anyone worried?

briere48

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little but the streak would have to continue for a while before any of that got triggered.  I am not sure that this team can keep this up.  The schedule is favorable though so anything can happen.

is anyone worried that this winning streak will give berube an extension and he wont sell anyone at deadline or the offseason?

I know you don't like Berube, but it's not up to him what we do at the deadline. Just sayin'.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Simmonds (again) said last night they aren't giving up and are hoping to make the playoffs. Facebook (from CSN or other Flyers-related sources) is filled with way too many comments about "can they" ? I'm not talking about just fans either. Berube is talking about TImonen's return being some kind of jolt. Players are saying they are hoping this is the start of something. I sure as sh-t hope it's not. I don't want to squeeze in as an 8 seed. They have no chance, so why would I want them to make the playoffs? I doubt they can keep this up, but yeah I'm worried they would get just good enough to f-ck up the draft or trade possibilities.

It would be better if Simmonds said, "Yeah, we're giving up. It's dumb. There's no hope for us anyway. Why do we have to play 84 games this season? For who? For what? This is so unfair." That would be a lot less worrying for all of us.

I understand that many here would like us to bomb and get a top five. But there is too much talent on this team for it to happen, especially if RJ shows signs of life, Mason is Mason, and "youngins" from the farm show promise.  Frankly I don't care about making it or not making it. I think the questions will be whether any of the deadwood can be dumped, and will we "discover" some good pieces for next year, such as MDZ or maybe VDV.  Berube may not be that good, but I would remind you that he has had no problem benching people who are under-productive. In the past, some on this board complained that didn't happen enough.  

Howie

I understand that many here would like us to bomb and get a top five. But there is too much talent on this team for it to happen, especially if RJ shows signs of life, Mason is Mason, and "youngins" from the farm show promise.  Frankly I don't care about making it or not making it. I think the questions will be whether any of the deadwood can be dumped, and will we "discover" some good pieces for next year, such as MDZ or maybe VDV.  Berube may not be that good, but I would remind you that he has had no problem benching people who are under-productive. In the past, some on this board complained that didn't happen enough.  

Howie

i dont want berube on this team because he makes dumb coaching decisions, it's bad enough this team has been playing inconsistent since carter and richard trades, do you seriously want to same problems over and over again for the next 5 years? i dont want that, i want changes now, we are not going to win a cup like that.

is anyone worried that this winning streak will give berube an extension and he wont sell anyone at deadline or the offseason?

At different times this year, they've played games without L. Schenn, MacDonald, and Coburn... and consistently won games while those guys were out.

I actually blame Berube more than those players for their failure and I believe the team's success is limited no matter who is playing for Berube... but that said, we need to shed salary worse than we need a new coach right now and most thinking men (including hextall I hope) will see that we can play without any or all of them and do just as well or better than without them.

That said, I'm really pissed that they're winning again.  Useless success at this point.

I understand that many here would like us to bomb and get a top five. But there is too much talent on this team for it to happen, especially if RJ shows signs of life, Mason is Mason, and "youngins" from the farm show promise. Frankly I don't care about making it or not making it. I think the questions will be whether any of the deadwood can be dumped, and will we "discover" some good pieces for next year, such as MDZ or maybe VDV. Berube may not be that good, but I would remind you that he has had no problem benching people who are under-productive. In the past, some on this board complained that didn't happen enough.

There is talent on this team, but RJ shouldn't be included when discussing any success of this team beyond  a given shift.

The problem with this team is the same problem the team had in 2011 and that's the tug of war between a team for "NOW" and a team of "The Future"

THey're always a little of both.  Never completely either.

Homer had a team of the not too distant future and made some moves to get Pronger making them a team of the "NOW" with a few players that were not quite in top form yet.

Then Homer got antsy and dished Richards and Carter for more "future".  which is fair enough.  they were good trades... only then he broke the bank for Bryzgalov to give them a better chance of winning "now".

Dump Danny Briere and Bryzgalov with buyouts (team of the future) sign LeCavalier (now) and so on and so forth.  This team couldn't decide under Homer.

Now with Hexy they're so desperate to be a team of the future they make the Umberger deal which will only hurt them for three years.  pretty "future" minded if you as me...

he tried to dish Vinny too and talks and rumors have surrounded Luke Schenn and especially Coburn for a while now.  Trading those guys isn't a big future move as their contracts don't run too deeply into it.

I know you don't like Berube, but it's not up to him what we do at the deadline. Just sayin'.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Simmonds (again) said last night they aren't giving up and are hoping to make the playoffs. Facebook (from CSN or other Flyers-related sources) is filled with way too many comments about "can they" ? I'm not talking about just fans either. Berube is talking about TImonen's return being some kind of jolt. Players are saying they are hoping this is the start of something. I sure as sh-t hope it's not. I don't want to squeeze in as an 8 seed. They have no chance, so why would I want them to make the playoffs? I doubt they can keep this up, but yeah I'm worried they would get just good enough to f-ck up the draft or trade possibilities.

