How good is Radko Gudas

Besides fighting and hitting, can he play?

Gudas can play.

He isn't the most graceful skater, and his puck handling still needs work, but he has a good blue line shot, can usually find an open winger out of his own zone, and is good for clearing his goaltender's porch.

He is only 25, so he has some time to hone the areas he isn't so good at.

If Philly doesn't have him do 10 things at once on the ice because other D-men can't, he should be a fine addition to the Flyer blue line.

Besides fighting and hitting, can he play?

He is injured and won't play this year. He is a physical stay at home Dmen who has only been in the NHL 3 years.

So for comparison sake i will compare him to the Flyers current and former stay at home Dmen.

Gudas--------126 gp---7 gls 25 asts 32 pts even

Coburn ------155 gp---7 gls 24 asts 31 pts -17

Luke----------175 gp---9 gls 24 asts 33 pts -2

GrossmanN 161 gp---6 gls 21 asts 27 pts -3

Mcdud -------177 gp---9gls 42 asts 51 pts -30

So he is pretty close to what they already have already on defense he is just younger than all of them and God i hope he can actually play better defense than them all cause............well that is what stay at home Dmen are suppose to do hence the stay at home title. So we will see.

Gudas' Hero Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/) which is meant to give a visual of a player's usage adjusted numbers, and how that player fits into the tradition 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing definition.

S1tVuaN.jpg

He's bringing 1st pairing possession numbers, and 2nd pairing production, but is bleeding AHL level chances against. My feeling is that if the Flyers are looking for a shut down guy, this isn't him, but there's offense to be had.

Gudas' Hero Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/) which is meant to give a visual of a player's usage adjusted numbers, and how that player fits into the tradition 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing definition.

S1tVuaN.jpg

He's bringing 1st pairing possession numbers, and 2nd pairing production, but is bleeding AHL level chances against. My feeling is that if the Flyers are looking for a shut down guy, this isn't him, but there's offense to be had.

Well he will be a bottom pair Dman to start with i imagine and he make replace someone on the current roster who may be traded. Or they could just plan to have him as the 7th....the best part is he can be waived to remove his cap hit....so no worries.

Well he will be a bottom pair Dman to start with i imagine and he make replace someone on the current roster who may be traded. Or they could just plan to have him as the 7th....the best part is he can be waived to remove his cap hit....so no worries.

Unless his surgery adversely affects his abilities on the ice, I seriously doubt the Flyers got Gudas to be a 7th d-man or to waive him.

I believe they fully expect him to be a regular contributor to their blue line.

Yeah, I meant to say that if he's deployed properly, players like this can be extremely useful, particularly at his cap hit.

Unless his surgery adversely affects his abilities on the ice, I seriously doubt the Flyers got Gudas to be a 7th d-man or to waive him.

I believe they fully expect him to be a regular contributor to their blue line.

You could right....have you seen our current D corp?????

They stink, hell without playing i think he may be already better than Mcdud, GrossmanN, Luke and Schultz. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He could be the 3rd best Dman by default.

and is good for clearing his goaltender's porch.

well, that would be a refreshing change!

A buddy of mine is a converted Bolts fan living in the St Pete area, he was not happy to see Gudas go....but he's definitely on the Coburn honeymoon

Sounds fair to me. If he is good at clearing infront of net thats enought for me WELCOME. Really nice he is only 25 too. Just dont want another turnover guy but he seems to be not.

I don't know about clearing the net, but we definitely can talk about what kinds of shots/chances are being generated against while Gudas is on the ice by looking at the right image:

E86jv0V.jpg

In other words, there are definitely more shots coming in from the home plate area while Gudas is on the ice. He was by no means the only player on the ice, but the number drops from 1.34 more than league average to 1.08 when he's off the ice, and he was playing 3rd pairing minutes, so there may be something there to pay attention to.

I don't know about clearing the net, but we definitely can talk about what kinds of shots/chances are being generated against while Gudas is on the ice by looking at the right image:

E86jv0V.jpg

In other words, there are definitely more shots coming in from the home plate area while Gudas is on the ice. He was by no means the only player on the ice, but the number drops from 1.34 more than league average to 1.08 when he's off the ice, and he was playing 3rd pairing minutes, so there may be something there to pay attention to.

ink-blot-test.jpg

Rorschach-thumb-324x236-101997.jpeg

That looks like Psychiatrist Pictures Test............maybe that explains some things......

E86jv0V.jpg

Looks like those color vision plates. All I see are a bunch of dots.

God is terrible... 

Hey now, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Don't get me wrong, given the state of the world I can see how you'd come to that conclusion, but the book isn't completely written yet is it? He/she might have an ace up the sleeve before this is all said and done....or not.

Archived