Bobby Ryan re-signs for 7 years, $50.75M

brelic

Gross overpayment. At least Paul Holmgren isn't:

A) A General Manager

B) The one that inked that contract. 

It is a little steep in my opinion especially for a right winger, but at the end of the day they needed to retain some talent. 

I think Ryan showed last year that he doesn't really create his own game but he clearly is a 30-goal+ scorer with the right linemates.

Getting players to accompany him in Ottawa  will be the key.

I think it is also a factor of a team wanting to make a statement to a fanbase. Which is also rarely a good idea.

Think Vanek in Buffalo - they "couldn't afford" to lose him especially right after Drury and Briere left. The Sens have seen Alfie and Spezza essentially run away.

If Ryan morphs back into a 30/70 player, the $7+M tag isn't all that bad. If he stays at 20/50, it's a disaster.

Great deal for Ryan, wow, I think he got more money than he would have obtained next summer as a free agent.

I think Ottawa had to take a risk here and at least now have a core to move forward with to attract other free agents in the future.

I think Ryan would have got this kinda money next summer. In a lot of ways, he had the Sens over the barrel. What would the season ticket base have thought if Spezza and Ryan both left within a year of each other?

Admittedly, Ryan does not play a all round kinda game, but since 2009, he is 5th in goals scored by right wingers during that time frame. Only Kessel and 3 others have scored more goals since 09, so that is one way to view this, he does put the biscuit in the basket.

since 2009, he is 5th in goals scored by right wingers during that time frame.

And last year he wasn't even in the top 50 (forwards) - injury notwithstanding. Neither was he Top 50 in goals (forwards) in 12-13.

The Sens were "over a barrel" - but it was a barrel of their own making. And if that barrel is going over Niagara Falls, it might be better to just let it go.

Again, if Ryan returns to form - and he'll need a C/W combo like Getzlaf and Perry (neither of whom dropped off significantly without him) to do it - the $7M number won't be that bad for them. If he doesn't, that's a seven year deal staring them in the face.

@radoran  I totally get what you are saying, without a dominant center, Bobbys numbers take quite the nosedive. Yes, they overpaid, but if you take Ryan out of the offensive picture in Ottawa, you are left with some putrid results. Bad enough losing Spezza, but losing Ryan would make the team dependent on Michalek, which in and of itself is a total joke. I can see the Sens line of thinking, they took a huge risk and they are hoping and praying that Kyle Turris takes the next step in the evolution process and becomes that force that can keep Bobbys goal and point totals buzzing.

Ryans agent seems to have taken advantage of the fact that the Sens really needed this extension. Their fans needed it, a commitment from somebody other than a 3rd liner that they want to stay and help build a contender.

@jammer2 Completely agree on their motivations, questioning their choices.

I look at a team that went all in on Spezza, for example. And Alfredsson. I see a team chasing the 1-B player and never really landing a 1-A guy.

Even Karlsson, for all his production, really isn't the "true #1" in an all around sense that most people see in a Weber, Suter, Chara mold.

And, oh yeah, they gave up on Chara, too.

Ryan to me just isn't a cornerstone of a franchise.

I agree he'd get his money, and that if he has a 30+ season again, his number might have gone up. But Ottawa just committed seven years to him. And they still need to find "the guy to go with him." Turris might emerge, but I see him in the same 1-B mold.

And Ryan hasn't proven that he can be a 30/70 guy without help. Yes, few players can. But if making the move they "had to make" this year is a seven year problem, it's a valid question if it is worth it.

Sound familiar?

Having Ryan doesn't, to me, make the franchise a competitor. They're still on the middling edge. Much like the Vanek example in Buffalo. Vanek and a bunch of Staffords, Roys and Connollys just ain't gonna get it done.

And much like Vanek wasn't an attraction for a true #1-A center, I don't know that Ryan is either.

But he just might keep them hovering around the low lottery, almost playoffs purgatory that fanbases lose patience with.

• 2 weeks later...

@radoran

Similar situation to the Leafs and Kessel, methinks, minus the ludicrous amount of trade value given up to get him.

Great player on a floundering team, but not necessarily the centerpiece for a competitor.

Of course, one might argue that the Senators are closer than the Leafs, and one would not have much argument from this Leafs fan. It's hard to say, I suppose.

I still think the Sens are a ways off from being competitive, particularly since the loss of Spezza. However, those evil bastards have surprised me in the past, so I guess I won't rule it out.

Hopefully for Ottawa, the team figures itself out at some point during the 7 year contract while Ryan is still atop his game. That, or they trade him if it becomes apparent they won't be.

Archived