Eklund picks Flyers to finish 2nd in Metro

brelic

He also picks the Jackets to finish 1st. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/EXACTLY-What-Will-Happen-in-the-Metro-Complete/1/62853

#2 the Philadelphia Flyers 

If you take away the first month of last year the flyers are a top three team in the NHL. After the horrible start they had the team really picked up the pace and battled the Rangers very hard in a first round series that saw the Rangers only one goal better. The Flyers need Steve Mason and Claude Giroux to continue their pace from last year and if they do the added depth Hextall has added should make this team better than it's been for several seasons. That is of course if they stay healthy. The Flyers defense will struggle, but offensively we should see more depth and scoring from more lines. 

If you take away the first month of last year the flyers are a top three team in the NHL.

Today I'm wearing an orange dress shirt, orange t-shirt, orange socks, orange tie, Flyer cufflinks, Flyers hat, Flyers scarf and orange and black glasses and I just don't see them as a "top three team in the NHL."

Happy to be wrong.

A "top three team in the NHL" doesn't have a "defense" that "will struggle."

Hopefully it won't.

And I'm not entirely sure about "the added depth Hextall has added".

And, just for the record, the Rangers were also just "one goal better" than the Pens. And the Habs, for that matter.

Today I'm wearing an orange dress shirt, orange t-shirt, orange socks, orange tie, Flyer cufflinks, Flyers hat, Flyers scarf and orange and black glasses and I just don't see them as a "top three team in the NHL."

Happy to be wrong.

That's the beauty of actually having the play the games :) 

I just want to watch a team that works hard. Even if they're not very good, it's at least nice to see effort, progress, and future promise. 

Before the puck even drops, I'm predicting that Ghost is a regular for the Flyers by the All-star break, Grossmann will have been traded, and Del Zotto is in the doghouse (with Schultz/Alt as the occasional fill-ins).

And we win the McDavid sweeps!

I just don't see them as a "top three team in the NHL."

i took that line to mean minus the first month of the season, the flyers' record last season was better than 27 other teams.  i haven't done the math to know if that is correct, but if so, it isn't an issue of seeing them as top 3, they just were.  with the big "minus the first month" caveat.

it isn't worth a whole lot, but if true it's pretty interesting.

damn- that was  you? I tried hard to avoid running you over, but the glare was so bright.

I think you're reading it right, Aziz. I remember hearing something similar last year. Flyers might have even had the best record in the east after October, but I don't have the time right now to check the numbers.

I hate to say it but I would not be shocked if Columbus wins the Metro...  

The early injuries could really cause issues for the Jackets. I thought they had a shot at the Division during the offseason, too. Getting Johansen signed will help, at least.

The orange and black glasses were a given   :ph34r:

It all depends on Mason, Mason and oh yes, Mason but realistically, I see the Flyers as a borderline playoff team. As long as we draw Pittsburgh in the first round, we'll survive a playoff series :D .

It all depends on Mason, Mason and oh yes, Mason but realistically, I see the Flyers as a borderline playoff team. As long as we draw Pittsburgh in the first round, we'll survive a playoff series :D .

ssshhhh polaris is trolling and you'll make him cry

A agree Mason has to continue his success.   If he were in the lineup against the Rags in the frst 2 games that series could have been different.  

To me it all comes down to defense.  This group has to find a way to be average and I think they will be a playoff team.   The defense it the really only question mark in my mind this season.  I am not expecting them to be a contender and this year is a transition.  Most importantly the development of our kids needs to materialize.   We added speed and some skill to the 4th line and will allow The Chief to roll lines which really hurt us against the Rags.

Archived