Manning

brelic

I enjoyed watching him last night, and thought he played pretty well aside from a few miscues.

He took a decent amount of shot attempts, and was generally driving the play hard toward the net when in the O zone. Seems like he has a hard shot and a nice quick release. We need that kind of skill.

His mobility looked really good, and coach trusted him enough to put him out for over 5 mins killing penalties. 

Was anyone else impressed enough to think he might deserve a longer look?

I enjoyed watching him last night, and thought he played pretty well aside from a few miscues.

He took a decent amount of shot attempts, and was generally driving the play hard toward the net when in the O zone. Seems like he has a hard shot and a nice quick release. We need that kind of skill.

His mobility looked really good, and coach trusted him enough to put him out for over 5 mins killing penalties.

I noticed him, I will say that. And mostly in a good way. Agree with the things you noticed. He looked big, mobile, decisive in the neutral zone.

Yep: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=735111

However, that may be simply to keep them playing. Phantoms play back-to-back games over the weekend. No reason to keep Manning up over the break. They could bring him back if needed for the Arizona game.

Plus he's in the AHL all-star game on the weekend.

He lead the Phantoms (not just defensemen,...everyone) last year in shots on goal and was leading them again this year. Which is a good sign that lets me know he can bring something this blueline sorely needs....a Dman who can consistently get a shot through traffic ON NET!!!!

When we clean house at the deadline and unload several dmen , maybe Manning finally gets to play . At worst he is a stop gap player to fill a spot until the top prospects are ready. Hopefully he will play well and add mobility,toughness and a good point shot and be a permanent member of the team.

When we clean house at the deadline and unload several dmen , maybe Manning finally gets to play . At worst he is a stop gap player to fill a spot until the top prospects are ready. Hopefully he will play well and add mobility,toughness and a good point shot and be a permanent member of the team.

I know it's a very small sample size, but I didn't see anything in Manning's game the other night that would suggest he couldn't be a 3rd pairing defenseman at the very least. The biggest thing going for him might be his maturity - he was left alone to develop for several years, and is probably a very confident 24 year old blueliner now.

I've been able to attend at least a handful of Phantoms games this year living so close to the arena.  Manning has been by far has been their best player this season with maybe Nick Cousins coming in 2nd.   At 24 years of age I think the Flyers would be wise to shop the Coburns, Grossmanns, MacDonalds at the deadline because I believe Brandon Manning is ready to play with the big club.   

I'm not ready to jump on the Manning Wagon yet but I did notice he seemed to play well.  It also looked like he wasn't laboring when he was skating like Grossmann or the bad Schenn.  That has to account for something. 

Sure, and just to clarify, I'm not riding any wagon - just saying that in my books, he didn't look out of place and I'd like to see more of him. If he can acquit himself well as a 3rd pairing guy, why not give him a shot?

Sure, and just to clarify, I'm not riding any wagon - just saying that in my books, he didn't look out of place and I'd like to see more of him. If he can acquit himself well as a 3rd pairing guy, why not give him a shot?

Agreed.  It would be nice for him to get extended time up with the big club after the All Star break.   I don't expect our D to turn it around with the addition of Manning but it will at least give him some experience in the big league and he will be able to give the Hextall and the brass a look.  If he does well maybe they can make an internal promotion full time as a bottom pairing D man next season rather than sifting through the FA market for castaways. 

A year or two ago the Flyers tried to sign Nikita Zaitsev maybe they can revisit that this offseason with the KHL money struggles his skillset is suppose to be close to Voynov's......it would certainly be worth looking into i say Flyers can use another right hand shot for the blueline and he is only 23.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34773

Nice blaster!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather spend money going after a kid like this than bringing back a older mediocre Schultz.

Archived