BERUBE FIRED!

DaGreatGazoo

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me throw this out there...  Is this Hextall being methodical or was this Eddie's decision?  A whopping 48 hours after he said he would be "methodical" in his approach he fires Berube...   

Probably being methodical. If you fire the coach *at* the end of season press conference, that will be the only topic. If you have your press conference to talk about players, contract status, injury status, wishlist, etc, like he did, the media will write pieces about that and give players their due. 

Then you fire the coach a few days later, and the media has a new shiny to write about.

Most thoughtful answer I've seen...awesome take!

BTW, I didn't realize Terry Murray was the guy running the team down there....yea, he does NOT fit the mold of 'new coach on the scene'....definitely need new blood.

No, but at least he knows defense and special teams.  He's a far better coach than Chief and is much better suited to this role of developing younger players with fundamentals of system hockey to prepare them for the NHL.

That said, I like the idea of putting a tandem in the two positions and I have no need to keep Murray around just because he's a better coach than Berube. 

Hopefully, they'll have a "choking situation" and he'll be let go of, as well.

Hopefully?? They have they haven't made the playoffs since he has been coach down there...and missed again this year....i expect his head to roll sometime after their season is done this weekend...i can wait till then.

So let me throw this out there... Is this Hextall being methodical or was this Eddie's decision? A whopping 48 hours after he said he would be "methodical" in his approach he fires Berube...

My honest interpretation all year has been that Hexy has wanted Chief gone throughout and that Ed's been the thing forcing his hand to keep him.  There was nothing about that Presser that made me think Hexy wasn't chomping at the bit to tell everyone, "Yeah, Chief's fired."   He probably just got the final okay from the money people. 

and the public has a new shiny to read

#6pagesin

Thank God we need a new horse to beat to death...how deep can this thread good all summer? We can do it...until we get the new coach that is hired thread! :ph34r:

Big questions concerning who the Flyers hire. i'd also like to see some fresh blood on the Phantoms. And a great candidate for that job IMO would be Sheldon Keefe. Yes Keefe messed up when he was younger. Who hasn't? But what he's done turning around a once proud Soo Greyhound franchise in a mere 3 seasons is impressive. If he wins the Memorial Cup this year I could see him wanting another challenge. I think the guy is an up and comer, and it would be nice if the Flyers could go back to producing coaches instead of chasing everyone elses.

Making Vinny leave?

I honestly think Vinny will look a lot better under a new coach if the new coach is a real coach and not just some guy Snider, Clarke and Homer like hanging out with.

Good enough that we won't want to get rid of him?  No.  Good enough that we might be able to convince someone to take him?  Possibly. 

No, the challenge I was talking about was to hire a coach that will be good for developing this team over the next stretch and then actually committing to him and the rebuild plan long enough to see it to fruition.  It's a commitment and they can't be afraid to have a bad season in between in which the whole team essentially learns how to play hockey again.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=763834&navid=DL|PHI|home

Well, nothing changed. It’s just a process that I went through. I wanted to make the right decision. Once I kind of put all the facts together, and in the end you go with your gut, and I came up with the decision last night.

He who is hired by the gut, is fired by the gut.

:cool[1]:

Making Vinny leave?

I can't see it happening unless the Preds get bounced early they let Matt Cullen/and or Mike Ribeiro walk who are both UFAs and want to replace him with Vinny who wanted to play for Lavy anyways...which is highly unlikely but trade Vinny for some bent pucks....i also would expect the Pres to resign Ribeiro no matter what.

I honestly think Vinny will look a lot better under a new coach if the new coach is a real coach and not just some guy Snider, Clarke and Homer like hanging out with.

Good enough that we won't want to get rid of him?  No.  Good enough that we might be able to convince someone to take him?  Possibly. 

