no?  :ph34r:

• Like 1

I'd rather see him doing anything it takes to dig a puck out of a corner in an actual game and scoring. Standing in a parking lot showing off doesn't really apply to on ice action much. Obviously he has hands, but...meh.

That said he should still be on the Flyers radar...but absolutely NOT for his parking lot showboating, but because he's a skilled LWer.

Whoa... just a minute there! You can't drop a bombshell like that and expect to get away clean. We want some dirt. THE dirt. Party boy or no?  :ph34r:

I agree....what DO YOU know! ;)

oh by the way @BobbyClarkeFan16 welcome!  I haven't posted in a while busy at work.  We have a bunch of great posters here!  Don't forget to join us in game chat.  I'm sure a bunch of us will be in here come Draft Night.

Edited by pilldoc

He likes to drink beer, but the reports of him showing up to practice late or hung over are completely false. The guy is a gym rat and work out fanatic. You can't be in the shape he's in and drink till there's no tomorrow and it not having an affect. He's a really nice, well behaved and well spoken dude. When he brought the Stanley Cup to a work function, I was wearing my Flyers hat at the time and he said that if he could go back in time, he would have done a few things differently and would have associated himself with other guys on the club. I think Jeff got lumped into the party crowd because he was guilty by association more than anything. 

He likes to drink beer, but the reports of him showing up to practice late or hung over are completely false. The guy is a gym rat and work out fanatic. You can't be in the shape he's in and drink till there's no tomorrow and it not having an affect. He's a really nice, well behaved and well spoken dude. When he brought the Stanley Cup to a work function, I was wearing my Flyers hat at the time and he said that if he could go back in time, he would have done a few things differently and would have associated himself with other guys on the club. I think Jeff got lumped into the party crowd because he was guilty by association more than anything. 

fair assesment.....hingsight is always 20/20.

Interesting. I always thought those rumors were a bit overblown although I don't doubt that some of them enjoyed life in the big city. Thanks for the insight.

That is very interesting info. It kinda makes me hate Carter a bit less, knowing that he was not joined at the hip with Richards.....or at least, willing to move on from the party crowd. I had this mental image of Jeff and Mike defiantly downing case after case and to hell with the consequences.

Small world, the daughter of Carters billets during his time with the Sault lives in my building. I was wearing my Carter jersey (don't wear it much anymore, but broke it out on this day) and she explained her parents time with Jeff.

He likes to drink beer, but the reports of him showing up to practice late or hung over are completely false.

EEEEEwwwwwww nasty disgusting stuff..BEER.... that heathen...how dare he.......i knew it...i knew it.

The nerve and i bet he was chasing tail everywhere STOP...stop it.......i would never  ;) .....i can't take anymore now i have to go to confession.......................... :ph34r:

A good read on some of the college kids at the combine.......enjoy.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-draft-combine-ncaa-commits-make-their-mark/

They’re not the type of players that jump straight to the NHL as teenagers, but the prospects that head to the NCAA ranks have been growing in both number and quality lately. Because their development takes a bit longer, often these players are available in the middle rounds of the draft, but they still get to the NHL.

At the draft combine in Toronto, many college commits were in the early groups for fitness testing. Brown University commit Tyler Bird, a power forward from Kimball Union Academy in New England, was actually the 2014 guinea pig for his peers.

“I was the first guy to finish and do all the events, so that was a little nerve-wracking,” Bird said. “But it was good to get out of the way and it was a good experience.”

The Andover, Mass. product will join the Bears for 2014-15, fast-tracking his commitment to the school after Kimball Union won its league title.

“They were going to see how I did my senior year,” he said. “After the championship it was decided it would be best that I go in next year; I can be a big contributor and help out the team.”

Brandon Hickey was a big help to his Spruce Grove Saints team this season. The Boston University commit helped the Alberta Jr. A squad to a 42-10-3 record, plus a playoff championship. He’ll be head out east next season after doing a lot of research. Hickey also visited Michigan State, but ultimately loved Boston’s campus and facilities. The Terriers are in a bit of rebuild, but have an excellent freshman class coming in that also includes top 2015 prospect Jack Eichel and Jonathan MacLeod, who is also up with Hickey in 2014.

“The rebuilding thing is key, actually,” Hickey said. “You get to play quite a bit your first year, so you can get used to that NCAA speed and pace. That will really help with my development.”

Even though he may not be as well known to fans as some of the big names from major junior, Hickey doesn’t have to worry about his cred with NHL scouts; they love his skating and his ability to move the puck as a blueliner. But if teams wanted to get to know him better at the combine, he was happy to be oblige during interviews.

“They do their work pretty well,” Hickey said. “They dig into your character, which is a huge thing in the dressing room. It’s a huge thing knowing what kind of person you’re bringing into your organization.”

