Damian Cox: Leafs Need to be Blown Up.

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whaaaat.....no love for the skills of the mighty Tomas Kaberle???

The MUCH balley-hoooooed Kaberle?

The guy, whom every time I watched a Bolts-Leafs game I had to sit through and listen to announcers talk about how the Lightning needed to find THEIR Tomas Kaberle? (Yea, and we all needed to find a case of the flu to make us happy too...but I digress....)

Surely Tomas Kaberle HAS to fit into the anals of the greats when talking about ANY hallmark Leaf defensemen.....

Fixed.

Kaberle always made me laugh. Halifax is full of leaf fans and when a game was on, you would hear the whole bar of leaf fans frantically waiving their arms yelling "SHOOT! SHOOT GODDAMNIT!", and I would not even need to look up to know Kaberle had the puck.

Sounds suspiciously like one Mr. Matt Carle....

Sort of, except Kaberle was a much better version.  :P

Tomas Kaberle came out of nowhere and became the Leafs best defenseman. Yes he would never shoot (annoying, since he had a wicked shot) and had trouble with more physical forwards, but he controlled the game so well, had a very impressive on ice awareness, and could skate like the wind.

He was no top level, best defenseman in the league type, but he was damn good. I think Kabby in his prime would be considered a #1D these days, or at least very close to one (some people seem to have a very strict view of what constitutes a #1D it seems).

I feel like we're focusing on his twilight years a bit too much here, and not remembering his prime. 

He's no Borje Salming, though.

Point stands that the Leafs can't seem to attract that #1D (old Leetch doesn't count), any more than they can attract a #1C since Sundin. Bernier's the only thing close we've had to a #1G since ol' Eddie the Eagle, and even that's not certain.

Fixed.

Kaberle always made me laugh. Halifax is full of leaf fans and when a game was on, you would hear the whole bar of leaf fans frantically waiving their arms yelling "SHOOT! SHOOT GODDAMNIT!", and I would not even need to look up to know Kaberle had the puck.

Yep. Yep that happened. Quite a bit.

Once teams figured out covering McCabe, the Leafs powerplay suffered...at least until the Tucker  back door play came along.

@WordsOfWisdom

Kaberle was a pretty good puck carrier too. His big problem came when games got physical though.

And as someone mentioned, he wouldn't shoot the puck. Kaberle is another in a long line of #3 defencemen that that Leafs have had over the years and forced into a #1 role. They were decent guys but not capable of being on the top unit for a Stanley Cup team.  :)

He was no top level, best defenseman in the league type, but he was damn good. I think Kabby in his prime would be considered a #1D these days, or at least very close to one (some people seem to have a very strict view of what constitutes a #1D it seems).

If I had to evaluate some players on the Leafs, here is where I think they stand:

Kessel: A-   ("A" because he's an elite scorer, but a "-" because he is so one dimensional.)

Phaneuf: B  (The epitome of a second unit defenceman. Eats a lot of minutes, but can't handle other team's top lines.)

Bernier: B+  (A potential star in the making, but he still needs to take his game up a notch to be in the upper class of NHL goalies.)

:)

Just had a good laugh  compliments of TSN.

Darren Dreger...aka Bob Mckenzie Minnie Me....said that if the Leafs slide continues they will have to possibly look at trading either Kessel or Phaneuf"

They have lost 13 out of 16 Dude!!!!

So what...wait till 17/20?

Plus he said that if a trade is pondered for either one of them...the return would have to be enormous.

Seriously?

Dude? Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude??????

For those looking to delve even deeper into the Leafs' slide, today's article in the Globe and Mail kind of nails it, saying "Collapsing has become part of their identity; it’s part of who they are."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/mirtle-leafs-have-made-collapsing-the-franchises-hallmark/article22532726/

They were just talking on Hockey Central that last night was the 2nd time in a week that an opposing player (Staal) shot the puck AT Leaf captain Dion Phaneuf and that no one respects him. And we think we have bad contracts...

They were just talking on Hockey Central that last night was the 2nd time in a week that an opposing player (Staal) shot the puck AT Leaf captain Dion Phaneuf and that no one respects him. And we think we have bad contracts.

You mean he shot the puck at him after the whistle??

@Podein25

Phaneuf was actually playing in net with the goalie pulled. It was 3-1 at the time and Phaneuf and Staal had fought earlier. Staal got the puck in the slot, saw Dion was playing goalie, and wound up for the slapper. It went in, but he gave Phaneuf the stare like "that's right, a slapshot".

Phaneuf was actually playing in net with the goalie pulled. It was 3-1 at the time and Phaneuf and Staal had fought earlier. Staal got the puck in the slot, saw Dion was playing goalie, and wound up for the slapper. It went in, but he gave Phaneuf the stare like "that's right, a slapshot".

How awesomely awesome!

They were just talking on Hockey Central that last night was the 2nd time in a week that an opposing player (Staal) shot the puck AT Leaf captain Dion Phaneuf and that no one respects him. And we think we have bad contracts...

While I don't disagree that nobody seems to respect him, I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with his contract. I don't like the guy much, but I feel like I'm constantly defending him because the guy can play hockey, contrary to popular belief.

I agree with @nORRis8 though, he does really seem like an asshole.

@nORRis8

I don't disagree and congrats on hating on someone other than a Hab.  :thumbsu:

Come on. Picking on Leafs is too easy. It's like shooting a hate gun packed with .67 caliber rounds of pure hate at floundering, incompetent fish in a barrel full of liquid hate.

While I don't disagree that nobody seems to respect him, I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with his contract. I don't like the guy much, but I feel like I'm constantly defending him because the guy can play hockey, contrary to popular belief.

Umm...me neither?

You mean he shot the puck at him after the whistle??

Thornton shot it at Phaneuf the other day as his dump in. it looked like Phaneuf wanted to dust up with Thornton, but then he made a wise decision and backed out. Thornton would wreck him in a fight and he knew it

Thornton shot it at Phaneuf the other day as his dump in. it looked like Phaneuf wanted to dust up with Thornton, but then he made a wise decision and backed out. Thornton would wreck him in a fight and he knew it

Huh. Yeah Phaneuf is the poster child for everything wrong with the Leafs: he looks tough (he's got that stupid snear) and he talks tough (he seems to be a pretty yappy player), but he's not tough, not really.

Archived