Discipline for Suter?

IanP27

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should Suter be suspended by the League?

• Yes
    • No

This will be interesting.  Star player vs everyone's favorite player to hate.

Anyone think Downie did not return to draw more attention to the elbow?  OK, maybe not, Downie has suffered from concussions in the past.  

Is it a dirty play, yep, however I think any damage is worse due to the elbow pads than intent to injure here.

Suter didn't even get a penalty on the play.    Suter should probably sit a game, but I'm not certain he will.   

(not sure how to embed videos)

Not all videos embed.  Generally youtube videos embed by clicking on the share function and c/p the URL under the social icons directly into the post.

I think he has a hearing, I don't know Suter's discipline history so he may just get fined , but THAT is a play the NHL would like to see eliminated. No place for that out side of a bar or the octagon.

Via twitter @Russostrib

"Suter said he was reaching for puck and went to put hand back on stick when elbow came out. He sent word to Downie thru Crosby."

Should we believe that?

Via twitter @Russostrib
"Suter said he was reaching for puck and went to put hand back on stick when elbow came out. He sent word to Downie thru Crosby."

Should we believe that?

LOL  I'm not buying that.  He should have said the sun was in his eyes.

Suter will not get suspended for this in my opinion. Not a whole lot happening in this one. It would be so easy for Suter to say that he just happened to move his elbow. It's not a flying elbow; the rest of Suter's body stays absolutely still and his elbow doesn't move more than a foot to hit Downie. Besides that, this hit doesn't look all that dangerous. I can see how Suter gets a game as an advanced warning so to speak, but that might be excessive.

Off the record, any cheap shot against Downie should be legal. The guy deserves to have his bell rung every day and twice on Sunday.

Via twitter @Russostrib

Should we believe that?

The James Neal BS excuse. 

Lazy cheapshot deserves a suspension. Suter could have easily taken Downie out of the play with his body. Instead he just elbows him in the head.

@ihabs1993

If that elbow was thrown at Subban would you have the same "he only threw his elbow" attitude. His elbow doesn't move more than a foot? Is kneeing ok as long as its less than a foot? What about headbutts? I only speared him in the face with a foot of my stick.

Minnesota Wild defenceman Ryan Suter will have a hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday afternoon for elbowing Pittsburgh Penguins forward Steve Downie during their game on Tuesday.

"I just hope he's all right," said Suter after the game. "That's not the type of player I am. I personally never want to see anyone get hurt."

TSN

I believe it was a careless play (or Suter's part), I don't think there was any malice on his part, but this is the type of plays the league seems to want to eliminate. I think he should sit for a game, lesson learned, move forward from this and put the incident behind him.

The James Neal BS excuse. 

Lazy cheapshot deserves a suspension. Suter could have easily taken Downie out of the play with his body. Instead he just elbows him in the head.

@ihabs1993

If that elbow was thrown at Subban would you have the same "he only threw his elbow" attitude. His elbow doesn't move more than a foot? Is kneeing ok as long as its less than a foot? What about headbutts? I only speared him in the face with a foot of my stick.

If that elbow was thrown and Subban and he reacted the same way as Downie, everyone and their mother would have called it a dive, but that's beside the point. We could go back and forth with the "what if it happened to this player" game but it wouldn't get us anywhere. I'm just saying people are acting like Suter took six steps and lunged into Downie elbow first. It's not that dirty of a hit. To respond to your Subban comparison, I don't think I'd cry bloody murder if it happened to anyone. It's a bad decision by Suter, don't think I'm saying it's a perfectly clean play. I'm not approaching this with a "he only threw an elbow" attitude, I just don't think this is that big of a deal. Of course, Suter shouldn't have done that, but I think a 2 minute penalty is the appropriate punishment. There's no need to throw the book at him on this one. Suter has a clean record so no suspension in my mind.

Unless he is harboring some deep, dark side, I think it is safe to say Ryan Suter is not a 'dirty player'.

That said, the elbow to Downie was clear as day.

Malicious? Probably not...but consider this:

The Wild are going through MUCH frustration ranging from goaltending to coaching doubts, to team unity, to team confidence.

That HAS to wear on even a level headed guy like Ryan Suter.

So (and this is just my pure speculation), he sees this "POS player Downie" coming at him and says, "Screw it"...Puts up his elbow to keep Downie at bay, possibly not caring where he really hits him, or whether he hits him or not.

Only Suter knows his thought process at that moment.

Either way, if the league is going to be consistent (and the heavens KNOW they struggle with consistency), then it is a textbook elbow...intentional or not, careless or not....team frustrations or not.

Due to his history a game or two for Suter may be more than enough, but honestly, if the league doesn't give Suter at least a game, 'foul' is going to be cried by some, as well as perpetuating the perception that the league just doesn't know how to call ANYTHING down the middle.

I certainly don't want to see a player I like on a team I support get suspensions, but maybe given all that is going on with the Wild, maybe it would help Suter's "Chi" to sit out a game, collect himself, get a breather (Minny was SUPPOSED to manage his minutes this year...but they went back on that promise...), and at the same time, this gives a young D-man on the Iowa Wild (maybe a recall for just one game or two, whatever Suter is out), some ice time with the big club before being returned to regular duty in the AHL.

Perhaps a recall of Matt Dumba to see how far he has come since he was last sent down.

The Wild's season is in a hand basket right now and it is being labeled for a nonstop trip to hell in quick order here...

Parise made a comment to the media a bit back "We are very easy to play against right now"...

And if that is so, and a guy like Suter is trying to do TOO MUCH, up to and including, rough play, goon play, etc, then maybe stepping away from the game for a game or two wouldn't be such a bad thing.....not like the Wild are contending for a division or anything right now....

But back to the point......Yea, unfortunately, I DO see a hearing and possibly some disciplinary action from this incident...pretty clear it was an elbow to me.

I am pretty sure that if it were any other player doing it and they even had a smidge of history about that in their files, they'be looking at a game or two.

I'd just like the league to get their collective heads out of their arses and just call things black n white for a change.

This way ALL players know where the lines are.

Yeah that was no "putting my hand on the stick" elbow. I actually like Suter but that excuse costs him some integrity in my eyes. And Downie looks dazed and confused getting up, so I don't think there's any fraud there.

If that elbow was thrown and Subban and he reacted the same way as Downie, everyone and their mother would have called it a dive, but that's beside the point. We could go back and forth with the "what if it happened to this player" game but it wouldn't get us anywhere. I'm just saying people are acting like Suter took six steps and lunged into Downie elbow first. It's not that dirty of a hit. To respond to your Subban comparison, I don't think I'd cry bloody murder if it happened to anyone. It's a bad decision by Suter, don't think I'm saying it's a perfectly clean play. I'm not approaching this with a "he only threw an elbow" attitude, I just don't think this is that big of a deal. Of course, Suter shouldn't have done that, but I think a 2 minute penalty is the appropriate punishment. There's no need to throw the book at him on this one. Suter has a clean record so no suspension in my mind.

He elbowed a guy in the head on purpose. Does he have a history of it? Well he does now. Maybe he'll think about throwing a clean check next time? Which is what a suspension is supposed to do.

Did I miss the part where the Pens jumped Suter and beat him to a pulp in retaliation for this egregious, dirty hit?

What? They didn't? How can they possibly expect to be a successful franchise?

What's that? They won the game? As if that really matters. What matters is showing the other team you're willing to do something stupid and put your team at a disadvantage.

Rendell is right. We're a nation of wusses...

:ph34r:

Archived