Wednesday night rivalry

Polaris922

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@notfondajane

So what do you think of Fleury?  ;)

Thjey were talking last night that Rutherford says he's their man going forward. Great news....as a Flyer fan.

@notfondajane

So what do you think of Fleury?  ;)

Thjey were talking last night that Rutherford says he's their man going forward. Great news....as a Flyer fan.

the worst thing you can do is to rely on a inconsistent goalie. Supposedly he is like glue in the locker room. If he's the go to guy then forget about winning the cup for a while. The Penguins will be one and out if they make the playoffs!:'(

TSN is reporting that the officiating crew from last nights game have all been suspended indefinately by Gary Bettman. Crew suspended for not giving the Penguins a power play in the last 3 minutes of the game after the Pens pulled the game to 4-3. Rule #87 requires a penalty against the Flyers be called in those types of situations and the crew failed to adhere to the policy. :ph34r: 

"Richard Maher · Top Commenter · Picayune Memorial High School

I only heard crosby mentioned the first 5 minutes of the game. Are the Flyers in their heads that much? No points for crosby plus he was a -2. Malkin a -3. Letang a -4. The pens just can't play the Flyers. 1 loss in Pitt in their new arena for the Flyers. That is what I call having their number."

From NHL.com.

If your best players are not going to be your best players then you can not expect to win. While I am pleased with the win, it confounds me how a superior team like Pitts can lose to the flyers and in that fashion. It was a 40min effort by the Pens and a 60min effort by the Flyers.

Yeah it seems to astound me too.  Even though the Pens roster has had some turnover, IMHO, I really don't think the Pens got over losing that playoff series a couple of years ago.   I really can't explain it any other way.  Totally agree...I'll take the win any day of the week......but surely with a new coach, he would attempt to change the mindset when playing the Flyers.

They did mention the Pens have had 20% of all embellishment calls in the NHL this season. :thumbsu:  Shocked I tell ya!

Wow... I missed that part!  I must have been grabbing a beer... 20%!?!?!?!!!  Seriously?   That is hysterical... but, but, but the Pens dont embellish...

@notfondajane

@B21

my question is....what happened to MAF.  Here was a goaltender who won the Stanley Cup several years ago  and since then he has been one big pscho nut job for you guys.  Sure for the most part he will shine during the regular season but then struggle during the playoffs.

soooo what happened to jhis psche??

@notfondajane

@B21

my question is....what happened to MAF.  Here was a goaltender who won the Stanley Cup several years ago  and since then he has been one big pscho nut job for you guys.  Sure for the most part he will shine during the regular season but then struggle during the playoffs.

The year the Pens won the Cup, Fleury had either the highest GAA or Save % of a Cup winning goalie. His best year was actually the year before when they lost to Detroit. 1.97 GAA. .933 Save %.  His career regular season numbers really aren't much better than his post-season numbers.  2.62/.910 against 2.68/.905.

He is what he is.  An average to decent goalie who is paid accordingly.  30 NHL teams.  He is the 15th highest paid goalie.

The year the Pens won the Cup, Fleury had either the highest GAA or Save % of a Cup winning goalie. His best year was actually the year before when they lost to Detroit. 1.97 GAA. .933 Save %.  His career regular season numbers really aren't much better than his post-season numbers.  2.62/.910 against 2.68/.905.

He is what he is.  An average to decent goalie who is paid accordingly.  30 NHL teams.  He is the 15th highest paid goalie.

From Tod Cordell:

Sure, he has a Stanley Cup to his name but he posted a highly mediocre .908SV% during that postseason, which is among the lowest save percentage totals a goaltender has ever posted while winning a Cup.

From Tod Cordell:

Sure, he has a Stanley Cup to his name but he posted a highly mediocre .908SV% during that postseason, which is among the lowest save percentage totals a goaltender has ever posted while winning a Cup.

And there it is.

Best way I can sum it up....

If Fleury is your goalie and your team makes 10 trips to the playoffs, he is capable of winning you a Cup by himself once - maybe twice, capable of getting you eliminated all by himself 3 times and playing well enough the other 5-6 times to for the team to win a Cup provided the skaters step up (i.e. - he won't lose it for you but he isn't standing on his head, either).

If you look at the Pens' 8 playoff appearances with Fleury, that formula holds up...

06-07 - Lost it...

07-08 - Won it...

08-09 - Neither lost nor won (even though they did win the Cup)...

09-10 - Neither...

10-11 - Neither...

11-12 - Lost it...

12-13 - Lost it...

13-14 - Neither...

Wow... I missed that part!  I must have been grabbing a beer... 20%!?!?!?!!!  Seriously?   That is hysterical... but, but, but the Pens dont embellish...

In fairness, only 5 embellishment calls have been made all year, and one was against the Pens.

From your former Player, J Neal:

"Why we struggled in the playoffs is still a tough question to answer," Neal said. "I don't think anyone really can."

Without prompting, the Flyers entered Neal's mind.

"I didn't watch the game (on Wednesday)," Neal said. "But I guess they lost again to the Flyers, eh? It's the same thing that went on when I was there. What the Flyers do to the Penguins ... I don't know why things didn't go the way they should have gone in the playoffs. I don't know why everyone got so rattled. But it's not my problem anymore."

@notfondajane

@B21

he lost what little focus he had! Plus the league figure out his tendencies,and is beating him when it counts. I'm starting to wonder if he gives a rats behind?

From your former Player, J Neal:

"Why we struggled in the playoffs is still a tough question to answer," Neal said. "I don't think anyone really can."

Without prompting, the Flyers entered Neal's mind.

"I didn't watch the game (on Wednesday)," Neal said. "But I guess they lost again to the Flyers, eh? It's the same thing that went on when I was there. What the Flyers do to the Penguins ... I don't know why things didn't go the way they should have gone in the playoffs. I don't know why everyone got so rattled. But it's not my problem anymore."

Wow... Just wow...lol what a piece of work he is.

he lost what little focus he had! Plus the league figure out his tendencies,and is beating him when it counts. I'm starting to wonder if he gives a rats behind?

And Rutherford still wants him for your goalie????

Archived