Is this Babcock's last season in Detroit?

SpikeDDS

I know. It's early to be asking this question, and Wings fans may not really want to talk about it, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. The reason I'm asking it is because During the Philly game, Bill Clement commented on Babcock's future, and he is pretty convinced Babs is gone.

That wouldn't surprise me, because he WILL BE the highest paid hockey coach ever next year, whether he stays or goes. What did surprise me was Clement's apparent confidence in his opinion. He seemed pretty sure that Babs'll be gone.

I like Babs, but to be honest, he's only won one Cup, and that was largely with the remaining players from his predecessors. What's weird is that we are just now beginning to see the fruits of the development of these younger players, and the older guard is still playing well enough where in the next year or two I can see them making a serious run if they do it right. If Babs goes now, he will have done a LOT of the work to get them there, but then left the party right as it's about to begin. Seems like a strange time to go, if you ask me.

I say the jury is still out, and I think the answer of whether he stays or goes is HEAVILY dependent on whether he sees the potential for this team to be a serious Cup contender in 2 years or less. If he thinks they can do it, I can see him staying quite easily, as Babs is all about winning.

Do you think he gives up to try to build a winner elsewhere if the prospects of possibly bringing another Cup in a two-year timeframe are real? I say that Clement is too confident at this point, but maybe I'm naive. 

What do you guys think?

@SpikeDDS   I know this will sound strange...but.....I wonder if something can be worked out with Babcock. In other words, sit him down and honestly discuss his thoughts of the future. See what teams he would find alluring to coach for. Approach those teams and see if a deal can be worked out. Of course, this would all have to be done with Babber's blessing. The bottom line is Babcock is an asset like any player. If he were to state that Toronto and Philly were his choices for next year, approach those teams, allow Babcock to negotiate a deal with them right now and demand a 2nd round pick as compensation. The Wings get a high pick in one of the best drafts ever and the team getting him is assured they get their man AND avoid a messy multi team situation where the price goes outrageously high to secure his services.....a win, win for all teams involved.

@SpikeDDS

I think Babs is in the most enviable position of maybe any coach ever.

He is an icon in Canada, having won two gold medals in the Olympics, and look at the teams most in the running for his services, Toronto, more or less his home town, mediocre results but lots of talent just begging for a winner, and Edmonton, first rounder after first rounder and no results. A bidding war could ensue between these two teams, and that is not counting any team south of the Border here in the USA who would love to get their hands upon him.

The Wings signed Grand Rapids coach Jeff Blashill to the highest paid contract currently in the AHL to hedge their bet in case Babs moves on. He won a Calder Cup two years ago and has been instrumental in the development of Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening, Lashoff, Mrazak, Sheahan and so many more players now playing key roles with the Wings. He is being overpaid as the heir apparent.

My bet is Babcock is gone like a freight train after the year and Blashill steps into the job. If I were a betting man I would have to go with the smart money and bet on the Leafs as Babs destination.

And Blashill? He has a reputation as a X and O coach who is a 'players coach'. After the near Tyranical rule of Babcock (not that their is anything wrong with that, sometimes a bit of fear is a great motivator) a pat on the back coach might just be in order.

a pat on the back coach might just be in order.

Yes, I could see how a "player's coach" would be a very nice change. After all, with vets like Kronner, Pavel and Zett's....there will be no lazy floater's on the roster anyways.

@yave1964

Good observations, yave.

I really didn't focus my question too much on his replacement, but to be honest, I was trying to think of which current NHL coach would they pursue to replace him if he went. But I remember when they signed Blashill to that rather large contract for an AHL coach thinking that they were grooming him. For whatever reason, in my focus on NHL coaches I forgot about Blashill. I think you may be right. If Babs goes, I think Blashill will be readily accepted by the Wings players, and as you pointed out, his style may be just what the doctor ordered.

As we said in the other thread, this is Z's team, and Babs has been the coach for his entire captaincy. He and the other vets will ensure we don't lose the discipline, even if it may not be Blashill's strong suit. (Not that I'm saying Blash is a wimp on it or anything. You can't be a pushover and get to this level, especially if Babs is saying the things he is saying about him.)

I also agree that if he goes, Toronto is where he will end up. They are SO hungry for even a contending team. I think Babs might be able to lead them there, although I wonder if he is too similar to Carlysle in style. I think their pockets are deeper than Edmonton's too. I say Leafs.

@SpikeDDS   The Leafs and the Flyers are both worth "billions" but the primary difference is Snider is at the helm. If he wants Babcock AND Babber would not mind coming, I can see Snider getting involved and outbidding Toronto. One focused owner desperate to win is a bit better than the MLSE board and all their differing opinions.

@SpikeDDS The Leafs and the Flyers are both worth "billions" but the primary difference is Snider is at the helm. If he wants Babcock AND Babber would not mind coming, I can see Snider getting involved and outbidding Toronto. One focused owner desperate to win is a bit better than the MLSE board and all their differing opinions.

Funny you're talking about Snider and out bidding?

He's one of the biggest reasons we have been through two lengthy lockouts.

Funny you're talking about Snider and out bidding?

He's one of the biggest reasons we have been through two lengthy lockouts.

There is a big difference between management positions like coaches, scouts, trainers etc and players. Flyers already pay their scouts more than most teams.

We talked about this a couple months ago.

With the suspicion that Babcock's likely destination is Toronto, what are the odds that Babcock and Randy Carlysle will simply trade places?

Noooooooooooooo!

