• Lightning in 4 (Sweep)
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Rangers in 4 (Sweep)
    • Rangers in 5
    • Rangers in 6
    • Rangers in 7

I think the series against the Caps was the perfect preparation for this one. I think roll they went on to come back in that one gives them the edge. They won't be denied a chance to atone for last season's Finals loss. New York in six.

The most skilled team in hockey against the masters of the clutch and grab.

I always go with the better goalie and I am not sold on Bishop even after two rounds. He won game seven against the Wings with a brilliant shutout but for the most part, the Bolts victories would have been won no matter who was in net. On the other end, Lundqvist won four one goal games against the explosive Capitals.

That said, I went Bolts in seven, because so far this postseason (except the Ducks) I have been wrong more than right. So I am going against my gut and picking the young upstart Lightning. I would feel a lot better about this pick if I knew what the deal was with Callahan.

I always go with the better goalie and I am not sold on Bishop even after two rounds. He won game seven against the Wings with a brilliant shutout but for the most part, the Bolts victories would have been won no matter who was in net. On the other end, Lundqvist won four one goal games against the explosive Capitals.

That said, I went Bolts in seven, because so far this postseason (except the Ducks) I have been wrong more than right. So I am going against my gut and picking the young upstart Lightning. I would feel a lot better about this pick if I knew what the deal was with Callahan.

I am saying Bolts in 7 because AV is pairing Yandle with Boyle and it is hilarious. Tampa has more forward depth than the caps and can exploit that matchup. Bishop was incredibly solid vs Montreal

Well, I got the matchup I wanted for the ECF....even as far back from before the regular season ended.

I always thought, if the Lightning were going to put themselves on the perennial contender map, what better way to do it than to beat the reigning Eastern Conference Champion New York Rangers, right?

This will be the Bolts' toughest match up to date.

Tampa Bay had all they could handle against Detroit's defensive schemes and Montreal's combination of experience and having to beat Carey Price.

But I always felt the Lightning to be the better overall team over those clubs.....only thing they were really lacking was the playoff legs against those clubs.

That and Ben Bishop being wholly unproven in the post season.

Against New York, the Bolts will find themselves once again in a spot where they play second fiddle in goal, experience, and for the first time this post season, face off against a team that could possibly skate at the same pace as them.

Still though, I DO like this match up better than if it were the Capitals.

I believe if the Lightning can keep their wits about them, they give themselves a very good chance to beat the Rangers.

I said in previous series that the Bolts sometimes played 'tentatively'....yet they still managed to win against the Wings and Habs through the sheer force of their skill and speed (and some post luck helped them along as well).

Tampa Bay simply CANNOT play tentatively, in a shell, or anything else that suggests they doubt themselves against the Rangers.

Just can't do it.

These Rangers are now experienced and skilled enough, having fallen just short of a Stanley Cup last year and making another run this year, that they will absolutely squash any hopes the Lightning may have to go further if the Bolts play like they did for stretches during the previous series.

IMO, the Bolts need to play their speed and skill game, activate their defense whenever possible, their stars need to be their stars, and Ben Bishop, of course, needs to make the big stops on the chances that the Bolts will surely give up playing their style.

If THAT isn't good enough to beat the Rangers, then so be it...but Tampa Bay absolutely cannot change who they are...especially at this juncture in the playoffs.

Getting away from who they are is what I believe kept the Wings and Habs in their series...once TB played Lightning hockey (with the good and bad that go with it), they showed why they were the superior team in those series.

As for NY, they will have their hands full as well, if the Bolts play like the Bolts.

The Rangers beat a fast, but depleted Penguins team and a strong checking and scoring team in the Caps....but the Bolts will offer a new kind of challenge for them.

New York will see a team that can match or surpass their own team speed, and a team that has large mobile defensemen with an underrated physical side to them (again, if they play that way), but who can also jump in plays and create havoc in the offensive zone, especially if they get chances off the rush.

I will say the Rangers are squarely the favorites in this series though.

President's trophy winners, home ice, big experience edge, certainly hungry and have a decided edge in goal.

It will be up to the Lightning to knock off the big dogs in the East and grab a place at the big boys table for themselves.

Time for TB's young stars to complete the 'grow up' process....and hope they don't have to learn (ala last season) the hard way, lessons in how to play post season hockey against a seasoned team.

Go Bolts!

Dammit yave!  I'm cheering for the Bolts.  Change your pick!

Still though, I DO like this match up better than if it were the Capitals.

I am never sold on the Capitals and always assume they will fail.   But I was thinking much the same thing.  As tough as the Rangers will be, I just wasn't comfortable with the Capitals matchup for the Bolts.  I picked the Rangers in six, but this series is definitely doable for Tampa.

Rags in 5.... 

I will be rooting against the Rags but I dont see TB stacking up against the Rags.   The "real" Coburn is exposed...  what is the story on Callahan for this series??

I've seen nothing official but I would expect him to miss at least the first three games.

That's just astoundingly astounding.

I had an emergency appendectomy when I was 27.  I was in the hospital for 11 days. Granted, it had been ruptured for nearly two days before I went to the hospital and I almost died, and thankfully the doctor was an older younger European or I would have, but still, if he was skating today that's remarkable.

He must be a hockey player.  A baseball player would be out until July.

I had an emergency appendectomy when I was 27.  I was in the hospital for 11 days. Granted, it had been ruptured for nearly two days before I went to the hospital and I almost died, and thankfully the doctor was an older younger European or I would have, but still, if he was skating today that's remarkable.

