Which Canadian Franchise Will Be The NEXT to Hoist the Stanley Cup?

TropicalFruitGirl26

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which Canadian Team Wins the Cup Next?

• Montreal Canadiens-- the return of the winningest franchise in the NHL
    • Toronto Maple Leafs-- Leaf fans will be vindicated before all others
    • Ottawa Senators-- Canada's capital will show the way next
    • Winnipeg Jets-- New Jets, Same fanbase, Shiny Cup!
    • Edmonton Oilers-- A light bulb finally goes on...
    • Calgary Flames-- Slow, steady, successful
    • Vancouver Canucks-- Long time favorite finally makes good
    • Quebec-- NONE of the above get it doen before QC gets a team..and THEY do it!

The knock on him has always been his playoffs.

I think he is a good player and he had a nice run last season, but he really still does have something to prove at the NHL level.

This is precisely my issue with Price.  He's a very good regular season goalie, but he's had issues in the playoffs.  He's Mark Andre Fleury but without the hardware.  I mean, his failures in the playoffs probably aren't quite as buffoonish as Fleury's, but he's down a few notches come playoff time.

Until he does more than a round or two, I'm not going to change that opinion of him.

@AJgoal

Lundqvist at least got to the finals with a team that probably had no business being there.

Rask & Rinne:   Good comparison.  I'm not really impressed until they do something, either.  It's arguably an unfair bar for a goalie since it's a team sport, but that's what mine is for goalies.

It also doesn't help that Price plays for the Habs.  From only a handful of recent playoff series with them, I think their fans are obnoxious and pretentious.  I can't stand them.  So their goalie gets even a higher bar before I'll acknowledge they're any good.  

Price is above average.  That's all I'll give him.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always get asked this question at work. Before I answer I make it clear, being a Canadian Flyer fan, I could not give a rat's ass if the Cup never comes back to Canada.

The answer for me is the Jets.  Winnipeg will develop into a power house and eventually win the cup in the 2019 season....you heard it here first!!  By the time 2019 rolls around, they will have the best group of forwards in the NHL....a deep and talented defense and Hutchinson, who will have his named engraved on Lord Stanely....he is that good.

Don't forget the part where they will have acquired Jeff Carter and he finally scores 60 goals for them that year.  :)

(I'm actually considering placing my bets on the Jets now--except I really don't believe a Canadian team will ever win again)

Don't forget the part where they will have acquired Jeff Carter and he finally scores 60 goals for them that year. :)

(I'm actually considering placing my bets on the Jets now--except I really don't believe a Canadian team will ever win again)

The Jets are as close as any especially if you look at what they have in the cupboard. But until their GM shows he is willing to do what needs to be done to take them to the next level, we might be waiting a while..

I think the Canadiens ARE currently the closest to winning a Cup based on how they are built at the moment, however, to me, it still doesn't equate to actually winning it.

Montreal, for sure, looks like they will be in the mix for a few years to come, but given the well documented struggles of Carey Price in the post season, and the fact that the Canadiens can usually play very good offense or defense at various times...but NEVER both at the same time it seems....I think they still are missing some key ingredients that will net them a Cup anytime soon.

Guys like Subban and Markov are highly touted as skill players, but Markov doesn't have the biggest window of competitive life left to his career, and Subban, while admittedly good at what he does, still has some holes in his overall defense that are quite exploitable...particularly if you know what buttons to push on his psyche.

So who are the Canadiens' next wave to Cup caliber defenseman? And will they arrive and be productive while guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Plekanek, or Pacioretty are still competitive, top tier hockey players?

Oh...and will Carey Price be better or worse by the time the new wave of defensmen arrive ready to go? If not, who is Price's successor?

Other Canadian teams, while not looking so hot now, have the potential to have ALL their necessary parts peak at the right time, together (again, going Oilers, but even Flames and as mentioned, the Jets) for them to be able to win a Cup before the others.

Oh, and while I don't like the idea of cities losing their franchise's, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Florida Panthers were to be relocated to Quebec City JUST in time for their currently very young players to be in the prime of their careers and be in position to bring Quebec a Stanley Cup....question there would be, WOULD the Panthers be relocted there? If so, when? Which is important on the timeline, because while Florida has much youth on the forward and defensive units, their goaltneder, Roberto Luongo is built to win either now, or in the very near future.