Of course the last time that Carlyle followed Babcock was in Anaheim and Carlyle won a cup with Babs team, so if you wanna see lightning strike twice, maybe.

Personally, I like Blashill because he taught most of these kids down at Grand Rapids and they know him and from what I have read like him. IMHO Blashill is the best coach not in the NHL.

@yave1964

I would have to agree, and the evidence you present regarding Blashill as the heir apparent is difficult to ignore.  I would prefer to see Blashill moved up rather than an existing NHL'er get the job.  But if Ken Holland's reputation for painfully slow development and transition of players can be translated to coaches, then we might see someone like Carlyle as Top Dog with Blashill as an assistant coach, depending on how things work out with Tony Granato.

@yave1964

I would have to agree, and the evidence you present regarding Blashill as the heir apparent is difficult to ignore.  I would prefer to see Blashill moved up rather than an existing NHL'er get the job.  But if Ken Holland's reputation for painfully slow development and transition of players can be translated to coaches, then we might see someone like Carlyle as Top Dog with Blashill as an assistant coach, depending on how things work out with Tony Granato.

Although, as we were saying, part of the reason Holland has been slow is in part because of the number of young players he is trying to develop. He doesn't exactly have a plethora of young, talented head coach candidates he is developing. He's got Blashill though.

I think the pay scale that they've signed Blashill to is a hint that they are grooming him. Granted, he's been giving them the goods in GR. Worth the money and then some.

• 2 weeks later...

It is indeed crunch time for Babcock's stay in Detroit. Here we have a team that has won 9 of 11 games, sitting atop the Eastern Conference. Flush with young stars, with more on the way. If Babcock *really* want's to stay in Detroit, I expect a 3 or 4 year extension in the coming weeks. He can no longer claim the team is *iffy* or not a serious contender for Lord Stanley. It's put up time. There is no reason to drag this out any longer....*unless* he does want the challenge of righting the ship in Toronto or some other team. We will have our answer soon....because no answer will speak volumes....

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/bob-wojnowski/2014/12/10/wojo-time-right-wings-re-sign-coach-babcock/20229343/

It is indeed crunch time for Babcock's stay in Detroit. Here we have a team that has won 9 of 11 games, sitting atop the Eastern Conference. Flush with young stars, with more on the way. If Babcock *really* want's to stay in Detroit, I expect a 3 or 4 year extension in the coming weeks. He can no longer claim the team is *iffy* or not a serious contender for Lord Stanley. It's put up time. There is no reason to drag this out any longer....*unless* he does want the challenge of righting the ship in Toronto or some other team. We will have our answer soon....because no answer will speak volumes....

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/bob-wojnowski/2014/12/10/wojo-time-right-wings-re-sign-coach-babcock/20229343/

Lets say the Wings finish somewhere atop the Eastern conference and make the conference final or even the Cup final. win or lose.

Babs, based off that will be the highest paid coach in Hockey history period. Toronto, Edmonton, somewhere south of the border, someone will pay thru the nose to get him.

Blashill is groomed and ready down at Grand Rapids having taught most of the kids in their stay with him. Babs praises him, Holland overpaid to keep him just in case.

Personally, the better the Wings do, the less likely he stays. That is just my opinion but i really believe it.,

Hockey Central was talking about this the other day. The consensus was he was staying. They figure he'll be the highest paid coach in Detroit, he just won't get quite as much as he would elsewhere. 

Oh and Babcock says this is the best Wings team he's seen.

I also read an article about this...I believe it was The Hockey News.  While citing Toronto and Pittsburgh as the most likely destinations, they made several good points about why Babcock will likely stay in Detroit.  He would certainly command any salary he chooses, that we can all agree on.  But his goal is the same as any other Coach's - to win the Cup.  This current team in Detroit and up and coming talent pool in Grand Rapids offers him the best chance to do that.  Pittsburgh has two very exceptional players in Crosby and Malkin, but after that, the talent pool drops off significantly.  

The Leafs also do not have the same caliber of a team and with the ever-critical media, Babcock would be under the gun immediately to right the ship, which honestly, won't happen overnight.  I don't think he's interested in the "project" of turning the Maple Leafs into a Cup winner, especially facing even harsher taskmasters.  Prudence dictates he should stay right where he is - he's got the best chance in Detroit to get his name back on that Cup.

How about you?  Would you take more money to go to a lesser team?

@WingNut722

I would. But I'm not making millions already. 

Theres something to be said about being able to live your life without being hassled to death. I'm sure Babcock gets attention in detroit. But in Toronto he would be pestered 24/7/365. Is that worth it to him?

Maybe not:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/duff-babcock-to-stay-put

Soon, he will be the NHL’s highest-paid coach. And he will continue to earn that pay behind the Wings’ bench.

Expect a new contract between the Wings and Babcock to be announced sooner rather than later.

According to multiple NHL sources familiar with the negotiations, the announcement could be imminent, perhaps even a holiday gift for the man who’s guided Canada to the last two Olympic gold medals.

Maybe not:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/duff-babcock-to-stay-put

Soon, he will be the NHL’s highest-paid coach. And he will continue to earn that pay behind the Wings’ bench.

Expect a new contract between the Wings and Babcock to be announced sooner rather than later.

According to multiple NHL sources familiar with the negotiations, the announcement could be imminent, perhaps even a holiday gift for the man who’s guided Canada to the last two Olympic gold medals.

Babcock just denied it all

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-denies-report-of-red-wings-extension-1.2869625

Archived