No, the challenge I was talking about was to hire a coach that will be good for developing this team over the next stretch and then actually committing to him and the rebuild plan long enough to see it to fruition.  It's a commitment and they can't be afraid to have a bad season in between in which the whole team essentially learns how to play hockey again.

He could certainly get better with another coach, but are you willing to risk him doing the same thing with another coach? He played like he didnt care for most of the season. There are better options out there, for the money he stole, uhhh, I mean made

I think Timmy P had this article in the can, in case this happened.

Craig Berube has been fired as coach of theFlyers.

The 49-year-old former Flyers enforcer replaced Peter Laviolette in the fourth game of last season and took the Flyers to a third-place finish in the Metropolitan Division with a 42-27-10 record (94 points). 

The Flyers lost in a seven-game, first-round playoff series to the New York Rangers, who eventually won the Eastern Conference.

This season, the Flyers took numerous steps backwards, missing the playoffs while finishing sixth in the division (12th overall) with a 33-31-18 record (84 points). Berube’s two-year record was 75-58-28.

In recent weeks, Berube seemed resigned to his fate. It was reflected in his voice and facial expressions during several interviews with reporters, although he said publicly he felt he'd return next fall. 

To the very end, he insisted his team was better than it had performed and agreed with general manager Ron Hextall that the roster didn’t need to be gutted.

“I still do,” Berube said when asked if he believed in his team. “It’s a fine line between winning and losing. It really is. 

“A lot of it’s mental. It’s just a fine line. Injuries, different things that come up. It’s a fine line. There’s good hockey players here, and a group of guys that believe in themselves and like each other and are hard workers.”

No single factor was responsible for Berube’s firing yet one word summed up the season: Inconsistency. 

If anything, a combination of factors, many of which lie at the feet of former GM Paul Holmgren, placed Berube in a no-win situation, similar to Laviolette. He takes the fall for management.

The Flyers for the second consecutive year were cash-strapped by the salary cap, unable to make significant improvements where needed most — on defense and a scoring winger.

This season’s group remained largely unchanged from last with the notable absences of power forward Scott Hartnell (traded) and veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen, who didn’t play a single game for the Flyers because of blood clots in his legs and lungs before being moved at the trade deadline to Chicago.

As much as the Flyers sorely missed Hartnell’s offense, it was Timonen’s absence on defense and especially the penalty kill that undermined whoever coached this club.

Berube’s club underachieved in several areas:

• 10 road wins, the fewest since 1972 (7)

• 43 games decided by one goal (15 wins)

• A team average of 2.56 goals a game, worst since 1969-70 (2.55)

• A 3-11 shootout record 

• A 27th overall ranking on the penalty kill

• A 29th overall ranking in road penalty killing

• Just three wins among 34 games when trailing after two periods

“Our road record is the biggest thing for me,” Berube said recently. “When you look at the road and different things on the road that have happened — not enough scoring, shootout losses, PK at times.”

Starting in 2010-11, the Flyers twice had consecutive seasons with a franchise record 25 road victories. That’s how far they’ve fallen since.

The bulk of the Flyers' problems winning on the road can be traced to low-scoring games in which their penalty kill gave up a decisive goal that the Flyers weren’t able to offset either on the power play or at even strength.

Five-on-five scoring (138) was down throughout the team. Claude Giroux didn’t score an even-strength goal on home ice until the 36th game here. 

The Flyers had seven 20-goal scorers in Berube’s first season as coach and just four this season — just three heading into March.

Also, a number of younger players — Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn and Matt Read — failed to take another step in their development. That said, Hextall needs to realistically evaluate whether there is that “next” step for any of these players from an offensive standpoint or if this is as good as it gets.

Obviously, not all of this can be blamed solely on the head coach. It’s expected the Flyers' entire coaching staff will be overturned, with the possible exception of Joey Mullen. His power-play units were again ranked among the NHL’s top five (finished third).

Berube’s club struggled in almost every facet of its game. 

