Grabovski Flattened by John Scott

hf101

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the 3rd unis the isles are sporting there.

Unfortunate result from a hockey play. I agree@Vanflyer Grabovski looks like he was not conscious for a moment.

I also like that there wasn't immediate fisticuffs afterwards, does that have to do with the nature of Scott's "game" or is the culture changing so a guy doesn't have to answer for a clean hit...that would be nice IMO

I also like that there wasn't immediate fisticuffs afterwards, does that have to do with the nature of Scott's "game" or is the culture changing so a guy doesn't have to answer for a clean hit...that would be nice IMO

Well, if you are 6'7 260 lbs and just laid a player out cleanly, who is going to mess with you?

Tough to disagree with the consensus here. It's a case of a giant throwing a perfectly clean hit on a man 80 lbs smaller, and who wasn't aware the hit was coming. I just hope it was a case of him having the wind completely knocked out of him rather than a concussion, obviously.

Saw the hit live as the game was going on, and I too agree with everyone here: clean hit.

John Scott may be a knuckledragging, shaved down, poor skating Cro-Magnon dressed up to look like a hockey player, but he just put his body into Grabovski, and down he went. I found nothing wrong with the hit at all...and apprently, neither did anyone else on the ice.

I did find it interesting that the coach of the Sharks kept Scott out for most of, if not all, of the rest of the game AFTER that hit. He may have had more ice time, but I certainly didn't notice it...and the announcers pointed that out as well.

Coincidence? Who knows.

Maybe, because Scott doesn't get much ice time to begin with, it was just one of those coach's "Ok, well, we need some plays made", and of course Scott isn't a playmaker....or if the coach kept him out to keep any POTENTIAL hostilities in check.

Lesson for all you kiddies out there: Don't be like Mikhail Grabovski...keep your damned head up and KNOW who the hell is on the ice!

Sorry, but that stuff wasn't clean.

Grabovski had his back to him until the last second. That's a charge plain and simple.

Scott should be suspended no doubt in any way.

This is the kind of crap that needs to be cut down on.

What happened to Grossman the other night is the kind if thing you can't do much about, but this crap needs to be punished or it will be encouraged instead.

Sorry, but that stuff wasn't clean.

Grabovski had his back to him until the last second. That's a charge plain and simple.

Scott should be suspended no doubt in any way.

This is the kind of crap that needs to be cut down on.

What happened to Grossman the other night is the kind if thing you can't do much about, but this crap needs to be punished or it will be encouraged instead.

Say what?

It was a hit to the shoulder, so not looking does not mean anything. It only counts as a blindside if you smash their head in. His hands were down by his hips for the hit and contact was shoulder to shoulder.

It did not drive him into the boards or any other stationary. And he did not jump into the hit or take accelerating strides. So it is not charging.

You are the only person I have seen thus far out of hundreds who is calling the hit dirty.

Grabovski had no way of knowing te guy was coming. NONE. He charged him. He took many strides from behind with no bother intention than to knock him senseless. He made no play for the puck.

You cannot blind side a guy. A guy whose head is in the midst of turning vaguely in your direction is still a blindside.

This is precisely the kind of hit that needs to be eliminated.

randy jones on Patrice Bergeron or those his Richards got nj trouble for years ago were nothing compared to this one.

You can't sprint up behind a guy and blind side him! No what rule book can you do that?

Say what?

It was a hit to the shoulder, so not looking does not mean anything. It only counts as a blindside if you smash their head in. His hands were down by his hips for the hit and contact was shoulder to shoulder.

It did not drive him into the boards or any other stationary. And he did not jump into the hit or take accelerating strides. So it is not charging.

You are the only person I have seen thus far out of hundreds who is calling the hit dirty.

Keep your head up and turned 180 degrees in case a dude is going to charge you from behind in the desperate hopes ou turn into him at the last second and if you don't then he's probable suspended for 12- 20 games?

Yeah great lesson. Makes perfect sense.