I'm in agreement. But That said, I don't see the point of another middling first rounder. They do okay with lower first round picks. This is a special year. If they're not going high, I could honestly care less if they go to the playoffs and draft #16 I instead of # 13.

i dont want berube on this team because he makes dumb coaching decisions, it's bad enough this team has been playing inconsistent since carter and richard trades, do you seriously want to same problems over and over again for the next 5 years? i dont want that, i want changes now, we are not going to win a cup like that.

Comete agreement here. I'd just as soon see a commitment to not going anywhere and get something valuable this summer.

If dumping Chief now had any beneficial value now (I.e. Help them lose more) i'd be in support. I don't think it does.

They'd just play better.

What will happen is what had happened For the past few years. They'll either make the playoffs and not do well or miss and not draft well.

I miss the days when we were usually contenders in some fantasy.

It would be better if they talked the talk but just lost anyway.

Winning as often as they have been is the problem. I don't care what they say about it. This is no time to find their game.

It would be better if Simmonds said, "Yeah, we're giving up. It's dumb. There's no hope for us anyway. Why do we have to play 84 games this season? For who? For what? This is so unfair." That would be a lot less worrying for all of us.

Greetings:

King Knut raised the question of near versus 3-4 year out future. Well, I agree that we always seem to be 3-4 years out. Our most successful years in the recent past have been flukes where we've been marginal playoff teams that have made it to the top four and SCF.  That says there is planning and randomness we don't understand.  

If Hexy really does show patience it would be great. You might say that the team's performance reflects that Homer made at least some good decisions.  Voracek, Mason, and Giroux are among his pluses.  The irony is that his minuses will be haunting us for some time.  

Meanwhile, I don't think a group of professionals will deliberately tank.  And for guys like MDZ and VDV, this is an audition for the future, within or outside of the Flyers.  Meanwhile, the trade deadline is a month away and their might be surprises.  But the bottom line is that I don't think 15-16 will be much different from this year, with or without Berube.  There will be personnel turnover that outweighs coaching change...just one man's thinking.

Howie

Exactly what i'm worried about....losing out on a top 5 pick. Yet still just missing the playoffs. I'd rather move as many guys and they can who need to go.

So reinsert Coburn and GrossmanN and get back to losing....because i don't want Berube the coach after this season.

Topics like this really rub me the wrong way. No true Flyers fan really wants the team to tank and fold half the season in for the chance to *maybe* pick up one guy from the draft. No true fan really thinks this team is one draft pick away from winning a cup. All this hand wringing and complaining about how the Flyers are doing the wrong thing by trying to win games is completely hypocritical. How much **** have supposed Flyers fans given the Pens posters about doing them same thing to acquire Lemieux and Crosby and Malkin and now whining about NOT doing the same thing. It's sad. You're sad.

No true Flyers fan really wants the team to tank and fold half the season in for the chance to *maybe* pick up one guy from the draft

It not JUST the draft pick for me. I want Berube gone as well and then GrossmanN and Coburn and maybe even one of the 3 bad contracts of Mcdud, Vinny and RJ gone if they can get it done. Well if the start winning and start getting close to a playoff spot say 10th or 9th  well i expect those things to not happen.

For the wheel in Hexy's head to starting in the direction of hey maybe i should be patient and hold onto these guys and and the coach and see what next year brings. Not what i want.

So for the to lose and then remove Berube and some of the dead weight AND get a sweet draft pick in the process.....yes i'd accept losing for the rest of this season.

Personally, I'm not "worried." I think Hextall knows what this team is, and knows the reality of where they are in the standings. After tonight, they have a four day layoff and then February's schedule is hardly easy, Washington and Columbus twice, Islanders, Rangers, Nashville, and Montreal. They do have games against Buffalo, Toronto, and Carolina in there, but they're unlikely to make up enough ground to really be in the playoff race come the trade deadline. Even if Timonen comes back soon, it'll take him 5-10 games to really be in game shape, so he won't have a huge effect on the team's position by then. Hextall will sell off some pieces and commit to the rebuild.

Nobody that I've seen is advocating the team actively tank like Pittsburgh did by demoting players and replacing them with scrubs, or like the Sixers did by trading away every half decent player they had for a handful of draft picks. Intellectually, they're ok with the team finishing as poorly as possible, but they don't want the team to actually TRY to do that. They're advocating moving the players they don't see as part of the future. Keeping the good young players and veterans on the team and actually building a team. Will that result in a better draft pick? Maybe, but as we've seen with some of the players that could possibly be moved missing games, the team actually plays a bit better. So who knows.

Howie

Then why have Coburn and Grossmann been given a free pass for their poor play this year? Honestly, those two crapped the bed more than anyone on the team and they continued to get a free pass from the dip **** behind the bench. Berube only benches players who aren't favourites of his. If he was intent on benching players who weren't performing well, Coburn and Grossmann would have been at the top of the list several times.