What does it say when starting goalie Steve Mason, who missed significant time with injuries, finished with a losing record yet was third in save percentage (.928) and seventh in goals-against average (2.25). 

Mason won just two games on the road this season, solely because the Flyers seldom gave him any goal support.

Despite suggestions by some that Berube and Mason had issues with each other or this was somehow tied to goalie coach Jeff Reese’s departure, it simply was untrue as Mason and others said.

Yet the fan base turned against Berube because of such and his handling of Vinny Lecavalier, a misfit from the get-go who should never have been signed given the abundance of centers. 

Berube’s firing likely had its roots in the fact the Flyers were maddeningly inconsistent in their game-to-game performances. Hextall railed numerous times about the club’s “lack of consistency.”

Throughout the season, the Flyers continually rose to the occasion against teams better than themselves, then seemed disinterested against teams below them in the standings. 

The Flyers were 12-2-4 over their final 18 games against teams in the playoffs. Conversely, they also lost 12 straight against non-playoff clubs at season’s end.

Far too often, veteran leaders, such as Wayne Simmonds and even Mason himself, said the club was mentally unprepared after such losses.

From a management standpoint, that had to weigh heavily against Berube in Hextall’s mind.

The club appeared mentally incapable all season of coming from behind as evidenced by just three wins after the second period. The year before they won 11 games in the third period alone. Obviously, the team lacked for confidence.

“Last year we had this mojo going in the third period where we were coming from behind and we knew we were going to,” Berube said. “This year we didn’t have that mojo.”

Taken as a whole, the brunt of the problem lies in the Flyers' failure to significantly upgrade a slow and aging defense which has shown significant defensive liabilities in front of its goaltenders for three years now.

In today’s NHL, the offense begins with the defense’s ability to start quickly out of its own end. The Flyers often didn’t hit full stride until well past the red line.

Hextall fired defensive coach John Paddock last summer and replaced him with Gord Murphy. Still, the defense was no better than before.

A number of high-profile coaches are expected to be available this summer.

Detroit’s Mike Babcock heads the list, as his contract is up. Yet his $5 million price tag likely would not get Comcast approval. Also, Babcock’s culture in Detroit has always been European heavy. The culture here is radically different.

Among the more realistic possibilities — assuming some are available if released — Todd McLellan, whose name has been mentioned repeatedly in recent weeks with the Flyers; Dave Tippett, who could bring goalie coach Sean Burke to his next club; Ken Hitchcock, Dan Bylsma, Claude Julien, Randy Carlyle, Kevin Dineen and Peter DeBoer. 

And what about former Flyers coach John Stevens, who is slated to someday succeed Darryl Sutter in Los Angeles, or Jeff Blashill, a rising star in Grand Rapids, who has been waiting patiently behind Babcock?

There’s also Carolina assistant coach Rod Brind’Amour.

Hextall opted to back out of attending the IIHF World Championships with Team Canada this spring in the Czech Republic.

He has a larger and far more difficult task to tackle right here in Philadelphia.

And it began today with Berube’s firing.

Either Tippet or Blashill go fresh no more retreades

He could certainly get better with another coach, but are you willing to risk him doing the same thing with another coach? He played like he didnt care for most of the season. There are better options out there, for the money he stole, uhhh, I mean made

There's no risk.

he's not getting traded as things are.  He's playing here next year anyway and we're paying through the nose to have him.  Either he improves and makes himself look appetizing for a trade (like Berube was the problem all along) or he continues to stink and we're stuck with him. 

I don't see any options to get rid of him appearing in the mean time.  If they do, yeah sure take them... but I'm not sure I'd take on any of his salary to do it.  Maybe a million.  But not the 2 million people are talking about. 

