Should Peter Deboer be fired?

JagerMeister

do you guys think he should be fired?

Nope.  The Devils are going no where this season and they weren't expected to.  You have to figure Brodeur knew that he didn't have a shot at a Stanley Cup with the Devils. They have been in rebuild mode ever since Parise and Kolvalchuk left.

Lou is a smart GM and he is planning for the future.  This team will suffer no losses via a likely expansion draft.

Nope. The Devils are going no where this season and they weren't expected to. You have to figure Brodeur knew that he didn't have a shot at a Stanley Cup with the Devils. They have been in rebuild mode ever since Parise and Kolvalchuk left.

Lou is a smart GM and he is planning for the future. This team will suffer no losses via a likely expansion draft.

I agree with most of your post. However, this years NJD team was suppose to be a bit better then last year. With the addition of camalleri and the group of rookie defenseman. But NJD is doing worse then they were last year and that is inexcusable considering the new additions to the team. Pete deboer is an alright coach, but he has been giving significantly more minutes to players such as zidlicky and harrold who have not been playing well defensively this year. So maybe with a different coach the group of rookie defenseman would be given more minutes? Also the lineups he has made have been questionable.

I wouldn't but with Lou's history, I think he will be.

This is a stopgap team, a rag tag bunch thrown together hoping they can make it somewhat interesting while they look around for prospects who can play the game. Not Deboars fault that the mix of veteran players is not doing things that they haven't been able t do, for the most part, in years. Like I said previously though, I understand the thinking, sneak in the playoffs in a weak division and once in, with a veteran, experienced club and anything can happen, it can even make the brain trust look like geniuses if the old duffers win a round or two, but no, this looks like they are going to have a long hill to climb for anything remotely like that to happen.....

Maybe Kovalchuk comes back now that the KHL is in deep financial trouble......

I don't think any coach is going to have success with the patchwork group of forwards the Devils have. That being said, DeBoer compounds the issue with some of his personnel decisions. Playing a guy like Harrold over a kid like Larsson, who has been solid this year. Continuing to play Gionta at center when he's terrible at the position, and putting him out late in games. Playing Zubrus more than Ruutu when Ruutu is more effective. Randomly scratching Josefson, when he's one of the few young, fast forwards they have. Granted, those are probably relatively minor things, but on a team that has no margin for error it can be maddening.

I don't think a coaching change would spark this team into a playoff position, but it's to the point where something needs to change. And it's a lot easier to fire the coach than it is to turn over half your forwards. They're going to miss the playoffs for the third straight year. That alone would get most coaches fired.

I don't think any coach is going to have success with the patchwork group of forwards the Devils have. That being said, DeBoer compounds the issue with some of his personnel decisions. Playing a guy like Harrold over a kid like Larsson, who has been solid this year. Continuing to play Gionta at center when he's terrible at the position, and putting him out late in games. Playing Zubrus more than Ruutu when Ruutu is more effective. Randomly scratching Josefson, when he's one of the few young, fast forwards they have. Granted, those are probably relatively minor things, but on a team that has no margin for error it can be maddening.

I don't think a coaching change would spark this team into a playoff position, but it's to the point where something needs to change. And it's a lot easier to fire the coach than it is to turn over half your forwards. They're going to miss the playoffs for the third straight year. That alone would get most coaches fired.

also, giving zi dlicky the most ice time out of all your defenseman when he is the worst defensively, takes stupid penalties and sometimes his passes are way off.. also putting gomez on wing is questionable as well although it did work out the first fan Pete tried it

I agree with those that say DeBoer simply doesn't have much to work with...however, I say that cautiously, because I too have also wondered about some of the decisions he has made with regards on whom to play, when to play them, and how much ice time they get.

Thinking primarily along the lines of the defense, where I think, win or lose (and these days it's more losing), go with your young guys getting the bulk of the ice time and really start phasing out those veterans from the blue line.

This season is pretty much lost already, why not give your young blue liners a leg up on the following season?

Let them make a mess of things now so that way, come next season, some of their growing stages will have been passed already.

But overall, really, Peter DeBoer just simply doesn't have a ton of options overall as far as the roster goes.

Now, if there is any stuff going on behind the scenes that us fans aren't privy to (such as some squabbling, players not really caring what the coach is saying anymore, or some disagreements in philosophy between the coach and ownership), then there could very well be grounds for dismissal.

DeBoer is a tough call though.

Traditionally, if the team isn't doing well when it was expected to, then the coach is looked at...however, if the team really wasn't expected to make the post season, much less make a run in it, then the coach is given a longer leash as long as some promise for a better tomorrow is shown.

Where do the Devils fall in all that?

That is tough to answer.

I started a thread in the pre-season talking about each division's 'loose cannon' team...you know, the one that you don't quite know what to make of them.

They could be bottom feeding algae, be surprise playoff contenders, or do quite well and make a decen post season run.

The NJ Devils were EASILY my favorite pick for that distinction of loose cannon, darkhorse, unknown, total crapshoot...whatever you want to call it.

And we are seeing now that the team's results and ultimate destination at season's end is not so brightly lit.

Totally off topic, but what a wonderful 2 way ace Peter was in junior. Used to love watching him compete. He was also the Spits captain for a year. He was the emotional leader in Windsor for more than 2 years also. Must be tough on him to watch guys dog it, cause he was the exact opposite.

In reality though Lou has given pieces to the club during the off-season, but not pieces that will make a difference. Having guys like Havlat, Clowe and Zubrus on the roster makes it hard to perform well. Those three are the slowest skaters I've seen. I love Z, but the guy is essentially useless out there.

In reality though Lou has given pieces to the club during the off-season, but not pieces that will make a difference. Having guys like Havlat, Clowe and Zubrus on the roster makes it hard to perform well. Those three are the slowest skaters I've seen. I love Z, but the guy is essentially useless out there.

I love Zubbie as well. Atleast he works harder then most of the forwards on our team. 

You forgot Jagr

Archived