Who replaces Luongo if the Panters/New Quebec team tries to make a run with their homegrown talent?

The Jets are as close as any especially if you look at what they have in the cupboard. But until their GM shows he is willing to do what needs to be done to take them to the next level, we might be waiting a while..

Good timing as usual for the Jets. They get their team back, waste away a few years of golden opportunity, and now that the Canadian dollar is on its way back down to 75 cents US again, they decide to get hot. I know they have no control over the value of our dollar, but they could have done more while the dollar was high. They wasted the last few years. Now the Jets are going to be running into payroll problems again real quick, just like in 1996, and won't be able to add the necessary players that would put them over the top. :(

Oh, and while I don't like the idea of cities losing their franchise's, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Florida Panthers were to be relocated to Quebec City JUST in time for their currently very young players to be in the prime of their careers and be in position to bring Quebec a Stanley Cup....question there would be, WOULD the Panthers be relocted there? If so, when? Which is important on the timeline, because while Florida has much youth on the forward and defensive units, their goaltneder, Roberto Luongo is built to win either now, or in the very near future.

Who replaces Luongo if the Panters/New Quebec team tries to make a run with their homegrown talent?

That would be entirely fair. The Nordiques left for Colorado and won a Stanley Cup the next season. It would be justice for Nordiques fans if they were handed a ready-made young near-championship team in the Florida Panthers. :D

But Bettman is going to move them to Seatlle. :angry:

Good timing as usual for the Jets. They get their team back, waste away a few years of golden opportunity, and now that the Canadian dollar is on its way back down to 75 cents US again, they decide to get hot. I know they have no control over the value of our dollar, but they could have done more while the dollar was high. They wasted the last few years. Now the Jets are going to be running into payroll problems again real quick, just like in 1996, and won't be able to add the necessary players that would put them over the top. :(

I think that's a bit premature and a bit harsh. They didn't really have much of a choice but to build through the draft. They weren't going to get a Trouba via trade or FA, or even a Lowry for that matter. They're following the right model: Chicago.

Bad timing on the price of oil for sure.

I think that's a bit premature and a bit harsh. They didn't really have much of a choice but to build through the draft. They weren't going to get a Trouba via trade or FA, or even a Lowry for that matter. They're following the right model: Chicago.

Bad timing on the price of oil for sure.

It just feels like that franchise can't catch a break.  :(

• 1 month later...

Thread ****BUMP*******

For some of our newer posters who would like to weigh in, vote, or otherwise comment on the subject.

Also, while still dealing in only the present, the Canadiens have certainly helped themselves this season is resembling more of a Cup contender than when this thread was started.

Still though, not sure I am convinced they have all the pieces necessary to win it all this year...and if not this year, then when?

Meanwhile, certain other teams like Winnipeg and Calgary are certain to get better and better...and certain other teams like Edmonton (my pick for the next Canadian based franchise to win it all :D  ), to finally get their collective heads out of their collective arses and make a collective effort to field a collectively competitive hockey team on the collective ice (ok, that last part I made up and made no sense...so what :P ).

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I think the Canadiens have a team that can win the East. I'm just not sure if they have the team that can beat the West. They are still too small IMO. I didn't see the whole game last night vs the Ducks, but they lost a close one. Over a 7 game series I think they lose to teams like the Ducks.

While I agree with what you're saying, Price does look like one of the two best goalies in the league...and we all know what that can do for you. The Habs last 2 cup victories had a heck of a lot to do with goaltending.

For sure. I'm a bit surprised the Habs didn't go out and get a more veteran back-up for the playoffs after what happened last year... 

I've gotta go with the Habs. They seem to be built for it now, and this season may even be their year. I picked them to win the East in the preseason, and I see no reason to shy away from that now. They have arguably the best D-man and goalie in the league. They'll be a tough nut to crack in the playoffs.

For sure. I'm a bit surprised the Habs didn't go out and get a more veteran back-up for the playoffs after what happened last year... 

If Price goes down, they're done. You can't just replace one of the top goalies in the league. Heck it took us 30 years to get a mason.