Unfortunately, in regards to VLC, you need to move forward as if he's going to be on the team next year. Any coach you bring in will have to articulate a solid vision of what to do with him, as well as with the younger guys like Schenn and Couturier. Next year is a development year (I know, they want to "compete for the Cup," but it's just unlikely), so hopefully the new coach will have some concrete ideas on how to improve Schenn and Couturier's games, as well as develop any other youngsters who may stick around next year - and stick with those ideas for more than a period and a half if they don't tear it up right away.

But not the 2 million people are talking about.

The difference for most people is between a buyout (where the cap hit extends) and a salary retention (where it doesn't).

The basic idea would be to retain salary up to the point where the cap hit would be more beneficial buying him out.

You hopefully don't have to go that high. If they can get rid of him for $1M and realize a $3.5M cap savings - that would be great.

That said, saving $2.5M is better, IMO, than keeping him on at $4.5M.

Here are some numbers

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/fun-with-nhl-buyout-calculations-salary-cap-recapture/

• 2015-16: $2,888,889
  • 2016-17: $2,888,889
  • 2017-18: $2,388,889
  • 2018-19: $888,889
  • 2019-20: $888,889
  • 2020-21: $888,889

I have heard some rumours that a potential coach for the Flyers might be Benoit Groulx...

He is the current coach of the, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Gatineau Olympiques, and just coach the Canadian Juniors to the Gold medal...

He comes from Hull, which produces some Good NHL coaches in Pat Burn, Alain Vignault and Claude Julien...

Gatineau (used to be Hull) has been know to produce some good players and some good coaches...

True, he has no NHL experience, but Groulx has been known for bringing out the best in his players and many say he is a good teacher...

He is definitely something that the Flyers have not had before and aside from coaching Giroux (and we all know what G did in the Juniors), he has no other connection with the team...

What do you guys think???

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/64702-berube-is-selfish-and-salvage-his-job-instead-of-playing-young-dmen/page-3

Posted Apr 10, 2015 - 04:07 PM

How about Gatineau Olympiques coach Benoit Groulx????

I think he is going to coach Canada's next junior squad???

I want a guy with some new blood and is good with young guys.

Noone has any input on these suggestions?

I mentioned him or Dave Lowry but noone responded........

I mentioned him the other day.

I'll try to find it and repost it.

365.gif

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/64702-berube-is-selfish-and-salvage-his-job-instead-of-playing-young-dmen/page-3

Posted Apr 10, 2015 - 04:07 PM

How about Gatineau Olympiques coach Benoit Groulx????

I think he is going to coach Canada's next junior squad???

I want a guy with some new blood and is good with young guys.

Noone has any input on these suggestions?

I mentioned him or Dave Lowry but noone responded........

Damn it, Berube gets canned while I am traveling for work and I have to wait until Page 7 to post my joy #%^#. :)

Regarding Benoit Groulx, just say NO!!!!! He was the coach of the AHL Rochester Americans a few years ago and I saw first hand how he ruined the team. He may be good at teaching youth but he was in way over his head trying to teach at the pro level. The older vets resented him and the lockerroom became toxic. Good Juniors coach but not pro material IMHO

Damn it, Berube gets canned while I am traveling for work and I have to wait until Page 7 to post my joy #%^#. :)

Regarding Benoit Groulx, just say NO!!!!! He was the coach of the AHL Rochester Americans a few years ago and I saw first hand how he ruined the team. He may be good at teaching youth but he was in way over his head trying to teach at the pro level. The older vets resented him and the lockerroom became toxic. Good Juniors coach but not pro material IMHO

See, this is the thing I hate about people saying "no" to coaches. People act as if once coaches are fired, they don't re-evaluate their coaching mentality and change the way they approach the game. If that were the case, no coach would ever be able to find a new job in a different organization if they were fired, nor would they ever go on to win championships elsewhere. 

Julien was hated by Montreal and NJ fans...guess what happened? He won a cup in BOS. Darryl Sutter was hated by CHI, SJ and CGY fans, then he went on to be the most glamorized coach in the NHL with LA, and now Kings fans are turning on him.

Archived