This is a lesser example of what we saw from Rich Peverley.

A soccer player would be out until Armageddon.  :cool[1]:

And a basketball player would have sat out the entire next season........

EDIT:

Didn't see  @ScottM  's commen till after I posted....after Armageddon DEFINITELY has next season trumped.... :D

Rags in 5.... 

I will be rooting against the Rags but I dont see TB stacking up against the Rags.   The "real" Coburn is exposed...  what is the story on Callahan for this series??

If Vigneault keeps pairing Yandle with Boyle, the Bolts skilled forwards are going to give us a lot more LOL's than the Caps did and King Henrik might get ejected for trying to decapitate his own coach

Rangers take the hardest route possible to the Stanley Cup Finals.....21 games to get to the prize. It will be close, but the Bolts have no answer for Girardi and McDonaugh.....that is really what sets these teams apart, that and the King's experience factor over Big Ben. As much as I hate to say it...Rags in 7.

I have just become the worlds biggest Bolts fan, can't even fathom having to put up with the rags in one more series.....GO BOLTS GO!!

Two votes for a Bolts sweep....ballsy predcition right there....cause I just cannot see the King going down in 4 straight....if that comes true, it will be one of the best predictions ever for a playoff series.

I'm very interested to see how Ben Bishop responds to the rags multi faceted offensive striking ability. The Rags are playing such a wonderful, controlled team game right now, the forwards and defense are really in sync.....and playing a magnificient brand of complete team defense. The forwards are backchecking like demons.....the Bolts are gonna have their hands full matching their intenstiy and work ethic.....

One of the all time cliches in playoff hockey, but never has it been more poignant, the teams that wants it the most is gonna win, and the Rags look like one big hungry, desperate team.

Very, very tough 2-1 loss by the Bolts in Game 1.

Even though the Bolts didn't play their best, I felt they had just as much a chance to take this thing.

Two late period goals by NY...one in the 2nd, one in the 3rd.

Heartbreaking.

At least the Bolts got a PP goal...as special teams WILL be key in this series.

A bit more tightening up on defense (more like smarter decision making on exiting), continue the same pressure offensively, make good on PP opportunities, and the Lightning should do well in Game 2.

I haven't felt LITERALLY this drained from watching a game in a LONG time.... :confused[1]:

Guess what they say is true: emotional investments in a game CAN be very taxing, as opposed to watching two teams you have no rooting interest in.......I need a nice 'sharp' lemonade... ;)

Just how valuable has Lundqvist been this post season....ALL of the Rangers wins this post season have come by ONE goal....how friggin amazing is that....a mind boggling stat....15 one goal wins with the ECF just starting....this has to be a record....no?  Anyone know the record...might be hard to look up...not sure.

@jammer2

According to the NY Times, the current Rangers streak of 15 consec 1-goal games IS an NHL record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/sports/hockey/by-now-weary-rangers-fans-know-the-score-its-probably-2-1.html?_r=0

I like the bit about the string of 2-1 scores looking like morse code.....but to me, I think binary code....haha.

But you are right, J2, an absolute MIND BOGGLING stat.

Kind makes you wonder if the Rangers don't score enough.

But then again, seeing as how they made the Finals last year, and are in the the ECF this year again (and leading), they have been on the correct end of those scores more often than not.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  Really, just goes to show how very important a goalie is in the NHL playoffs. WAY more valuable than any ace pitcher that can only pitch every 4 days....and probably more important than an NFL QB...but that would be the best comparison. Rangers are an afterthought without King Lundy paving the way.

As per NHL.com, Brian Boyle's status is still up in the air:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=39824&navid=nhl:topheads

I'd LIKE to think it's a game time decision thing, but the article doesn't even mention that.

An important cog in the bottom six an in the penalty kill, his absence, should that be the case, will leave the 3rd and 4th lines a bit jumbled.

According to the lines put up in the above link, Ryan Callahan will be dropped to the 3rd line, which is centered by Cedric Paquette and has Jonathan Marchessault on the other wing.

4th line will be centered by Vladislav Namestnikov, with Morrow and Brown his wingers.

I dunno...I think I'd rather have Namestnikov as the THIRD line center with Callahan and Marchessault, and put Paquette as the center to Morrow and Brown....that would be a TRUE checking 4th line.

We will see how long Coach Cooper sticks with what was announced....wouldn't surprise me if the coach announces certain lines, then come game time, he switches things up anyways...he'd almost HAVE to as the visiting coach who doesn't have last change.

Same 6 D-men look like they will be run out...Mark Barberio and Nikita Nesterov will continue to sit.

Looks like Coach Cooper will be going with the most experience possible on the defense.

Personally, I would like to have seen Nesterov inserted tonight and maybe have either Matt Carle or Andrej Sustr sit out a game.

Nesterov lacks in XP obviously, but the guy checks pretty well and has a good shot on par with Jason Garrison's....

@Yorick  I don't like the looks of this. The Rangers getting more than one goal from Rick Nash....St.Louis finally breaks through....what if *he* gets going? Kreider with his 18th goal in the playoffs....and what about Stephan...with 15 career playoff goals. Slowly but surely, you can see how the NYR can pull this thing off....and it sickens me to no end. THEY MUST BE STOPPED. What if they Ducks play the Rags...and Andersson implodes in the finals.....WTF!!!!   GET THE RAGS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived