Crosby to Have Wrist Surgery

So the truth of it is that Sid Crosby needs wrist surgery, and was injured throughout the playoffs. It's arthroscopic so no games are expected to be missed.

Wonder if that's what was wrong those last few regular season games as some of us noted?

Wonder if that's what was wrong those last few regular season games as some of us noted?

Wow...he went so far as to have surgery to cover his short comings last season.......... :hocky:

or

Well i am not sure where I have heard this before but injuries are not an excuse for poor play...... :o

It does not surprise me that he had injuries and they kept him off the board but I am surprised it took this long for that info to surface.

Caveat: the first 2 statements were tongue in cheek......before B21 has to rush to defend his man......

on one more note, Is it possible that B21 and "Regis"  are one in the same?

@Polaris922

I'm looking for the quote where he blames the injury on other players taking liberties on faceoffs. Can't seem to find it. :ph34r:

Come to think of it - I can't find any quotes from him about this.  How spoiled of him. ;)

Well i am not sure where I have heard this before but injuries are not an excuse for poor play...... :o

So Giroux just plain sucked for the first 25% of the season? ;)  Because I though for sure that 90% of the Flyers fans here attributed his offseason wrist injuries and recovery as a reason for the historically bad start he had.  Maybe his arse-grabbing this offseason was meant to strengthen the wrists? (The mileage on that hasn't even started yet. :D )

(FWIW - I'm not on the injuries-are-not-an-excuse-for-poor-play bandwagon. I think they can be.)

So the truth of it is that Sid Crosby needs wrist surgery, and was injured throughout the playoffs. It's arthroscopic so no games are expected to be missed.

I will take my O*B blinders off for second and say WTF? Did he have the surgery or he is going to undergo the surgery. If the later, as a pens fan I would be pissed. 

@flyerrod

The lengths I will go to just to say I was right! Lol. I'm tellin ya it started just a few games shy if the end of the season.

@B21

Actually it's an old injury he got from slashing Giroux's wrists so hard!

@Vanflyer

They said arthroscopic and he shouldn't even miss camp let alone relevant time so nothing to be upset about. They probably were trying to see if they could avoid surgery.

• Like 1

They said arthroscopic and he shouldn't even miss camp let alone relevant time so nothing to be upset about. They probably were trying to see if they could avoid surgery.

Far enough. BTW- do you guys have a "town hall" for STH like the Flyers do? It would be interesting this yeas with all the changes. 

• Like 1

Far enough. BTW- do you guys have a "town hall" for STH like the Flyers do? It would be interesting this yeas with all the changes.

Yes but I haven't made it there in years. My work schedule over the summer is crazy. I've had 18 hour shifts the past couple days. I'm "off" tomorrow but have 9 hours overtime. And probably work 18 Friday. Lol

one could tell he wasn't himself in the playoffs... 87 uncharacteristically whiffed on shots, and mishandled the puck especially on the rush.

@B21

perhaps the injuries were sustained in a different manner than Giroux's.  

Maybe the Pens trainer was consulting with Jimmy "the groin" McCrossin who said," put an ace bandage on it... an old one with the metal fasteners not the new fangled adhesive type ".

in general the witch doctors these teams employ as trainers don't leave me feeling confident about caring for a players health.

The whole "it is broken but no further damage can be done so let's tape it up" thing shortens careers and is stupid.

Hogwash! Crosby did not injure his wrists in the playoffs, the injury happened during the tug-a-thon at the Regis McGuire compound :ph34r:

I heard he injured it swatting Giroux's hand away repeatedly.... ;)

• Like 1

one could tell he wasn't himself in the playoffs... 87 uncharacteristically whiffed on shots, and mishandled the puck especially on the rush.

@B21

perhaps the injuries were sustained in a different manner than Giroux's.  

Maybe the Pens trainer was consulting with Jimmy "the groin" McCrossin who said," put an ace bandage on it... an old one with the metal fasteners not the new fangled adhesive type ".

in general the witch doctors these teams employ as trainers don't leave me feeling confident about caring for a players health.

The whole "it is broken but no further damage can be done so let's tape it up" thing shortens careers and is stupid.

I'd link to think trainers these days are more in tuned with "modern" medicine and don't have the mentality of trainers 20-30 years ago (like you said - "tape it up and get back out there") but it sure seems that way at times.

I saw this blog by Ryan Wilson of some of the impact of Crosby's injury.  He also suggests the injury took  place shortly after March 31st where he scored his last goal until he scored against the Rangers in the playoffs.

gFSN8AV.jpg

4Xpr2SQ.jpg

qOUPaEa.jpg

Mike Colligan reports that Crosby looked strong in his games against the Blackhawks and then the Jets two days later.  He probably played his worst game all season against the Wild and then sat out the Colorado game.   

So if anyone has recordings of those two games - Jets or Wild- you probably can find where he may have been injured.

• Like 1

@hf101  This explains a whole lot. Players of his ilk just do not dry up and go *that* long without bulging the twine. If any Flyer fan thinks this is an excuse, please take off the orange glasses, he was hurt, it's painfully obvious.

• Like 2

Wouldn't be surprised if this happened in the Olympics.  The Olympic games this time was a slashfest that injured several players.  Its the kind of reason the owners need to tell the NHL NOT to send their players to the Olympics.

• Like 1

Now he WON'T have surgery...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726232

So no wrist surgery for now, I would have thought he'd have already tried injection therapy by now.  Especially if this injury took place several months ago.  Seems kinda late to go after possible surgery late in the summer if needed.   I also read he had some shoulder injury in the the playoffs and will not have shoulder surgery either.

ah... next year's excuse.   :P

So no wrist surgery for now, I would have thought he'd have already tried injection therapy by now. Especially if this injury took place several months ago. Seems kinda late to go after possible surgery late in the summer if needed. I also read he had some shoulder injury in the the playoffs and will not have shoulder surgery either.

ah... next year's excuse. :P

He has an infection. Stinky finger syndrome... Oh wait... ;)