Saw the hit live as the game was going on, and I too agree with everyone here: clean hit.

John Scott may be a knuckledragging, shaved down, poor skating Cro-Magnon dressed up to look like a hockey player, but he just put his body into Grabovski, and down he went. I found nothing wrong with the hit at all...and apprently, neither did anyone else on the ice.

I did find it interesting that the coach of the Sharks kept Scott out for most of, if not all, of the rest of the game AFTER that hit. He may have had more ice time, but I certainly didn't notice it...and the announcers pointed that out as well.

Coincidence? Who knows.

Maybe, because Scott doesn't get much ice time to begin with, it was just one of those coach's "Ok, well, we need some plays made", and of course Scott isn't a playmaker....or if the coach kept him out to keep any POTENTIAL hostilities in check.

Lesson for all you kiddies out there: Don't be like Mikhail Grabovski...keep your damned head up and KNOW who the hell is on the ice!

(sigh)

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.  "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner."

42.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent.

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent (see 42.5).

42.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by charging.

42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

It needs to be addressed and the NHL will continue to be looked upon as a bunch of backwoods galoots until this kind of crap is addressed.  The Islanders should be ashamed of themselves for not beating Scott into a bloody mess for this crap.

Sure does. 

Keep your head up and turned 180 degrees in case a dude is going to charge you from behind in the desperate hopes ou turn into him at the last second and if you don't then he's probable suspended for 12- 20 games?

Yeah great lesson. Makes perfect sense.

I've looked at that hit over and over, and again, I did see it as it went on live, I honestly saw nothing wrong with that hit....and I am in no way shape or form a John Scott fan.

Scott was watching the play, saw that Grabovski was going to recieve the puck, and surprisingly, made the BEST hockey move possible and made his way to the puck carrier, who happened to be in the process of turning from skating backwards (always a danger, BTW, skating backwards INTO possible traffic), and hit him clean.

Had John Scott been about 5'9 and 175, maybe Grabovski gets bumped off the play and no one is having any conversation about it after.

Just so happens the man doing the hitting was a dinosaur and the one receiving not so much. Can't penalize or vilify a guy because he is big and strong....just can't do it.

As for keeping his head up, ok, Grabovski didn't have his head "down" and really was unaware of his surroundings...but then, THAT right there could have been the problem...skating backwards into traffic, unaware of who was on the ice.

Most players are aware of exactly who is on the ice at any given time. If John Scott is on the ice, does anyone really think he is out there to make quick outlet passes, distribute the puck, or streak down the line for a play?

No...he is out there to check, create space for his linemates, and prevent the other team from setting up anything or skating up ice with easy chances. And all that is within the rules.

In that respect, he did his job.

Maybe Grabo could have avoided it if he knew his surroundings, maybe its just one of those plays that just simply could not be avoided by him, either way, no foul play here...and yes, it IS a good lesson to keep your head up at all times AND know who is on the ice.

Grabovski had no way of knowing te guy was coming. NONE. He charged him. He took many strides from behind with no bother intention than to knock him senseless. He made no play for the puck.

You cannot blind side a guy. A guy whose head is in the midst of turning vaguely in your direction is still a blindside.

This is precisely the kind of hit that needs to be eliminated.

randy jones on Patrice Bergeron or those his Richards got nj trouble for years ago were nothing compared to this one.

You can't sprint up behind a guy and blind side him! No what rule book can you do that?

Charging is when you take strides without gliding to build up speed to make a hit, or jump into a hit my friend.

Nothing about that hit was charging. He was gliding the entire way without a stride. Watch the video. Not a single stride in the replay. None. you claimed he took several.

He did not hit him in the head(Which are the only times a blindside hit is under scrutiny), nor propel him violently into anything. Nor did he raise his arms to make contact higher. He smashed his shoulder, and it was the incredible weight difference behind the hit that made the difference, and if anything, gave him whiplash.

Absolutely clean textbook Hockey hit and every publication I have read and every announcer and every analyst has called the hit clean.