Clarkie:

Agreed on Grossmann, whose stats and speed would warrant benching. Coburn makes mistakes but at least he can bring the puck out of the zone. Other than MDZ and Streit, who else? By the way, if he could get a decent pick and/or picl, i would say goodbye to Coburn.

Howie

Greetings:

King Knut raised the question of near versus 3-4 year out future. Well, I agree that we always seem to be 3-4 years out. Our most successful years in the recent past have been flukes where we've been marginal playoff teams that have made it to the top four and SCF. That says there is planning and randomness we don't understand.

If Hexy really does show patience it would be great. You might say that the team's performance reflects that Homer made at least some good decisions. Voracek, Mason, and Giroux are among his pluses. The irony is that his minuses will be haunting us for some time.

Meanwhile, I don't think a group of professionals will deliberately tank. And for guys like MDZ and VDV, this is an audition for the future, within or outside of the Flyers. Meanwhile, the trade deadline is a month away and their might be surprises. But the bottom line is that I don't think 15-16 will be much different from this year, with or without Berube. There will be personnel turnover that outweighs coaching change...just one man's thinking.

Howie

The frustrating part about Homer's decisions is that he DID make so many good ones, but then undid them.

He mortgages the future to win ow with pronger..

Then He trades Richie and carter as they ck Enti their own for "the future" but then bankrolls bryz so he can win now. (Essentially attempting to correct the reason Richie and carter didn't win a cup).

He gets Carle, waits til he gets good and has the chance to resign him for a respectable salary and let's him walk.

He brings Jagr back from Siberia, proves that he can still play and for cheap... And lets him walk.

He gets us a Bobrovsky and then let's Lavvy play him too many games so he HAS to trade him to stay under the cap (when he should have traded almost anyone else instead$.

Then of course he saves his bacon a little with the buyouts, only to mortgage everything again on VLC, Mac and Streit (not that I'm complaining about Mark).

Homer was bipolar. Or multiple personality disorder or something.

No matter how you slice it it = nuts!

Greetings:

King Knut raised the question of near versus 3-4 year out future. Well, I agree that we always seem to be 3-4 years out. Our most successful years in the recent past have been flukes where we've been marginal playoff teams that have made it to the top four and SCF. That says there is planning and randomness we don't understand.

If Hexy really does show patience it would be great. You might say that the team's performance reflects that Homer made at least some good decisions. Voracek, Mason, and Giroux are among his pluses. The irony is that his minuses will be haunting us for some time.

Meanwhile, I don't think a group of professionals will deliberately tank. And for guys like MDZ and VDV, this is an audition for the future, within or outside of the Flyers. Meanwhile, the trade deadline is a month away and their might be surprises. But the bottom line is that I don't think 15-16 will be much different from this year, with or without Berube. There will be personnel turnover that outweighs coaching change...just one man's thinking.

Howie

The frustrating part about Homer's decisions is that he DID make so many good ones, but then undid them.

He mortgages the future to win ow with pronger..

Then He trades Richie and carter as they ck Enti their own for "the future" but then bankrolls bryz so he can win now. (Essentially attempting to correct the reason Richie and carter didn't win a cup).

He gets Carle, waits til he gets good and has the chance to resign him for a respectable salary and let's him walk.

He brings Jagr back from Siberia, proves that he can still play and for cheap... And lets him walk.

He gets us a Bobrovsky and then let's Lavvy play him too many games so he HAS to trade him to stay under the cap (when he should have traded almost anyone else instead$.

Then of course he saves his bacon a little with the buyouts, only to mortgage everything again on VLC, Mac and Streit (not that I'm complaining about Mark).

Homer was bipolar. Or multiple personality disorder or something.

No matter how you slice it it = nuts!

King Knut:

I think your assessment is spot on.  It reminds me of Richard Nixon...take away Watergate you'd say he was a terrific president . . .. getting us out of Vietnam, opening up China, etc.  

I do not question his integrity or his love of the franchise.  But I have to wonder if the leadership puts its decisions through a kill board or other group that really forces the top to question assumptions.  Both VLC and McDonald seemed like stinkers given the declining performance of the former and the poor possession of the latter--apparently big blunders have been a problem even if he put up big numbers, etc. So we can fault Homer but something tells me there is a bigger problem that is not simply a win-now owner.  

Best,

Howie

It would be better if he didn't say anything, rather than feed us Stepford lines.

Topics like this really rub me the wrong way. No true Flyers fan really wants the team to tank and fold half the season in for the chance to *maybe* pick up one guy from the draft. No true fan really thinks this team is one draft pick away from winning a cup. All this hand wringing and complaining about how the Flyers are doing the wrong thing by trying to win games is completely hypocritical. How much **** have supposed Flyers fans given the Pens posters about doing them same thing to acquire Lemieux and Crosby and Malkin and now whining about NOT doing the same thing. It's sad. You're sad.

You're not a real person. Real people don't say this. 12-years old and under can get away with it because...they're kids. But if you are an adult or even a young adult and these words come out of your mouth, you need to see a medical professional and have a physical. You might be a robot.

Archived