Miles Gendron wasn’t going to let teams forget him: The New England prep schooler wore neon orange sneakers to the combine, knowing he had the chance to make a big impression.

“For sure it was a big deal,” he said. “Coming from a smaller school you don’t get as much exposure as the CHL guys.”

Gendron played for ex-NHLer Shawn McEachern this year at the Rivers School, which has not traditionally been a powerhouse. But after starting his prep school career as a fourth-line left winger, Gendron switched up to defense when the team hit a spate of injuries and now NHL teams are intrigued (though some scouts still prefer him as a forward) by his puck-moving skills from the back end.

Gendron will go to the B.C. Jr. A League next year before heading off to the University of Connecticut. The Huskies are the newest members of Hockey East and that jump in competition from the Atlantic Hockey conference was a factor in his choice.

“The Hockey East switch was a huge part of it, playing against the best competition,” he said. “I really liked the coaching staff and the campus is awesome. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to play right away as a freshman on the power play and PK.”

That’s two years out, but if NHL teams are patient, they may pick up a gem next month in Philadelphia. That’s the hope with all three players and the long-term potential they all possess.

Panthers Looking To Move Top Pick - What's Your Offer?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dan-Spiegel/Panthers-Looking-To-Move-Top-Pick---Whats-Your-Offer/93/60352

In my opinion, only a bonafide top RW will be acceptable in terms of trading out of the #1 spot. RW is the thinnest position on the team with Scottie Upshall, Brad Boyes, and RFA Jimmy Hayes the only starters on the roster. On the left side is Fleischmann, Huberdeau, Kopecky, and Bergenheim. All of them are under contract next season. It does not mean an upgrade wouldn't be welcome on the left side, but the right should be the focus.

So with this in mind and i'm just throwing this out there would you do this: Jake and other pieces for a shot at Aye-aye-ron ( for you FC )

Not saying i would do this or am unhappy with Jake just since this is a slow day just gauging interest....what say you?

HHHHHHhhhhhhhhmmmmm a hard one.

Thoughts, whines and complaints welcome....

Edited by OccamsRazor

Another draft clip....

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=721311&navid=DL|PHI|home

TORONTO -- Unpredictability is the word that would describe the perfect storm that's about to hit Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia at the 2014 NHL Draft, which starts June 27.

Will the Florida Panthers keep the No. 1 pick and opt for the projected best draft-eligible defenseman, Aaron Ekblad of the Barrie Colts?

Would that open the door for the Buffalo Sabres to select a Doug Gilmour clone, Samuel Bennett of the Kingston Frontenacs?

Gilmour played parts of two seasons for Buffalo and was a fan favorite.

"My dad's favorite player was Gilmour, so he just naturally taught me to play like Doug, and that's the style I play," Bennett said. "I'm a laid-back guy off the ice but on the ice I've played with a mean streak. That's the way I've been taught and that's the way I think hockey should be played."

Bennett, No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's list of the top North American skaters eligible for the 2014 draft, was one of six top prospects on hand at the NHL Scouting Combine national media availability Friday. The Combine ends Saturday with fitness tests at the Toronto International Centre.

The players participating in the meet-and-greet with the media were defenseman Ekblad; centers Bennett, Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice and Leon Draisaitl of the Prince Albert Raiders; left wing Michael Dal Colle of the Oshawa Generals; and right wing Kasperi Kapanen of Kalpa in Finland.

If the Edmonton Oilers have their sights set on power-forward Draisaitl with the No. 3 choice, does that mean the Calgary Flames would use the No. 4 pick on Reinhart, the son of Paul Reinhart who spent eight seasons in Alberta?

If the Flames prefer Dal Colle with that pick, there's a chance Reinhart could join his brother, defenseman Griffin Reinhart, with the New York Islanders. The Islanders hold the No. 5 pick.

"It is a possibility and I've been aware of that for quite some time," Sam Reinhart said. "It would pretty cool to be with him. It's a lot easier to play with him than against him."

If the Panthers decide to trade their pick, perhaps Kapanen is in their crosshairs. No. 1 on NHL Central Scouting's list of the top international skaters, he is good friends with Alexander Barkov, who was selected by the Panthers with the second pick in the 2013 draft.

"Well, every interview has been good at the Combine and no one interview has been more interesting than the other," Kapanen said. "But when I talked to [the Panthers], we had a good meeting and they said they wanted to get me there because I'd help [barkov] with his English, so I'd be that guy. Other than that, all the interviews went well.

"[barkov] and me talk a lot and he actually sent me a couple of messages prior to the Combine to make sure I enjoy it. To see a friend go that early in the draft was great, but I also would like to be that high."

