Chara injured tonight, possibly long term?

yave1964

Forget the outcome of the game, the Bruins already struggling might be without their biggest player, Captain Zdeno Chara.

He had kind of a weird collision with Tavares from the Isles and then played another shift or two and then was gone. He didn't return, and although the players didn't let on, the comments from the players as well as coach Julien seem to indicate that they may miss Chara for quite a while.

Julien said he wouldn't have an update until doctors have a chance to look at Chara.

''When you lose your captain and one of your better defensemen, there's no doubt it's going to have an effect on your team,'' the coach said. ''You're going to lose guys during the season; those things happen. How you react to it and how you respond is what's important.''

''He's a presence in all aspects of the game,'' said Bruins forward Chris Kelly, who scored to cut a two-goal deficit in half midway through the third period. ''He's a captain for a reason. He's played in 1,000 games. We're going to miss him.''

If he is out for a length of time the Bruins who are 4-5 could be in big trouble.

He had kind of a weird collision with Tavares from the Isles and then played another shift or two and then was gone. He didn't return, and although the players didn't let on, the comments from the players as well as coach Julien seem to indicate that they may miss Chara for quite a while.
the intermission dudes said he left after that hit. didn't see why he got injured. watching it live tavaras took all the damage

The Bruins have looked ordinary and a bit boring, losing the big guy for a length of time could be really, really ugly.

as a wings fan and the're in your division you should be all YES YES YES :thumbsu:  YES :rock::D

Anyone think that, kind of as a good Samaritan gesture, Hextall should offer them Grossman for a draft pick?

I think that would be nice of him to help them out like that.

I think the Wings could offer Quincey AND a draft pick. beat that.

Chara is overrated as a defenseman. The only reason he is effective on defense is that he is too strong to push out of the way and so damn big that forwards have to skate a long way to avoid his albatross-like wingspan. It is interesting that Tavares who looks like a child next to Chara, could do any damage to Chara.

Anyone think that, kind of as a good Samaritan gesture, Hextall should offer them Grossman for a draft pick?

I think that would be nice of him to help them out like that.

Hextall should be a really good samaritan and let them know the list of available D-men doesnt stop at GrossmanN ;)

Not saying the B's are better off without Chara, but crazy as it sounds, this may be a blessing in disguise for Boston.

How?

Well, I think it's safe to say that the Bruins overall have just been looking old n slow the last couple seasons, even though they are always at the top of the standings.

Last season's playoffs especially, they looked like a team that could just use an infusion of overall quicker talent....particularly on defense.

Chara has continued to be a workhorse for this team, and oftentimes, much of Boston's play runs through him in some fashion.

With Big Z out of the lineup, Boston is now forced to move guys up on the defensive depth chart, play some younger guys more (and important) minutes, and generally give a real hard look at the team WITHOUT Chara and start planning (if they haven't already) for life without Chara in the long run, while still remaining competitive.

I get Zdeno is the captain, etc, etc.....but I think the Bruins should have started phasing him out about a season or two ago, and start laying down a solid foundation of defenders playing Chara-like minutes so that when the time comes, the team can transition away from him and be not too worse for wear.

Team has removed or started to phase out certain players in other areas, and to me, Chara now remains the single biggest anchor to the team moving forward with a fresh new outlook.

So Big Z down with injury? 4-6 weeks?

From a Bruins fan's standpoint, now  would be a good time to see what the team REALLY has beyond Chara.

No way will the Bruins as currently constructed, will be able to continually keep up with other teams in the division with faster younger talent such as Detroit, Montreal, Tampa Bay, even Ottawa and Florida long term without making some adjustments to their roster....and that starts with Chara starting to take a back seat to some other players.

Not saying the B's are better off without Chara, but crazy as it sounds, this may be a blessing in disguise for Boston.

How?

Well, I think it's safe to say that the Bruins overall have just been looking old n slow the last couple seasons, even though they are always at the top of the standings.

Last season's playoffs especially, they looked like a team that could just use an infusion of overall quicker talent....particularly on defense.

Dign ding ding.....we have a winner. Personally....and I already have commented this before on this forum.....trading Chara rather than Boychuck would have been ideally the better move.

Chara is borderline 38 years old.....slower....he has the hard shot but how many goal he score off it anyways? 

Chara rubs guys  along the boards.... Boychuck does the same plus does open ice hits.

Chara is not as intimidating  as he once was. Period. A few years ago Chara being injured would have been met with uh-ohs....not so much aanymore.

Shame we traded Boychuck.

Looked totally innocuous, but clearly his knee moved back in a way that his ACL probably didn't like

Well his ACL is intact but he has a slight tear to his PCL which isn't good and could linger all season if they rush him back. 

Archived