Sabres close to deal with Ducks for Myers

yave1964

http://www.inquisitr.com/1820372/nhl-trade-rumors-buffalo-sabres-working-on-deal-to-send-tyler-myers-to-anaheim-ducks/

Been trying to stay up on this, his deal, if it happens will set the market for Yandle and others.

The Ducks supposedly have offered picks and a young forward, Etem or Devant Pelly. Supposedly, the Sabres want any trade to start with super goalie prospect John Gibson who got hurt and then buried as they wanted a veteran back up to Andersson and felt Gibson needed to play every day in the AHL.

Sounds like it might get done. If the Sabres get Gibson as the key to the return they are a long way towards getting it together.

@yave1964  Wow, if the Sabres could somehow secure their goalie of the future in the Myers deal, that would be a move in the right direction. They have some very nice defensive prospects that can fill the void of Myers leaving. I wonder what the Ducks would have to give up?  My guess is Gibson and a 1st in 2016....but that might be a tad high.

Wow that would be a huge trade.  I'd be also curious to see how well Myers does on a good team.  The Ducks really don't need Gibson with Anderson.  

This is a win / win for Buffalo

@yave1964  Wow, if the Sabres could somehow secure their goalie of the future in the Myers deal, that would be a move in the right direction. They have some very nice defensive prospects that can fill the void of Myers leaving. I wonder what the Ducks would have to give up?  My guess is Gibson and a 1st in 2016....but that might be a tad high.

Yeah but aren't they already losing with these said defensive prospects AND Myers???? So how will they be better without him?

Interestingly, if you read the Buffalo press, the Sabres continue to state that they are not shopping Meyers for trade.

Not shopping is not the same as not listening to offers, lol. With the way the english language is exploited by politico's and hockey GM's sometimes I wonder if we need a new way of talking. I keep waiting for the day that some poor player is decapitated in a fatal car crash and the GM announces that said player is going to be out with an UBI for an indeterminate amount of time. :lol:

This is a win / win for Buffalo

Interestingly, if you read the Buffalo press, the Sabres continue to state that they are not shopping Meyers for trade.

There is a point in a tear down and rebuild mode that you have to actually start rebuilding.

Myers is 24, is signed for four more years and his actual salary-vs-cap hit is actually going down.

As I've said many times, I'd trade anybody for the right deal - but if I've got a 24-year-old, potential franchise defenceman under contract, it's going to have to be a "blow my doors off" deal.

but if I've got a 24-year-old, potential franchise defenceman under contract

Yup.  If you're rebuilding, that's what you trade for, not what you trade away.

Old truism, you build from defense out..

I read a rumor that Buffalo was considering a trade of Stafford for Evander Kane.   That's interesting.  

On the plus side.   Stafford might help Jets make the playoffs.  They'd be rid of Kane,  who doesn't have a future there.  Buffalo would gain another young prospect.  

The bad thing is that Buffalo would swap substance for shadow.  Stafford is no superstar, but he's a reliable teammate.    

Imho, it all hinges upon the character of Kane.  If there's a decent chance that he'll be teachable, I'd make the trade if I was Murray.

Archived