Ekblad had a successful career in the Ontario Hockey League. The 6-foot-3, 216-pound right-handed shot was granted exceptional-player status by Hockey Canada to be eligible for the 2011 OHL priority selection draft as a 15-year-old. That's a year younger than the standard age of 16.

He was selected by the Colts with the No. 1 pick in 2011, and had 10 goals and 29 points in 63 games, was named OHL Rookie of the Year and was selected to the OHL All-Rookie Team. In three OHL seasons, Ekblad had 40 goals, 116 points, 189 penalty minutes and a plus-31 rating in 175 regular-season games.

"It feels like a long time ago when I was granted exceptional-player status," Ekblad said. "I played a lot of years in the OHL and met a lot of great people along the way. I can't thank enough those people who helped me and supported me during my time [in the OHL]."

The first round of the 2014 NHL Draft is Friday, June 27. Rounds 2-7 will be Saturday. Unpredictability is what the prospects anticipate and what NHL scouts expect.

"For me, personally, I worked my way up into that top class of this group and being around them [this week], I feel I belong there and I'm confident in my abilities," Dal Colle said. "I don't get caught up too much in the mock drafts or anything like that. I know I'm No. 5 on Central Scouting's list right now, but it's all interchangeable.

"I'm ready for anything."

I'm really hoping that Hexy values skating and compete level above all else, cause without those 2 key components, you got nothing. The wheels ie getting from point A to point B is obviously super important. No more slow players, no more players with weak work ethic. Passion and commitment have to be more valued, even if it means passing up kids with a better skill set.

A nice Bleacher Report story on 5 potential Flyer targets at the draft in Philly. Geez, I want one of these talented LW'ers to fall somehow. Milano looks interesting, and this Demko kid (although I don't think Goalie is the way to go)...he looks more intriguing every time I read about him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Stralman-Looking-at-a-Big-Raise/1/60346

Howdy:

Putting aside whom to pick, backtrack and ask what mode is Hextall in? Is he really going to keep this core? Or does he basically say other than Giroux, Voracek,Simmonds, and Raffl (he's cheap) anyone is expendable? Seriously--if this D is as bad as everyone thinks, and our prospects will take 2-3 years...everything is possible? But I don't see Tallon giving up his top rung picks.  

We didn't think Richards are Carter were going anywhere, right? 

Howie

Howdy:

Putting aside whom to pick, backtrack and ask what mode is Hextall in? Is he really going to keep this core? Or does he basically say other than Giroux, Voracek,Simmonds, and Raffl (he's cheap) anyone is expendable? Seriously--if this D is as bad as everyone thinks, and our prospects will take 2-3 years...everything is possible? But I don't see Tallon giving up his top rung picks.  

We didn't think Richards are Carter were going anywhere, right? 

Howie

In fairness, Couturier and Mason are also on that list. Hextall has a legitimate nice base to work with in terms of prospects and younger players. I don't think guys who are younger than 27 are going to be moved if Hextall decides to retool. I think you're going to see guys like Hartnell, Lecavalier, Read, Grossmann, maybe Coburn, be guys that Hextall will look at moving. I know Hextall has also said he wasn't going to blow things up on the big club because he said he liked the roster that Holmgren put together, but there needs to be some tweaking of the roster and that the farm system needs to be vastly improved. Hextall played a huge role in the LA Kings farm system when he was the assistant GM there, so you can bet he's going to seek to improve the farm immediately. 

I don't think Hextall is going to go free agent shopping either. The Flyers have about 7 million in cap room and with big contracts like Vinny and Grossmann on the roster, it limits his flexibility in terms of what he can do. That's part of the reason I honestly believe that he'll deal both them. Hextall will want some cap flexibility as well as get some half decent prospects for them. Part of me hopes that if Hextall can move Vinny to Nashville, that the rights to Del Zotto come the other way. I think he'd be a guy who would benefit from John Paddock's coaching (the guy has been an excellent coach when it comes to developing defensemen). As well, if Hextall can deal Grossmann for picks or B level prospects, that would be something that would help add to the farm. It also frees up a spot for a guy like Alt, who's upside is that of a legitimate second pairing defenseman. 

I know there was talk that with the draft being in Philadelphia that the Flyers were probably going to make a big splash. I honestly don't see them doing that with Hextall on board. He seems to be really committed to building through the draft and I think that's going to be the m.o. going forward.

By the way, i still hope it's Robby Fabri from Guelph who they end up drafting. I'll say this right now. For all the talk that Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett get, I think Fabri is right up there with them in terms of skill and compete level. This guy is a legit talent that if teams are patient with him, they'll be rewarded greatly. He's a little light right now, but the weight will come.