Meanwhile, certain other teams like Winnipeg and Calgary are certain to get better and better...and certain other teams like Edmonton (my pick for the next Canadian based franchise to win it all :D  ), to finally get their collective heads out of their collective arses and make a collective effort to field a collectively competitive hockey team on the collective ice (ok, that last part I made up and made no sense...so what :P ).

The only collective missing was the Borg collective!  :P

• 2 months later...

***Thread bump again****

For those who thought Montreal... still think they will be the 1st to the Cup over the other Canada based teams?

They were ousted and exploited by Tampa Bay's offense and while they seemed good, they may be at their peak NOW....and still have no Cup to show for it.

Possible next year, or is it?

Meanwhile, the Oilers have made significant strides in the management department....and will be getting McDavid.

The Flames, while also eliminated, did look pretty damned good against fellow Canadian team Vancouver and showed lots of heart against a very tough Anaheim team.

And Calgary only looks to get better.

Winnipeg also lost to the Ducks, but a scorer here or there (maybe an upgrade from Pavalec too) can get this team over the hump. They are certainly fast and strong.

For those who want to continue this topic, or for newer posters not aware of this thread, post away!

The Leafs will be the next Canadian team to win the Cup.  You heard it here first.  Sure, they suck right now, but Shanahan just got board approval to scorch the earth, and tear the team down to rebuild it properly.  The team is about to add Strome or Marner, to go along with Nylander and Rielly, to give the team three bluechip pieces going forward.  And the trading of Kessel and Phaneuf can add a few more pieces like that.  No other Canadian team will have that level of elite young talent coming up right now.

Montreal is a very average team, who rely WAAAAY too much on their Goalie.  Ottawa had no business making the playoffs and only did because of the sad state of the east.  The rest of the teams are miles away.

Mark my words.........in 4-5 years time, the LEAFS will be winning the Cup, while the rest of Canada hangs themselves.

:)

Since this thread is active again, I'll give my postseason reassessment.

I don't see Montreal doing it at this point. I think this past season should have been their best chance, and they failed.

Toronto needs a complete change in mentality, as we discussed in another thread. As long as mediocrity is still acceptable, they'll go nowhere.

Vancouver is a question mark to me. I wasn't sold on them before the season, and while they were very impressive and I thought they'd make a good playoff run, I'm not sold on them going into next season. I want to wait and see if they can build on this season or if it proves to be a fluke.

Edmonton only has one direction to go in. The question is how far and how quickly they'll go. Next season has the potential for a vast improvement, but we've heard that song before, so I want to see it first.

Winnipeg is promising, but I still feel like they're missing something. They didn't seem to have the killer instinct in the Anaheim series. Give the Ducks credit, but even though Winnipeg wasn't bad in those third periods, they didn't seem to have the will to finish.

I'll deal with the last two together. Ottawa and Calgary are very similar to me right now. There's a lot of youth on both teams, and they both saw a lot of their youngsters have breakout seasons. This next season could be huge for both. If they continue to build on their success, that will go a long way toward establishing them more firmly. If I had to guess right now, one of these two will be the answer to the title question.

Toronto needs a complete change in mentality, as we discussed in another thread. As long as mediocrity is still acceptable, they'll go nowhere.

Toronto is FAR from mediocre.  They're quite a bit below that at this time.  

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing what we know about the state of Canada's franchises, my assessment is this:

Toronto: Consistently clueless. Nowhere close to winning anything. Biggest off-season acquisition will once again be a non-player. (Babcock.)

Montreal: Consistently good, but consistently not good enough. (The Habs don't attract or keep elite players because they're in Quebec. ie: Cultural barrier.)

Vancouver: Lost in the middle right now and in need of a full rebuild.

Calgary: An up and coming team, but look who's in charge. That's scary.

Winnipeg: Playing in a city with no expectations of success, and no ability to attract top talent. Therefore, no success.

Edmonton: The pieces are starting to fall into place for a return to glory, but sagging oil prices and a weak Canadian dollar will wreck the dream before it can materialize.

That leaves one team...

Ottawa: The Senators are able to put together excellent teams without much pressure or fanfare. Very strong management, excellent player development, and they can still attract big name players. They also have something to prove. I think the Sens are most likely to win the Cup before any other Canadian team does.

Archived