The Flyers Playoff Push

brelic

they are very inconsistent, this is what happens when homer just puts together players they are just best overall and not about the character/winning mentality because they never won anything, the 2007-2010  was so good because the roster was put together with players that had winning mentality and were very consistent, pronger, briere, hartnall, gagne, timms, hartnell, matt carle they werent just good players, they were players that knew how to win and not quit.

when homer decided to gut the 2010 roster that's when everything went downhill, getting rid of gagne, pronger getting injuried, briere getting injuried and showing his inconsistancy, getting rid of richards and carter, letting carle go etc, homer deciding to overpay best players and not get players with winning mentality, that's hurt this team with the inconsistancy from these best players. you need good coaching and a gm that knows to get consistent players, that's what's wrong with this team.

that's what hextall has to do for this team to get back into contention, right now, it's not happening, they play too inconsistant to be a cup contender even if they get in, it's going to show like what happened last year against the rangers.

Did you fall asleep during those years? It also seems someone fed you some bad information during your slumber. Shame on that person.

If the draft is Sooo deep, then there will be a good player available no matter where we pick , Right ?

the draft is jack and the beanstalk for me, magic beans and a promise for the future, except when the flyers climb to the top Pavel Brendl and James van Riemsdyk are waiting and not Wayne Gretzky. so i am all for fighting on, winning as much as possible so that i can say a down year for my team is .500 or better. Let this group grow together get some more playoff experience, and jettison some deadwood.    f this talk of tanking.

@brelic

oh i agree, i also think the gnashing of teeth over this missed opportunity or whatever is silly.   I have to say i'm  glad the boys are playing well finally.  It is not like there isn't talent on the roster.   There are holes for sure, but we've got some really good pieces in place , and i hope they don't ever get the loser stench on themselves. 

I have to say i'm  glad the boys are playing well finally.

Me too. They are not a legitimate bottom feeding team. 

Before the season started, I thought they would be pretty much exactly where they are now - bubble playoff team. 

If the draft is Sooo deep, then there will be a good player available no matter where we pick , Right ?

Maybe. But most scouts say it runs 10-12 deep with bluechippers.

the draft is jack and the beanstalk for me, magic beans and a promise for the future, except when the flyers climb to the top Pavel Brendl and James van Riemsdyk are waiting and not Wayne Gretzky. so i am all for fighting on, winning as much as possible so that i can say a down year for my team is .500 or better. Let this group grow together get some more playoff experience, and jettison some deadwood.    f this talk of tanking.

Magic beans? Where do you think most of the players come from? Very few players come into the NHL as FAs now.  Out of the top 25 scorers in the NHL, 15 were taken top 10.  6 more were first round picks. ONE was a FA.  so 21 of the top 25 scorers this year were taken high, with one FA. 

Maybe. But most scouts say it runs 10-12 deep with bluechippers.

Magic beans? Where do you think most of the players come from? Very few players come into the NHL as FAs now.  Out of the top 25 scorers in the NHL, 15 were taken top 10.  6 more were first round picks. ONE was a FA.  so 21 of the top 25 scorers this year were taken high, with one FA. 

magic beans...crap shoot, call it whatever, sucking and getting a high draft pick doesn't guarantee diddly pooh.  I know where the good players come from. I also know that these kids are 18 in most cases and aren't done growing and have a lot of maturation that needs to happen too.

Giroux was taken at 22... Keith was a second rounder.  if the draft is deep this team will get a good player picking at 16 or whatever.  my point is ******* win hockey  games.  

@mojo1917

....aaaaaaaand they didn't.

and then it's nights like last night where i can totally see where people want to blow this roster up. 

our guys looked slow, and unskilled. Do the 'Canes have better team speed ?  how on earth can you not hit Semin early so he goes away ...? that effort while "there" was embarrassing . 

i still would rather this group of youngish players play for a team with a "culture of winning" or at least putting forth a winning effort than, a team with mystery injuries and longer than usual rehab stints in Allentown.

we're not catching the teams at the bottom any faster than we are the teams at the top , it's frustrating. no question.

our guys looked slow, and unskilled. Do the 'Canes have better team speed ?  how on earth can you not hit Semin early so he goes away ...? that effort while "there" was embarrassing . 

This is what I was getting at when I posted yesterday *before* the game that we play a 'slow' game. There are a few cement boot players on our squad, but for the most part, forwards especially, there should be no reason we can't pressure the opposition's players, and play a real pursuit game. 

For some reason, we don't. There are some games in which we look like we do, but in the majority of our games, we are beat to loose pucks and our puck carriers are pressured into rushing their plays. 

For some reason, we don't. There are some games in which we look like we do, but in the majority of our games, we are beat to loose pucks and our puck carriers are pressured into rushing their plays.

The team plays to the level of its competition.

I don't know how else one can explain losing to Columbus, barely beating Buffalo and then beating Nasvhille and Washington before losing to Carolina (although Nashville looked like they took the night off and played for a point).

Flyers are 1-2 against the Canes this year. Yes, two of the Canes 22 wins have come against the Flyers. With two more to play.

Boston lost in regulation last night to an actual playoff team and the Flyers couldn't edge out a bottom feeder for even a point while Florida took home a point from Chicago.

If this team would just beat the teams it "should" beat and not start the season with ridiculous slumps, they wouldn't be in the position they find themselves.

#nodoubt™

So if the push is not there come 3/1 and they decide to unload who goes and for what? 

Not saying I want any or all of these players gone, but what should they provide in a return?

Coburn

Couturier 

L Schenn

B Schenn

Read

Grossmann

Bellemare

Those are players that I see that can reasonably be moved, but what would the return actually be if it looks like the Flyers are going to sell. 

So if the push is not there come 3/1 and they decide to unload who goes and for what? 

I'd say the primary focus is moving defensemen to shed salary. Don't take back roster players - get picks and/or prospects. Teams make stupid stupid moves at this time of year. We need to capitalize on that. How much is Washington shooting itself for trading Forsberg for Martin Erat????? Wow, that just about tops anything Homer's ever done.

The next focus is moving deadweight - VLC, Umberger, MacDud. I seriously doubt that will happen.

Then you can focus on moving a core piece like Couturier or B Schenn if it makes sense in Hextall's perspective, but that kind of trade is more likely to happen at the draft.

Archived