What do you think about the current state of the game?

fanaticV3.0

This article popped up on my FB feed the other day: http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/hockey-fighters-enforced-out/.

The piece focuses primarily on fighting, but I'm not particularly pleased with less physical game in general. The article mentions how the league is becoming less physical and more focused on speed and skill. While it is true, I call bullsh-t on the premise that there has to be less physicality to have more speed and skill. Take this list for example: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/points_season.html. I grew up watching mostly 90s hockey. I started watching in the late 80s, but really following and grasping it in the 90s. Both those eras were more physical and resulted in more points during the regular season. Focusing on speed and skill has not resulted in anything other than less physicality. Only 4 players (Crosby, Thornton, Jagr twice, and Sakic) finished in the top 100 in the new millennium (and I'm being generous by going even that far back). Players were fast, physical, and scored in past eras. Physicality of some did not take away from the speed and skill of others and as crazy as this sounds to some, there were guys who actually did both.

There's also the whole OT nonsense too. I used to hate ties, but would welcome them back in a heartbeat over the current format, and even more so over the rumored newer and even more moronic format. Go back to ties after a short OT. I would even take it the way it was in the old days, a tie after regulation and that's it, over force shorthanded hockey and shootouts.

@fanaticV3.0

I'm with you on all the points you made.

I actually do miss the barbarism of the old days.  That's not to say there's not still solid hits or fighting or whatever, but there seems to be less of it.  And I'm definitely with you on the OT/SO mess.

I was going to say the game lacks the passion that it once had.  The barbarism,the men vs. men thing.

I only watch some non-Flyers games, though. Not a lot.  So some of the generalizations I'm expressing might be based on the fact I follow/cheer for such a pansy-ass no-emotion no-heart team.  And it's been that way for some time.

This article popped up on my FB feed the other day: http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/hockey-fighters-enforced-out/.

The piece focuses primarily on fighting, but I'm not particularly pleased with less physical game in general. The article mentions how the league is becoming less physical and more focused on speed and skill. While it is true, I call bullsh-t on the premise that there has to be less physicality to have more speed and skill. Take this list for example: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/points_season.html. I grew up watching mostly 90s hockey. I started watching in the late 80s, but really following and grasping it in the 90s. Both those eras were more physical and resulted in more points during the regular season. Focusing on speed and skill has not resulted in anything other than less physicality. Only 4 players (Crosby, Thornton, Jagr twice, and Sakic) finished in the top 100 in the new millennium (and I'm being generous by going even that far back). Players were fast, physical, and scored in past eras. Physicality of some did not take away from the speed and skill of others and as crazy as this sounds to some, there were guys who actually did both.

There's also the whole OT nonsense too. I used to hate ties, but would welcome them back in a heartbeat over the current format, and even more so over the rumored newer and even more moronic format. Go back to ties after a short OT. I would even take it the way it was in the old days, a tie after regulation and that's it, over force shorthanded hockey and shootouts.

I kinda like speed and skill.

Unfortunately, I feel systems and high percentage plays are demanded by coaches and fewer players are allowed to use creativity and offensive flair on a regular basis any more.

Mixed Martial arts is going the same route.

I think the game is just as physical but it's different. The speed of the game means players can no longer "go out of their way," which is to say at all, to make and finish hits lest they create odd man pressure. But there are still big hits all over the ice.

The other big change is shot blocking. Everybody must do it now and all the time. Getting in lanes is now critical to winning. Often it is the difference.  I don't mind it, in fact I like the display of grit and courage that comes with blocking shots, but it is changing the way the game is played.

I love speed and skill, kids like Forsberg and Taresenko are a thrill to watch play.

But eliminating fighting, cutting out the physical game actually creates a whole set of issues allowing players such as Cooke and Neal and if you want, Kronwall, to cross lines without fear of retribution. The instigator rule created a new type of goon, the guy who can do whatever he wants without fear of reprisal. A few teams are hanging on to the old ways, Ottawa fights a lot because of lack of skill, Anaheim gets nasty because Boudreau coaches that way.

