Tired of the Ovechkin stuff

nossagog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzscf-UvyE4

Just don't get how he continually gets away with stuff like this, and the officials just turn their heads. How can no one have seen this slash?   I want to know, what was he thinking just before he two handed another player to the back of the legs.  Listening to the Craps announcers, they just laughable, 'he just got a piece of him'?  "Could have been a penalty?"

I guess its just Ovie playing with passion again.

It was but an accident.... :ph34r:

Yeah, the problem is, he has so many accidents that injure other players.  I was more worried that Letang would get his head on the boards.  There was no way he could get to that puck through Letangs leg.  It was just wreckless as usual.

@nossagog

In all honesty it looks like he was going for the puck there. Yes it was still a slash. Letang ended up coming back (shocker) Kunitz and Perron got away with multiple crosschecks on Ovechkin in retaliation. Pens then fold. Typical playoff atmosphere i guess.

The refs just took your guy out of the box the game before for the very first time any of us can recall...so theres that.

@nossagog

In all honesty it looks like he was going for the puck there. Yes it was still a slash. Letang ended up coming back (shocker) Kunitz and Perron got away with multiple crosschecks on Ovechkin in retaliation. Pens then fold. Typical playoff atmosphere i guess.

The refs just took your guy out of the box the game before for the very first time any of us can recall...so theres that.

I can admit that he's trying to get to the puck, but with the current laws of physics and science, its still not possible to pass your hockey stick through a players leg and hit the puck.  It was a reckless play, and their should have been a penalty on it, you are still responsible for your stick. The problem that I'm having is that he's reckless an awful lot, and other players get hurt because of it.  The speed they were going towards the boards, I thought Letang was coming out of that concussed.

Don't get me wrong here, it wasn't the calls/non calls that lost that game for the Pens, they had their chances, they scored 0 on the PP again.   This is not about the win/loss of the game. My problem here is yet another reckless play by Ovie, that had potential injury to another player, has yet again gone by without even a penalty on the play.

As to the last comment, so the fact that the refs got together to get the call right in one game means that they can screw up in the next and that's okay?

Like this also?  Kunitz didn't even have the puck.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FaintForcefulArmedcrab.webm

You can have Kunitz, please.  If no one sticks up for letang, pens are soft and won't resopnd, if someone stands up then their cheap, dirty and whiny.  Pens were going to get hammered either way by some.  Pick your poison.  

@nossagog

You mean the officials huddled and reversed a call correctly? God forbid. Never seen that happen.  Oh wait - it happened earlier this year against the Wings.  Kunitz and one of the Wings were being sent off for coincidental minors.  Both reversed. So there's that.  :ph34r:

You can have Kunitz, please.  If no one sticks up for letang, pens are soft and won't resopnd, if someone stands up then their cheap, dirty and whiny.  Pens were going to get hammered either way by some.  Pick your poison.  

Welcome to the Flyerland double-standard.  Kunitz is a Pen?  Those are "cross checks" he got away with.  If he's wearing orange? He's "sticking up for his guy".  

I can admit that he's trying to get to the puck, but with the current laws of physics and science, its still not possible to pass your hockey stick through a players leg and hit the puck.  It was a reckless play, and their should have been a penalty on it, you are still responsible for your stick. The problem that I'm having is that he's reckless an awful lot, and other players get hurt because of it.  The speed they were going towards the boards, I thought Letang was coming out of that concussed.

Don't get me wrong here, it wasn't the calls/non calls that lost that game for the Pens, they had their chances, they scored 0 on the PP again.   This is not about the win/loss of the game. My problem here is yet another reckless play by Ovie, that had potential injury to another player, has yet again gone by without even a penalty on the play.

As to the last comment, so the fact that the refs got together to get the call right in one game means that they can screw up in the next and that's okay?

I agree with everything you say here. But stars get preferential treatment. Crosby and Malkin get it in spades. So does Ovechkin. You were just on the wrong side of it last night and it pisses you off. I know the feeling. I never once saw the refs reverse a call when Crosby hit the deck when nobody touched him. Not once. The refs saw the slash, but its OV so they let it go. As they've done countless times with other star players. And just to prove they were wrong, they let Kunitz and Perron have a go at Ovechkin. Its a stupid way to officiate and thats how games get out of hand. But it isn't anything new. 

You mean the officials huddled and reversed a call correctly? God forbid. Never seen that happen.  Oh wait - it happened earlier this year against the Wings.  Kunitz and one of the Wings were being sent off for coincidental minors.  Both reversed. So there's that.  :ph34r:

So it happened twice (and both times involving a Pen)   :thumbsu:

Welcome to the Flyerland double-standard.  Kunitz is a Pen?  Those are "cross checks" he got away with.  If he's wearing orange? He's "sticking up for his guy".  

Double standard? 

Is it possible Ovechkin was going for the puck? Did he slash Letang? Should he have got a penalty? Did he not because he's a star? Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Then the refs let your guys have a go at #8 for the even up. We've seen this play out many times. 

Ovechkin should have been called for the slash. 2 minutes. This play is not nearly as cheap a shot as many he gets away with every game he plays. The guy can't even throw a check without leaving  his skates......

Double standard? 

Is it possible Ovechkin was going for the puck? Did he slash Letang? Should he have got a penalty? Did he not because he's a star? Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Then the refs let your guys have a go at #8 for the even up. We've seen this play out many times. 

If by "have a go" you mean try and goad him into a fight or at a minimum taking a dumb penalty?  Yeah.  Pretty innocuous...and to OV's credit he was having none of it (lesson to be learned there for the Pens).

We've seen that same scenario play out countless of times but for some reason you seem to be suggesting that Kunitz "got away" with something there which is nonsense.

Any other team and it's "kudos for sticking up for your guy..." but when it's the Pens it's "Kunitz got away with one...".

So it happened twice (and both times involving a Pen)  

B-b-b-b-but I though it never happened (especially with other teams). "...for the very first time any of us can recall...".  Ginko biloba, maybe?  ;)

If by "have a go" you mean try and goad him into a fight or at a minimum taking a dumb penalty?  Yeah.  Pretty innocuous...and to OV's credit he was having none of it (lesson to be learned there for the Pens).

We've seen that same scenario play out countless of times but for some reason you seem to be suggesting that Kunitz "got away" with something there which is nonsense.

Any other team and it's "kudos for sticking up for your guy..." but when it's the Pens it's "Kunitz got away with one...".

As i already said, OV got away with it because of who he is. he should have got a penalty, but may have been going for the puck.

And again , as I said, the refs let the game get out of hand by {a} not penalizing #8 and then (b) letting Kunitz and Perron crosscheck him. I never said I had a problem with what Kunitz did. Just that the refs didn't penalize him for it in an eye for an eye response. 

You're anti-Pens paranoia is all in your imagination here. 

B-b-b-b-but I though it never happened (especially with other teams). "...for the very first time any of us can recall...".  Ginko biloba, maybe?  ;)

I for one didn't see the Pens/Wings game where it happened. Can't remember what I didn't know, can i?

As i already said, OV got away with it because of who he is. he should have got a penalty, but may have been going for the puck.

And again , as I said, the refs let the game get out of hand by {a} not penalizing #8 and then (b) letting Kunitz and Perron crosscheck him. I never said I had a problem with what Kunitz did. Just that the refs didn't penalize him for it in an eye for an eye response. 

You're anti-Pens paranoia is all in your imagination here. 

I agree. I was watching the game when it happened (although didn't watch the whole game). I could see how the refs a) missed it, or b) thought it was a hockey play (strange as it was).

My first reaction was that he was trying to get to the puck and had a legitimate chance at doing so the way he swung at it. Upon replay, I viewed it less so, and thought it could have been an accidentally-on-purpose slash. At the very least he was careless with his stick and should have been penalized. But I can see how the refs saw it the way I did at first.

I for one didn't see the Pens/Wings game where it happened. Can't remember what I didn't know, can i?

Or maybe one can assume it happens more frequently and not just when it involves Crosby/Pens?

Or maybe one can assume it happens more frequently and not just when it involves Crosby/Pens?

I honestly can't think of it happening. You came up with one other instance. Doesn't sound too frequent. 

I'm also not making a big deal of it. Just taking a jab when given the opportunity.

Ya know, the reason I started this thread was not about the hooks, holds, slashes, face washes, or idiotic cross checks that do nothing to someone that get bypassed in every game that you can watch in the NHL. Or about my teams bad players vs your teams bad players.    Its about the stuff that is above and beyond, and how many people that OV has sent out of games or on the IR.  Its not about ANY other player and what they get away with.

OV gets away with stuff that seriously injures other players.   He constantly leaves his feet to put his shoulder into peoples head. He constantly looks for vulnerable players along the wall that are already engaged with an opposing player to make a big hit, many times disregarding the puck. He has ended one player's career, knocked  many out of games and put many in the quiet room.  And every time it happens, its just because he's physical, or its his passion for the game. And his fans say its just hockey and it happens.   Well when a swath or destruction and injuries follows one player at such a high rate, when you have such a pattern, well something is wrong.

THIS is what I'm talking about. Not the normal star treatment of getting away with hooking and holding that no one denies.  I'm talking about things that are putting other teams players out of the lineup.  What I wanted to have was a serious talk about OV, and what HE does on the ice.  

If you'd like to start a thread about what enter your least favorite players name here does and gets away with, please feel free to create a thread for it.

Archived