If you don't like that hit, go watch the no contact kids leagues.

(sigh)

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.  "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner."

42.2 Minor Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent.

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the check, to a player guilty of charging an opponent (see 42.5).

42.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by charging.

42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

It needs to be addressed and the NHL will continue to be looked upon as a bunch of backwoods galoots until this kind of crap is addressed.  The Islanders should be ashamed of themselves for not beating Scott into a bloody mess for this crap.

Checking from behind is also called "hitting him on the numbers" for a reason, and is almost exclusively called only when it propels a man into the boards. He hit his shoulder. End of story.

John Scott is a guy who has every hit come under scrutiny, Yet, not a single person other than you is calling foul here.

Maybe Grabo could have avoided it if he knew his surroundings, maybe its just one of those plays that just simply could not be avoided by him, either way, no foul play here...and yes, it IS a good lesson to keep your head up at all times AND know who is on the ice.

Yup. From peewees on up you are lectured and instilled with that.

I am bummed for the hit and injury, but it was a clean hockey play.

For people to cry foul is just ridiculous.

See my above post or the rule book as to why it wasn't at all remotely clean and just about as filthy as they come, but regardless, I can point to dozens of technically cleaner and more incidental hits that resulted in suspensions and major penalties... but even more regardless, as a team mate it's your effin' job to teach a guy a lesson after he does something like that.

I don't care if it was clean (which I continue to contend that it was NOT) If you don't punish the guy for that then you're just inviting more and worse hits on your own players and on others around the league.

Here's the thing.  You either like guys getting knocked out in hockey and their careers being shortened and their (majority of their lifetimes) time after hockey being screwed up with physical and neurological problems... or you don't.

There's plenty of brutal contact that can not end up like this.  You don't have to be a complete jack ass and make childish hyperbolic ultimatums to appreciate that you can play the game fast and hard and strong and then you can play the game dangerously with intent to ruin a man's life.

There's a difference.  Scott should be suspended.  The rule book says so and friggin' human logic says so.

why?? The scott hit was as clean as they come.

Hit happened with 6 minutes left in the 1st. TOI for John on the game. 5:16, just about a minute under his average. So, no, he was not held back.

Yup. From peewees on up you are lectured and instilled with that.

I am bummed for the hit and injury, but it was a clean hockey play.

For people to cry foul is just ridiculous.

Exactly.

See my above post or the rule book as to why it wasn't at all remotely clean and just about as filthy as they come, but regardless, I can point to dozens of technically cleaner and more incidental hits that resulted in suspensions and major penalties... but even more regardless, as a team mate it's your effin' job to teach a guy a lesson after he does something like that.

I don't care if it was clean (which I continue to contend that it was NOT) If you don't punish the guy for that then you're just inviting more and worse hits on your own players and on others around the league.

Here's the thing.  You either like guys getting knocked out in hockey and their careers being shortened and their (majority of their lifetimes) time after hockey being screwed up with physical and neurological problems... or you don't.

There's plenty of brutal contact that can not end up like this.  You don't have to be a complete jack ass and make childish hyperbolic ultimatums to appreciate that you can play the game fast and hard and strong and then you can play the game dangerously with intent to ruin a man's life.

There's a difference.  Scott should be suspended.  The rule book says so and friggin' human logic says so.

Sorry. There was no buildup of speed. He took no strides and there was no acceleration. He floated in there like a Hindenburg blimp and the weight difference is what the factor was. By the rulebook(And every analyst said so) it was a clean hit. He intentionally did not target the head(And you can see he very well could have). Blindside suspensions only come into play if principal place of contact is the head, and it very clearly was not.

Ill say it again HE HIT HIM IN THE SHOULDER.

You don't have a leg to stand on here.

And pray tell, who on the Isles is going to challenge John Scott to a fight to teach him a lesson? The guy's only real purpose is to fight because he almost never loses.

The irony here is you are preaching head injuries and how you hate them, but advocating repeated intentional blows to the head of others to deter it

Archived