But as fighting and indeed the rough stuff is going away more and more teams are becoming indistinguishable. Cookie cutter rosters playing the same way. Skill is fun to watch but as a Wing fan, I admit that sometimes I wish we had a knuckle dragger or two out there, sometimes it is pretty damn boring watching a vanilla team play. Year in, year out, playoff team sure, but the boredom factor is there, especially after Lidstrom retired and with Z and Pavel starting to break down. Fortunately the kids have joined the club resparking interest but for a year or two there they were boring as can be and hard to watch.

But anyway, the state of the game. There is a lot to like.

More teams that are not usually in the mix are getting in the swing of it.

Lots of young exciting stars, a new wave is starting to come. Taresenko is a force unto himself, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Ekblad, Johansson and Tavares are doing a wonderful job of selling the game.

The salary cap is going up nex year a sign that the league is doing okay.

The KHL is in shambles so the rumors of Russian stars following Kovie to Russia is over, for the time being.

Overall, I think the league is going the right way.

@fanaticV3.0

I'm with you on all the points you made.

I actually do miss the barbarism of the old days.  That's not to say there's not still solid hits or fighting or whatever, but there seems to be less of it.  And I'm definitely with you on the OT/SO mess.

I was going to say the game lacks the passion that it once had.  The barbarism,the men vs. men thing.

I only watch some non-Flyers games, though. Not a lot.  So some of the generalizations I'm expressing might be based on the fact I follow/cheer for such a pansy-ass no-emotion no-heart team.  And it's been that way for some time.

I just don't get why those in the league seem to think it's an either/or kind of thing. This notion that in order to have more speed and skill there has to be physicality is...well it's wrong. Not to mention, as I already said, there was MORE scoring back then. The whole movement towards speed and skill doesn't result in players scoring more points. I don't want barbarism. I think the 70s style was embarrassing on some levels. But I wouldn't mind some of the late 80s and 90s. The league is pussified now.

I kinda like speed and skill.

Unfortunately, I feel systems and high percentage plays are demanded by coaches and fewer players are allowed to use creativity and offensive flair on a regular basis any more.

Mixed Martial arts is going the same route.

So do I, but it shouldn't be a choice between speed/skill and physical play. It's possible to have it all. The league used to have it all and arguably more of all of it.

I love hockey.  I watch games, from mites to NHL.  Every afternoon, after spending another sad day with my wife at the nursing home, I go to the arena.  I listen to the whack of the puck against boards.  I watch the players hustling.  The hockey atmosphere lifts me from my gloom.

I know hockey (especially the NHL variety) is changing.  But, it's still hockey. 

The best game on earth.

@blocker  I've read many of your posts on older rinks, and they still ring out true to this day. There is just something about the smell and the feel of rinks, and the older the better. I've walked through the old Windsor Arena, built in 1929, and housed the Wings (then the Cougars) in their first season before their rink was ready to go. So much history there, I still sit in the old seats, imagine who saw what transpire. The ice and concessions are sadly gone, but still an honour to sit in there. It's very much a kind of religious experience. I went on an OHL roadtrip back in the late 80's...it was so awesome to see Kingston's old rink before they replace it, the rickity old chairs in the bar...just loved that place!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love hockey.  I watch games, from mites to NHL.  Every afternoon, after spending another sad day with my wife at the nursing home, I go to the arena.  I listen to the whack of the puck against boards.  I watch the players hustling.  The hockey atmosphere lifts me from my gloom.

I know hockey (especially the NHL variety) is changing.  But, it's still hockey. 

The best game on earth.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of professional hockey.

I'm very sorry about your wife, but you are doing what is best for her by putting her in a facility. I'm watching my wife's family do the exact opposite right now with her grandfather and it's so very wrong how they are handling it.

Archived